Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyy guys my name is Aidan you can call me ayyydon lol,but i am relitivly new to motorcycle's i have had a few dirtbikes and raced for a year or two.ever since i saw a sportbike fly past me when i was around 4 or 5 i was completly ubssesed with motorcycles,i dont have a bike YET,but i am planning on getting a 600cc within the next 2 or 3 months i would really like a CBR600RR some were around the 03 to 05 range or a daytona 675 i wanted to be able to get as much info as i could before i get a bike i know a 600 for my first bike might be a bit much but i already have a some experince with motorcycles(i know dirtbike's are tottaly differnt but at least it is some kinda experence)i know if i get like a lesser bike i wont be happy with it.
what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Joke post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Honestly? I didn't think you'd seriously post something so idiotic and be serious. Guess I was obviously wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
I think what Vipes means is that you should take some time to read the new riders section, especially the stickies at the top of the page. You've already admitted that a 600 may be too much to start on, yet you've come here looking for validation. Except for a few younger riders, you won't find support for the idea of starting on a 600, which you seemed to know when you posted.

With the amount of information already here on first bikes, many of the long-time members get frustrated when someone asks a question that is already covered extensively. Occasionally, Harley guys come trolling here and post something silly to get people worked up, then sit back and watch the firestorm. Your post appears to fit the troll routine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
mkeeney's right. Were not trying to bash you or anything. Your hear looking for advice and thats what were gonna give you. We all LOVE to ride....Safely. Riding on the street is a breed apart from dirtbikes. The dirtbike experience will DEFINITLY help. Its like driving a car that people dont often keep an eye out for. All were trying to do is keep you riding....cause thats the point right?

That being said....an sv650, any 500cc are the starter bikes of choice for most on the board. I see you are already going to buy used....great idea! Now you dont have to ride these bikes for your whole life. Even just a few months on em is better than nothing and you can often sell them for damn near what you bought them for.

I realize vipes posts might have been a little harsh but you have to understand that there are so many threads on first bikes. doing a quick search of the board and you will likely get the advice you were searching for and it will save you some typing :)

so theres my advice, take it or leave it. Keep the rubber side down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
you can gain some smarts by first learning to be a lil humble and realize you are not ready for a 600, try a small displacement bike, trust me im shure your worried you wont be the koolest kid on the block, but youll be learning and that really what you need to do first. dirtbikes are dirtbikes, a 600cc sportbike is a street legal race bike, way more bike than you should have between your legs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Gee I wonder if I could find my first post that was very similar to this, maybe not cuase I didn't make one or it got deleted.

Anyway My first street bike was an 01 R6. I had years and years of dirt bike expereince. So I went out and at least bought a used bike. got a great deal on it. Crashed it two days latter. haha no not really. Didn't even ride it till late march of that year. I rode that bike for a year before I wreck it. Almost exactly one year after I got it. I wrecked becuase I was inexpereinced rider on a track. I was riding above my abilty. had nothing to do with the bike at all. I lowsided at between trun 1 and 2 at jennings GP. But its all an expereince thing. I could of saved it. no problem.

now I have an 05 R6 track bike. and an FZ1 steet bike.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
Welcome :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
mkeeney's right. Were not trying to bash you or anything. Your hear looking for advice and thats what were gonna give you. We all LOVE to ride....Safely. Riding on the street is a breed apart from dirtbikes. The dirtbike experience will DEFINITLY help. Its like driving a car that people dont often keep an eye out for. All were trying to do is keep you riding....cause thats the point right?

That being said....an sv650, any 500cc are the starter bikes of choice for most on the board. I see you are already going to buy used....great idea! Now you dont have to ride these bikes for your whole life. Even just a few months on em is better than nothing and you can often sell them for damn near what you bought them for.

I realize vipes posts might have been a little harsh but you have to understand that there are so many threads on first bikes. doing a quick search of the board and you will likely get the advice you were searching for and it will save you some typing :)

so theres my advice, take it or leave it. Keep the rubber side down.
I'm glad you guys are so patient because I'm not. With all the information on this board that people choose not to use, I've lost my patience completely with young, idiotic riders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I gotta say vipes, I think youre out of line. Sure he may be young and is interested in a 600cc bike, but he hasnt said anything "idiotic". No talk of speeding, wheelies, etc. There are much better ways to give insight to a young person interested in bikes than that. He may have no clue of the difference between say, sv650 and 600rr. Sure he can read up, but arent we on a forum to give personalized help. Original poster- I forgot your screen name but welcome to the sight. Do some research, ask some ?'s, and use your head to make a good decision on a bike. If you must have a 600cc I4 for a first bike, be carefull and take it slow. These guys arent joking that its a street legal race bike, and way more than a beginer needs. You can get into trouuble in a hurry, so be smart. I recomend an sv650. Still has tons of power and will take a long time to grow into, but a little(not much) more forgiving than an I4-600cc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
aydon, why not aim for the next step up from a beginner being the Suzy SV-650 or the Kwacker 650N? Both are with regular riding positions & a lot of fun riding then a year or two down the road a possibly 'used' 600cc sportbike in prime condition for YES they do tend to pop up.

