Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, i been wanting to get a sport bike for some time, currently saving up for one... I have a few questions.

I bought a dirt bike some time ago, previous to that i had never been on any type of bike, it took me a week before i was wheelieing it and was in full control, im not being cocky, i fell off a couple times, never seriously injured, bruises, scrapes. It took me 3 weeks before i became bored of it. dont confuse this with being afraid of it.

I'm looking at 600cc super sport's, as my first bike, i really like the r6 and i like the zx6r... my question is what one is more suited for me? I want something ill be able to learn on, and then stunt the hell out of it...

i want a new bike, knowing full well ill drop it eventually... i doubt ill drop it while im learning to ride, probably something i cant control like getting unlucky with a turn of some sort, shit happens.

if not a new bike i want a fairly new bike, what kinda prices could i expect to pay for a new or fairly new bike?

other than the looks of the bikes i listed i have no idea in thier preformance, i think the zx6r has a 636cc engine? and the r6 has the 599cc ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Most people will suggest a smaller bike or 90's 600cc. If you are a quick learner, I'd say go ahead. A slightly used bike will cost nearly as much as a new one (maybe save $500-$1000). A new bike at least has warrenty. Still, invest in the frame sliders cuz its cheaper to repace the sliders than body plastics.:)

More than likely, you won't out grow the bike or push it to its limits. Pick the one that feels most comfy. Ninja is a 636 and a bit faster than the R6, but the R6 handles the twisties better.

·
Registered
525 Posts
you are looking at spending 3-4 thou for a late 90's 600, and 4-5 thou for an early '00's.

check your insurance before you make a commitment to a certain year or size bike. sometimes getting a 2000 as opposed to a 2003 can save you lots of money.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Juke'n round said:
More than likely, you won't out grow the bike or push it to its limits. Pick the one that feels most comfy. Ninja is a 636 and a bit faster than the R6, but the R6 handles the twisties better.
None are newbie bikes, but no one cares to hear that. But just to get facts straight, 636 is not only more powerful (3rd gear power wheelies), but handles better than R6 or 600RR. But the latter two "feels" the smallest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hrm, can either bike get the front to 12 oclock without clutching it up? what one is easyer? whats the highest gear this can be done in? the ninja can do it in 3rd?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
When I read this line "-- it took me a week before i was wheelieing it and was in full control,---" I knew we had someone intersted in doing trick riding & showing off. So reason I did not answer.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Smitty said:
When I read this line "-- it took me a week before i was wheelieing it and was in full control,---" I knew we had someone intersted in doing trick riding & showing off. So reason I did not answer.
I agree here.. I've got 34,000 miles on my 1999 R6 and I still feel that I have a while to go before I get fulll control. I would have to say; just take your time. Do not rush things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a crf150, its a toy compared to a sport bike, and yes... im going to be wheelieing the hell out of it when i feel im ready, and bragging to hell and back about it. im intrested in stunting it, im goign to stunt it, im going to fall, im going to injure myself.

the key part is, im not going to do it on the road, ill take it to a nice safe place and do it, i may be irrational, but i am not irresponsable... i can come to term about harming myself, but i wouldnt be able to live another day if i hurt somone else toying around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, another question... are stunters looked down apon by other riders? honestly fast corners, fast riding in general doesnt appeal to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats the diffrence between the yzf-r6 and the yzf600r, other than the 600r being 1grand less? specs? im looking at pictures i cant tell any diff between one being chrome kinda and the other isnt... i am a squid when it comes to bikes, but i thought i could notice some kinda design diffrence with the exerior but i cant find it... anyone care to explain?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Glist3rin said:
also, another question... are stunters looked down apon by other riders? honestly fast corners, fast riding in general doesnt appeal to me.
Stunters? no I don't think so...
Squids? YES...
they can be diffrent and the same... I think the biggest problem most non stunters have with stunters is when they start doing that shit (not meant to be derogatory) in the streets... showing no regard for other people safty... as well as bringing bad Stereo types in to the Sportbiking world... but then again... in my book that qualifys them as a squid anyways ;)... to me I like watch'n stunters but it's not something I'd ever do... with the excption of and occasonal wheelie... because I couldn't bring my self to thrash a bike like that... dunno.... diffrent strokes for diffrent folks I guess... have fun either way... but above all be safe not just for you but the people arround you...:cheers:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glist3rin said:
hrm, can either bike get the front to 12 oclock without clutching it up? what one is easyer? whats the highest gear this can be done in? the ninja can do it in 3rd?
Hey man take it easy! You dont want to go down the first day you get it. Take your time and feel it out. Be afraid of the bike..and dont be afraid to admit it. Personally I would go with the 636. My friend had one and I loved it. The only prob. with those is that they tend to have a weak frame. The r6 is also a good bike but I like the 636 better. Be careful man.

K-lee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx for the help :) hehe im not gonna rush into things, i just wanted the easyest bike to stunt when i got to that level you know... since im not starting on a starter bike, im going to have to learn on this bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went down to the dealership today, sat on the 636 the r6 and the cbr 600rr... the pegs on the ninja where way to high for me and i could see myself cramping up within the first 2 minutes. the cbr, well i just dont like the general look of it, to bulky, it was an alright fit, the R6, now the R6, was a match made in heaven, soon as i got on it i knew this was perfect. the pegs where a little lower than the others which i liked, its more comfortable, the thing that i was wondering, when i do start to take corners at a extreme angle, is this gonna prevent me from doing so?

all of them where about 8500 for a 05, im gonna see if i can get it for 8100, r6 is the one im going with... so excited :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think your gonna have any problems leaning the r6, they are built for the track, which = leaning always.

I know on my FZR (two generations behind the r6) I can drag each peg with ease in a large parking lot or favorite road, but compensate with leaning off and having the bike a little more upright per any given radius and speed.

I think the r6 would lowside before the pegs drag, but check on this @ an R6 board or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts