Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there...
i was reading in another post that you have over 12K miles on your bike. could you let me know some of the problems or things to look for on my y2k katana,if any? i only have 2500 miles on it and so far, everything is great. oh, and i was wondering if any modifications were done to your kat?... exhaust,fender elim. kit, etc.
by the way....
this question is for any of the katana owners. any info would greatly be appreciated...thanks for the help.

ride safe,
richie

------------------

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have 18600 miles on mine and have not had any problems. I just had my chain replaced, have gone through a few sets of tires and had all of the regular maintance done. If you follow by the book and take care of your bike then it should last for a long time.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just turned 15000 miles today, and no problems with the bike, yet. I replaced the chain at 14000 miles and I am now on front tire #2 and rear tire #3. The bike has been great. I have had all the factory service checks done on it and I just changed the oil to Royal Purple synthetic. I can feel a difference in the motor, in just 300 miles, with this stuff. It seems to run smoother, quieter, and revs easier. I have not checked the fuel mileage yet.
Good luck with your Katana. By the way, mine is now for sale. See signature block :mad:

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
40 tickets now. I need a Hayabusa!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys, i was just wondering what kind of things to expect to replace and at what mileage. i know it's different for everyone becuase everyone rides different. but thanks again.
sorry to hear about your ticket todd. hope you win your case.
oh,and i have pictures of my bike with my fender eliminator kit if anyone wants to see how it looks. :D

ride safe,
richie

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wheels,

I did the Dremel tool fender elimination job. You will have to relocate the license plate, just move it up as close to the light as you can. I put an LP Euro windscreen on the bike, helped tremendously with the wind buffeting. I can now report on the Royal Purple oil change that I did on Saturday. I usually go 160 miles before I have to switch over to Reserve. That's avg. of 40 - 44 mpg. I filled it up today with 185 miles on the same tank. I have never been that far on a tank before switching to reserve. It came out to 50.5 mpg.. Motor runs smoother and no more chain noise coming from the motor. Definitely worth the $5.35 a quart. I alos used a Wix oil filter, $7.99, and it increased the oil capacity. Instead of the factory 3.7 qts., I now use 4.0 qts..
Tires - rear Macadam went 6500 mile, front Macadam went 10000 miles.
Chain - 14000 miles.
That's it so far. Good luck

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm impressed with those results. My next oil change Me thinks me must try it.

------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up... I wanna be a SQUIIIID!"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey wheels,
Check out the Katana Owners forum here:
http://pub12.ezboard.com/fmartinsazmotorcycleboardssuzukikatana

I have 3k on mine with a yoshi slip-on fender chop, carbon short stalk rear blinkers and a Katana tank Bra. Check out my site if you want to see all the mods up close and personal. There is also links to 10-15 other Katana owners sites.

------------------
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "
http://troybaker.com/600

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info guys....
i really like the katana sites, i look forward to reading those posts. i too did the fender eliminator job and put black short stalk turn signals on.it really looks super clean. :D i also took the chrome katana stickers off but left the 600 stickers. thanks again

ride safe,
richie

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by His_Suzuki:
Wheels,

I did the Dremel tool fender elimination job. You will have to relocate the license plate, just move it up as close to the light as you can. I put an LP Euro windscreen on the bike, helped tremendously with the wind buffeting. I can now report on the Royal Purple oil change that I did on Saturday. I usually go 160 miles before I have to switch over to Reserve. That's avg. of 40 - 44 mpg. I filled it up today with 185 miles on the same tank. I have never been that far on a tank before switching to reserve. It came out to 50.5 mpg.. Motor runs smoother and no more chain noise coming from the motor. Definitely worth the $5.35 a quart. I alos used a Wix oil filter, $7.99, and it increased the oil capacity. Instead of the factory 3.7 qts., I now use 4.0 qts..
Tires - rear Macadam went 6500 mile, front Macadam went 10000 miles.
Chain - 14000 miles.
That's it so far. Good luck

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get it- you pay out the ass for oil, but ride on tires that have lost anything resembling grip several thousand miles ago???

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
169 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
I don't get it- you pay out the ass for oil,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for tickets also ! :p just kidding, take it easy !

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tristan,

I was telling Wheels how long the stock tires will last. I am on my 3rd rear tire now and my 2nd front tire. I don't even like to ride on tires that have lost enough tread that it does not resemble the tread design that it came with.

By the way, go with the 160/60 17 if you are on a 99 - 00 model Katana. It provides a much better safety zone, when leaned way over in the turns.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

1 - 11 of 11 Posts