After all some of your money has to go for proper riding gear & being a dirt comp rider for 42 yrs believe me all bar the helmet had to be upgraded. In fact the open face helmet we use then was replaced with a full face helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
jab said:
I gotta say vipes, I think youre out of line. Sure he may be young and is interested in a 600cc bike, but he hasnt said anything "idiotic". No talk of speeding, wheelies, etc. There are much better ways to give insight to a young person interested in bikes than that. He may have no clue of the difference between say, sv650 and 600rr. Sure he can read up, but arent we on a forum to give personalized help. Original poster- I forgot your screen name but welcome to the sight. Do some research, ask some ?'s, and use your head to make a good decision on a bike. If you must have a 600cc I4 for a first bike, be carefull and take it slow. These guys arent joking that its a street legal race bike, and way more than a beginer needs. You can get into trouuble in a hurry, so be smart. I recomend an sv650. Still has tons of power and will take a long time to grow into, but a little(not much) more forgiving than an I4-600cc.
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. But as per his post...

"i know a 600 for my first bike might be a bit much but i already have a some experince with motorcycles(i know dirtbike's are tottaly differnt but at least it is some kinda experence)i know if i get like a lesser bike i wont be happy with it.

He already knew a 600cc would be too much for him and admitted it. Also said that dirtbikes aren't the same. If you've ever been over on the new rider section of the site, you'd know how many times the same questions get answered over and over again. What he was asking wasn't personalized, and it hasn't been asked for the first time.

It's about time you guys quit babying new people who come here that already have a heads up that a 600cc "is a bit much for a first bike" but just want someone to bless off on it anyway. Which is exactly what this kid was doing. So yes, what he said, in my very humble opinion, was idiotic.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
Vipes said:
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. But as per his post...

"i know a 600 for my first bike might be a bit much but i already have a some experince with motorcycles(i know dirtbike's are tottaly differnt but at least it is some kinda experence)i know if i get like a lesser bike i wont be happy with it.

He already knew a 600cc would be too much for him and admitted it. Also said that dirtbikes aren't the same. If you've ever been over on the new rider section of the site, you'd know how many times the same questions get answered over and over again. What he was asking wasn't personalized, and it hasn't been asked for the first time.

It's about time you guys quit babying new people who come here that already have a heads up that a 600cc "is a bit much for a first bike" but just want someone to bless off on it anyway. Which is exactly what this kid was doing. So yes, what he said, in my very humble opinion, was idiotic.
I agree almost 100% with vipes. This is another post where the initiator has already been told or otherwise knows what he is about to do may very well be above his head. Yet he believes he can beat the odds, and is hoping for someone to validate his thoughts that he may actually beat them.

Vipes: idiotic is a bit harsh and borderline attacking. True or not. But like I said, I think you are spot on with about everything else. Hopefully somethign he sees here will change his mind before we see a "Rider Down" thread involving him, or worse.

Ayyydon101: Sounds like you suspect it may be too much for you. Go with your suspicion, get something smaller, that you can thrash ruthlessly while building skills and not have to worry about it over powering you.

To me, it sounds as if your mind is made up, and you are hoping to get verification from these folks here. Alot of us have been riding for a long time, and just want folks to do it safely, but likewise, are tired of offering advice and hoping for the best. It becomes frustrating when bad things happen. And even when they don't, you will learn so much more on a bike that you can really push to it's potential without exceeding yours.

Don't forget gear. You can buy a new bike. Hands and feet are another story. You wouldn't put a price tag on your appendages, so don't skimp on the gear to protect them.

Good luck in your choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
DanQ said:
Vipes: idiotic is a bit harsh and borderline attacking. True or not. But like I said, I think you are spot on with about everything else. Hopefully somethign he sees here will change his mind before we see a "Rider Down" thread involving him, or worse.
A bit harsh is what I was going for, man. Reason being is because this kid is basically wanting us to bless off on something he knows he shouldn't do in the first place. If I can be harsh now, and if other riders would jump on him at the start, it might make him think, "Wow, I look really stupid to a lot of people with more experience than I if I go out and do this." If I can do that, or if any of us can for that matter, it will benefit him in the long run.

It's kids like this guy, that buy new 600cc supersports when they know they shouldn't, wreck them, and at the same time they hurt themselves, they raise our insurance premiums so all of us suffer.

Just my :2cents:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
704 Posts
Vipes said:
A bit harsh is what I was going for, man. Reason being is because this kid is basically wanting us to bless off on something he knows he shouldn't do in the first place. If I can be harsh now, and if other riders would jump on him at the start, it might make him think, "Wow, I look really stupid to a lot of people with more experience than I if I go out and do this." If I can do that, or if any of us can for that matter, it will benefit him in the long run.

It's kids like this guy, that buy new 600cc supersports when they know they shouldn't, wreck them, and at the same time they hurt themselves, they raise our insurance premiums so all of us suffer.

Just my :2cents:
I'm with on that part of it. It was just that one word was, in my opinion, out of place.

I understand exactly what you are talking about, because I've felt the same way. I've seen it on forums, and first hand as a MSF instructor. I'd get a lot of "do you remember the guy with the (insert bike here) from the class last week? He balled it up on (insert road name here)."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I see your point now that you describe it that way vipes, I to think idiotic is a little strong, but thats just me. I agree in not condoning or supporting the idea of 6ooI4. I see alot of new, maybe not first time riders, but not capable riders going for liter bikes around here, they dont last long. What is idiotic is sales reps that promote these bikes to them.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top