Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the flames out... I was joking.

I AM a new rider, but I'll probably be picking up a used 250 for my first bike AFTER I take the MSF course.

Just wanted to say hi since I'm new on these boards. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

The sad thing is... if I asked that question a few months a ago, I would NOT have been joking around.

Thankfully, we have great resources like these message boards to keep the newbies alive. :thumb:

·
Registered
107 Posts
On this board you'll get much praise for starting with a 250. But I would have been very dissapointed had I started on a 250. Sure it's a great learning bike, but if you're going to keep it more than a few months, you'll probably want something bigger.

Then again, if you've never tasted the power of anything bigger, and don't know what you're missing, you may not feel the need to upgrade down the road.

I started out on a CBR600 F2, and it was a great learner bike IMO.

Brian

·
Registered
482 Posts
Biggest mistake for getting the 2-fitty as a starter and for signing for the MSF course :D

Flame thrower wasnt completely turned off!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Red Stick, a little off the subject but I was wondering if there is anything you DON'T like about your YZF? I am thinking of getting one because like you said, my 250 is too small.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red_Stick_YZF said:

Then again, if you've never tasted the power of anything bigger, and don't know what you're missing, you may not feel the need to upgrade down the road.

I started out on a CBR600 F2, and it was a great learner bike IMO.

Brian
Good point.

I'm staying away from touching any 600s because I might like the extra power a little too much.

As far as the need to upgrade, I'm looking at riding as a long term thing... I'll have more than enough time to spend on a 600 after I outgrow my 250.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I personally give you tons of props for realizing that you need to have an interim starter bike. Most people don't realize they're mortal until after they are pavement crayons... :hurl:

Honestly, most 250s are decent bikes for your first year or two of riding. I would be looking at one if I didn't have past riding experience under my belt. Heck, even the little 125s we rode in the MSF safety course could handle the torture decently. Sure, the speedos maxed out at 80mph, but they served their purpose. Happy and safe riding! :D

Oh, and another alternative if you choose to push your luck is to go for one of the odd-ball 500cc bikes. Suzuki has the GS500E and Kawasaki has the Ninja EX500 which is technically a 498, but who's counting?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts