Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you rate particular racers?
In the bigger race organizations, such as AMA Superbike, Supersport, Extreme, or World Superbike and GP500?

Personally, I can't stand the Roberts. I watched the last Extreme race where someone else was riding Roberts 929R and that guy won. I guess if you have good skill and a superior ride then everyone else, you will win easily like Roberts did. His brother maybe more skilled but is just too arrogant for my liking. While we are on the subject of annoying US racers, I think that Edwards is another cry baby egotist. However, I'm glad that Americans won.

What do you think,

Marc

·
Registered
503 Posts
i think 99% of pro racers have way huge ego's. but if i were on that level i would too. might as well root for the hometown ego than some ego from across the pond.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
big racers--anyone miss the old days when guys like schwantz and rainey gave it 150% all the time. plus they never held back and still don't.

but today's guys, i get flamed everytime i say it, but anthony gobert is incredible. i only saw him race a few times, but the stalker (chris walker) in bsb is also awesome. the guys who back it in are neat, but the guys like schwantz, roberts sr., et al who hung it out mid corner, they're awesome, and that's walker.

500's have v.d.gurberg (sp?) who's just sticking it to a lot of v4 guys on a crappy nsr500v. that's awesome. he's an excellent rain guy.

as far as people, schwantz and kipp are the two coolest racers i met. duhamel, the biggest @$$hole.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
While I agree Kurtis Roberts has a ton of talent....

#1 I think any of the top 5 Formula Extreme racers would have won the series if they had the support and bike that he had.

#2 Erion Honda is in my opinion a FACTORY team. I don't care how much they deny it.

#3 God I hope that Yamaha puts together some type of factory team for the Formula Extreme series next year.

#4 I wish Kawasaki would bring Mike Taylor and his ZX9R (from the Candian series) down to the series and give him the factory support that Erion get's from Honda!

The Formula Extreme class should be renamed the "Honda CBR929RR class".

And the 750 SS class should be named the "GSXR750 class".

And am I the only one who laughes his ass off that the BUELL Pro Thunder class is DOMINATED by Ducati?

While I like the factory support in AMA, I sure do miss the old days when a privateer could win. :(

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't know about the World Superbike or GP guys but the AMA guys that I have dealt with are pretty good guys for the most part. Try not to judge them too harshly on race day before they race. The intensity level is way high and for a good reason. There are a handful of egotistical ones but most are pretty nice guys. My opinion could be a little skewed because when you are close enough to racing for some of them to recognize you as a team member but don't actually know much about you, they can see you as potential money/sponsor(BTW, I have no money). Meaning they are sort of like politicians. Also keep in mind that several of them are very shy and standoffish.

I will mention some by name. Tom Kipp is about the nicest racer out there. He will actually initiate conversations at the paddock. I sat next to Jason Pridmore on a plane to Brainard last year. We were next to Eric Bostrom and Pegram. They were all three quite friendly and didn't appear to be arrogant at all. Jason Pridmore talked to me quite a bit on the trip and was a very nice person and talked to me about his plans and Suzukis. I sat with Mike Hale during lunch at Road Atlanta in 98. He was very friendly but did seem shy and quiet. Dave Sadowski has always been very nice to me but I hear he was a pain in his younger days. :D

And of course the rider I work with, when my real job allows, Steve Grigg. He seems awfully harsh if you don't know him. He is very intense and can be tough to work with but he is actually a good guy that definitely knows it is a team sport. Steve and his dad have given me the opportunity to live out a dream I have had since the first live roadrace I saw in Loudon, NH back in 91. Thanks to Steve Grigg Jr & Sr. :cool:

None of the riders have ever been an ass to me. I don't mess with them if they are busy. Some of the people working with the tire manufacturers can be assholes. I won't mention names. ;)

Mongrel and AZ Scott may have some opinions on this topic. I believe they know quite a few of the pro riders.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Some of the AMA racers I have met...

Doug Chandler
Jamie Hacking
Mat Mladin
Nicky Hayden
Aaron Yates
Eric Bostrom
Tommy Hayden
Miguel DuHamel
Jason Pridmore

I would have to say the coolest (former) AMA racer I have met was Steve Crevier. I had the chance to sit and drink almost a full 5th of tequila with him a few years ago and the guy was funny as hell! Ok, so maybe to booze had a little to do with it. ;)

I got to ride on the back of a Katana750 with Pridmore on the track, and got the piss scared out of me!

In fact when I met Tommy Hayden it was because he was asking my girlfriend (at the time) for her phone number. She was a nice girl and said no, but I told him he could have the number if I could take his bike for a lap around the paddock. (Needless to say, she did not like that very much!)

I've met a few SBK riders

Colin Edwards
Noriyuki Haga (I sat across from him during dinner at Laguna in 99 and he had a some BRIGHT FIRE RED hair, and he ate like a pig).
Aaron Slight
Ben Bostrom (Back when he was with the AMA)

[Edited by Sportbikeworld on 11-15-2000 at 02:16 PM]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I have never met a pro-racer in person, I don't think it is hard to translate their behavior during conversations or post race interviews as a glimpse into the way the really are.

I agree that racing, like any sport, requires the participant to get into a proper mental framework prior to a race to maintain focus but some of these guys, especially the Roberts seem to go beyond the norm. I guess you can argue that being really skilled and riding for a factory (or close proximity) gives you somewhat of a "big-head". However, I don't think this gives you the right to be an a$$hole.

Guys like Crevier, Pridmore, Bostroms and even the Haydens seem to be pretty nice guys, however without meeting these guys who knows.

But, it is nice to see more Americans becoming more talented and competitive at home and abroad.

Have fun,

Marc :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My favourite racer is Miguel Duhamel. (Canadian! Woo hoo!)From what I see, he doesn't have a big ego. Sure, the guy is intense, but that's what it takes to win. Off the track, he is said to have a wicked sense of humour. I think a lot of people would have quit if they had gone through what he has.A friend of mine met him, and said that he is a great guy. Steve Crevier is, too. (& Canadian, too!)
One guy I cannot stand is Mat Mladin. Yeah, I'm all for fighting against rules, but he is whiny, spoilted, and disrespectful. I guess when you win like he does, you can be as big of an ass as you want.

Yeah, I agree...Erion Honda is a factory team...whatever they say about it!

[Edited by babyblade on 11-20-2000 at 07:37 AM]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Sportbikeworld said:
And the 750 SS class should be named the "GSXR750 class".
......While I like the factory support in AMA, I sure do miss the old days when a privateer could win. :(
one more blow against the privateer. rumor mill says the gsxr750 class is gone. which likely means fewer privateer superbikes. :(

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I agree totally about Steve Crevier. I met him during last Daytona and he was with the people next to us at the race. He was really down to earth and drives a badass audi wagon, an A4 I think. Imagine my pleasure when he starts checking out my bike and says "Thats a really nice looking bike, it that thing air cooled?" Totally passed over the F4 and GSXR600 that were there.
It is good to see a upper level athelete that is down to earth and has good taste as well. Its is a shame that most other atheletes (football, baseball, basketball) don't seem to come off as "normal people".
Never met The Go Show but... I have to respect a guy who can get high off dope and still race like a bat out of hell. My comment is geared towards the ability to race stoned because of the way it makes most people slow down. Wwwwaaaayyyyyy ddooooowwwwnn.
My disclaimer* before I get flamed. *Not that I support illegal use of marajuana nor do I use it.*

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
babyblade said:
My favourite racer is Miguel Duhamel. (Canadian! Woo hoo!)From what I see, he doesn't have a big ego. Sure, the guy is intense, but that's what it takes to win... Steve Crevier is, too. (& Canadian, too!)
One guy I cannot stand is Mat Mladin.

Yeah, I agree...Erion Honda is a factory team...whatever they say about it!

[Edited by babyblade on 11-20-2000 at 07:37 AM]
Hi babyblade,

I agree with you that Duhamel and Crevier seem to be nice guys and both have a sense of humor. I also agree with you on Mladin but I have to add the Roberts in his category as well.

Factory support is always nice, no matter what Erion says. BTW, I wouldn't mind taking Roberts Erion 929RR or F4 out for a spin around a track.

Have fun,

Marc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about Roberts. I think he feels he is the #3 rider for Honda behind Hayden and Duhamel. Too bad, so sad. If he is so upset, he should think about all the people who would kill to be in his postion!

And if any one of the Honda racers wants to donate a bike to me, I'd be happy to take it off their hands!

G

·
babyblade said:
Yeah, I forgot about Roberts. I think he feels he is the #3 rider for Honda behind Hayden and Duhamel. Too bad, so sad. If he is so upset, he should think about all the people who would kill to be in his postion!

And if any one of the Honda racers wants to donate a bike to me, I'd be happy to take it off their hands!
What about Pascal Picotte ?? No harley jokes ! ;)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
"Greats"

I had to have a copy of the tape of the 1992 Hungarian Grand Prix where "Steady" Eddie Lawson won the race on a Cagiva in the wet!!:) What a great race!!
In person I have met Dave Sadowski.I had the honor of being able to help him work on one of his bikes in the pits one time.He seemed embarassed when I asked him for his autograph.A real down to earth nice guy,just like you see on TV!!

Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
babyblade said:
If he is so upset, he should think about all the people who would kill to be in his postion!

I'd like one too if they are giving them away. :)

Have fun,

Marc

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i met ben bostrom when he was racing for zero gravity. this was when crevier was hurt and bostrom would pit next to the honda team. miguel was gracing the masses with autographes, and being the huge miguel fan that i am, i walked past and asked bostrom for one. he looked at me like, 'really?, miguel is gracing the fans'. anyway, i'm sure things are different now. in all fairness to miguel, he apologized to the fans after the race and said he'd sign autographs and all that. but i've never been a fan.

as for kurtis roberts, i remember he got four laps of practice on the rc51 and nicky went down. they said sorry kid, but nicky is our rider. and he was pissed. nicky is in a points battle and he thinks he should ride instead of hayden!!!! i never met the guy, but don't care to.

matt mladin haters, in roadracingworld's classifieds, there is a guy selling anyone but mladin shirts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Bell County sign Szoke to ride VR1000s

by maurice hemplsten

From the press release:

Austin/Bleu Bayou Racing has signed Canadian Superbike runner-up Jordan Szoke to ride the team's Harley-Davidson VR1000 for a one-year contract, covering the 2001 AMA Superbike season. The past year saw Jordan on the Canadian Superbike podium five times in seven outings, with four wins.

The team, formerly known as Bell County/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing, has also received a boost with the addition of Austin Harley-Davidson as a primary sponsor. Effective immediately, the team will be called Austin/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing.

In addition to rider and sponsor changes for the upcoming season, Austin/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing and Harley-Davidson Motor Company have agreed to collaborate on their AMA Superbike efforts for 2001, with the Motor Company providing VR1000 privateer bikes and technical support to Austin/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
JDM1200 said:
Bell County sign Szoke to ride VR1000s

by maurice hemplsten

From the press release:

Austin/Bleu Bayou Racing has signed Canadian Superbike runner-up Jordan Szoke to ride the team's Harley-Davidson VR1000 for a one-year contract, covering the 2001 AMA Superbike season. The past year saw Jordan on the Canadian Superbike podium five times in seven outings, with four wins.

The team, formerly known as Bell County/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing, has also received a boost with the addition of Austin Harley-Davidson as a primary sponsor. Effective immediately, the team will be called Austin/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing.

In addition to rider and sponsor changes for the upcoming season, Austin/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing and Harley-Davidson Motor Company have agreed to collaborate on their AMA Superbike efforts for 2001, with the Motor Company providing VR1000 privateer bikes and technical support to Austin/Bleu Bayou H-D Racing
That is excellent. Szoke is quite talented. That is one of the sharpest teams in the paddock. They are a very professional and very personable group of guys. I wish them luck. They will need it since Harley keeps sending them crap to work with. They run VRs with the single-sided swingarms and they look great with that set up... if they could only get engines that would stay together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts