Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up yall, my name is tyler i am new here to this forum.

i have always been very interested in getting a cycle, and now that i have the money too. i am endeveruing in the world of the two wheels.

anyway. i am 18, almost 19 about 6'5" 180lbs. i was just wondering what a good starting bike for me is. i want something pretty fast, because i have an idea how to ride, due to riding dirt bikes and shit. but anyway thanks for all the help

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
tytyguy said:
whats up yall, my name is tyler i am new here to this forum.

i have always been very interested in getting a cycle, and now that i have the money too. i am endeveruing in the world of the two wheels.

anyway. i am 18, almost 19 about 6'5" 180lbs. i was just wondering what a good starting bike for me is. i want something pretty fast, because i have an idea how to ride, due to riding dirt bikes and shit. but anyway thanks for all the help

Read EVERY thread in the "New Riders" section.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Just get an RC211V. Great starter bike

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
ZX-12..... weak.

Go see MIBUSA. He's got the starter bike from Hell!

tytyguy, did you find some useful information in the New Riders section?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i already read all that.... ninja 500....blah blah.... i thought height and weight would pay a part though, and i not really down to ride around a ninja 500. maybe a zx6.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So then ignore all the advice given by those with YEARS of experience, and get a twelve million cc rocket.

See how you do.:hurl:

EDIT: I'm 6 4 270 and weight hasn't had shit to do with my riding progession.

Will it with yours?
I doubt it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
One of my riding buddies is about 250lbs riding a 600RR. He has somewhere around 20 years racing expirience under his belt. Everytime I think i am getting fast enough to keep up with him, he just rolls on and leaves like I wasnt even there.
Pick up a 500, or an SV650. Or alternativly, you could post this in the stunt forum, they are always looking for wrecked bikes there.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
tytyguy said:
yeah, i already read all that.... ninja 500....blah blah.... i thought height and weight would pay a part though, and i not really down to ride around a ninja 500. maybe a zx6.
:laughing: I love these guys that come here asking for advice but don't want to listen to shit. :laughing: That attitude's gonna serve your really well as a rider, keep it up! :thumbs2: :rolleyes:

You're wasting our time, go do whatever the hell you want, just don't bother posting a story about how you crashed or got arrested or (insert another classic Newbie mistake) in a month or two.

ps - I weigh exactly the same as you and have as much fun riding my '66 Suzuki T20 (250cc 2-stroke) as I do a new CBR, GSXR, ZXR, YZF, blah, blah, big bike, so on...

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Well, you can see the responses here are pretty tired of questions that get asked and then have the answers ignored.

My suggestion is to consider the question you ask before you ask it. You'll have to be accepting of the answers or at least not post a contrary position which has no apparent basis. There are those here who think any 600cc is ok and it seems apparent you had already decided that. Next time, when you've already got your mind made up, don't ask, just do. Short version: Don't ask a question if you've already decided what you're going to do. It not only wastes people's time but its insulting.

BTW, certainly reading ALL the New Rider threads is impossible, but there are many discussing weight/height. Excepting particularly small people, I have never seen that it makes a difference relative to power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i thought zx6's are 600cc?!?! isnt that 100 more than a 500?? i still dont know all the cc's and shit. i didnt know it was 1000cc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....and i havent decided shit. i am just askin questions man. i didnt konw i am NOT getting a 500, i am exploring the world of bikez broseph. i guess i need someone to explain why the 600cc bikes have 1000cc's now. does the ninja 500 have 500cc's? or no? thanks

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
the zx6 has 636cc, while it is only 137 more than the 500 (499), it is in a much higher state of tune. This means.
1. non existant low end (hard to work the clutch)
2. steeper rake/less trail. bike is more likely to tank slap, headshake
3. Shorter wheelbase. Bike is more likely to wheelie/stoppie
4. higher compression. bike will be MUCH more likely to lock up the rear tire on downshifts

On top of this, 600's are more expansive new, and depretiate quickly. 500 and other starters take very little depritiation. So you can sell it for what you bought it for after 6 months.

Another great point is that the 500 is cheaper, and wont get hurt as badly when dropped. You will drop your bike, everyone does. The newer 600's with their super light frames can actually bend the frame from falling off the kickstand.

BTW it wont hurt your standing to sound a wee bit less agressive.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You are going to have to poke harder to hurt my feelings. I only dropped a bike one time riding, and I think I am on 6 or 8 parking lot drops (either on and not puttin my foot where it needs to be, or pavement irragularities). Scratches just give my bikes character.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
You are going to have to poke harder to hurt my feelings...
Wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, mate. I was just highlighting that bikes don't always get dropped while being ridden.

Was just working with you on the whole "500 is cheaper, and wont get hurt as badly when dropped" angle.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I know bro, I was just trying to say that I am not at all bothered, or ashamed of having dropped my bike.

Now that we got in touch with our inner selves. how about some beer?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts