Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone. Hopefully everyone remembers me. I came to this site a year or so ago and met some cool people.

I ended up selling my bike last summer because I have a kid and I really dont want to end up a mess on the road somewhere and not be able to care for my family. But man, I see all these bikes coming out on the roads this year and I just wanna cry!

Im secretly looking around and keeping my eyes open for a used bike. Although Im not even sure if Im gonna get one again.

Anyways, I just figured I would swing by and see how everyone is doing!

Later on!

-Jay.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
:hello:

Hey, I'm Jen. I don't think we've met but I wanted to say that I totally understand about selling the bike. I don't necessarily agree...lol but I understand! ;) More responsibility sure makes you think about things more! Congrads on the new addition to your family. Hopefully we'll see you out there this year. You don't have to go tripple digits to have fun. ;) You might really miss that freedom!

Jen

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. My daughter was two when I sold it. Shes turning three next month. I just kept hearing about all these people getting wrecked on the road by idiot cagers. After a few close calls, and one REALLY close call, (Driver ran a red light, missed me by about 5 feet...) I turned around to go home. After I parked it I kept thinking about that. What if I was there one second sooner? How would my family survive? So the next morning I rode it to the dealership and sold it.

Given all of that thought, I still regret getting rid of it! hahah! Oh well. I told myself I could get another one when she got older, but Its really hard this summer. If I find one at a good price around here I might crack. Im trying not to think about it tho.

:D

Nice meeting you Jen.

-Jay.

·
Registered
526 Posts
time for her own bike

man if shes three its time for her first bike! my girl started riding at three and now is 6 and she has 2 bikes and races them. we ride together also. get back on a bike yourself just ride like everybodies out to get you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Re: time for her own bike

97yzfinwyo said:
man if shes three its time for her first bike! my girl started riding at three and now is 6 and she has 2 bikes and races them. we ride together also. get back on a bike yourself just ride like everybodies out to get you.
sweet KTM for the daughter, but why is yours in the background???

:twofinger

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Of course, it is always a good idea to be heavily insured.
That said, just be attentive and careful when riding. Watch your six and try to learn from other people's mistakes.

Now go and buy a new bike! Easy monthly payments!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Jay22 said:
Yeah. My daughter was two when I sold it. Shes turning three next month. I just kept hearing about all these people getting wrecked on the road by idiot cagers. After a few close calls, and one REALLY close call, (Driver ran a red light, missed me by about 5 feet...) I turned around to go home. After I parked it I kept thinking about that. What if I was there one second sooner? How would my family survive? So the next morning I rode it to the dealership and sold it.

Given all of that thought, I still regret getting rid of it! hahah! Oh well. I told myself I could get another one when she got older, but Its really hard this summer. If I find one at a good price around here I might crack. Im trying not to think about it tho.

:D

Nice meeting you Jen.

-Jay.
I think along similar lines, and know how you feel.
As a parent and provider, even a serious injury can cause a dramatic outcome for your family, including possible suffering, bankrupcy, permanant disability, divorce,...fear among siblings to overcome obstacles in their future ect...
These things way heavily on me when riding and the choices I make while doing so...
I could not give up riding though...just an adjustment on how I ride.
Kudos on going with your own choices....
To be self-critical and conscious of others needs is a great asset.
We had a female in this forum that also chose to give up riding after witnessing a bike accident outcome.
Her choices are respected.:thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I am heavily insured. Its still not enough for me tho. I mean, I REALLY miss riding. Its just that thought of what could happen.

I was always very careful. Thats the only reason im fine now. Any one of those close calls would have been a major wreck if I wasnt totally focused.

Dont get me wrong, I wish I still had my bike. Especially now cause I dont really like the new gixxers. :crying:

I had an 05.

Oh and as far as her getting her first bike, If I had a place to take her to ride, I would consider it. However shes still having trouble with her power wheels quad. :(

Anyone local trying to sell a bike? Haha!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Jay I didn't know you sold your bike. I understand were your coming from I sold my first bike (CBR F2) after watching friend after friend die and it made me think, when is it going to be my turn, so I sold it. I held out for as many years as I could and in all honesty your feeling you have now will never go away, its like crack.

I have two suggestions for you:
A. buy some dirt bikes for the family and make it a family outing so everyone gets to ride and have fun.

B. take it to the track, it's much safer, well depending on how crazy you are.

·
Registered
526 Posts
pw50

dude, you can get her a cheap pw50, order a set of center mounted training wheels. set the throttle stop so it just putts along when she opens the throttle. for what you would have in a good used pw and training wheels is less then some of these electric toys they ride on and outgrow. I paid $300 for my kids first bike and made the training wheels. she still has the pw50 and is 6 years old now. she used to putt around the house in the yard for hours on that thing and still rides it. not as much since she got the KTM.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sure.....we might need to extend them out farther and add more support...but we can do it! ;) :laughing:

Maybe we could start a squid trend....any accidents or more than 2 speeding tickets in your first year and you're required to have training wheels....lol

Jen

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got dirt bikes, but no place to ride. :(

So tikki, hows the baby? I remember you got your wife pregnant last year didnt you? Thats the last time I talked to ya. How have you been? Hows the family? Anything new?

And what are these pw50's you guys speak of? Im totally game for getting her a little dirtbike. Do they come stock with a throttle stop? That would be sweet. I gotta teach her how to steer tho. Im a little oblivious to the whole throttle stop and training wheel thing for dirtbikes. I never had to deal with that before.

My uncle got her one of those little power wheels quads when she was 6 months old. She still doesnt like it much as she seems to have a hard time turning it. (It doesnt really turn any damned way. theres NO maneuverability on those.)

The smallest dirtbike that I have is a suzuki RM75. However its bored out and hopped up. Definitely not for a little girl. Haha!

·
Registered
526 Posts
pw50

heres a shot of one with the belly style training wheels. with these it is very hard to flip over. my daughter went over jumps with hers on and never flipped it. suzuki makes a JR50 and yamaha makes the PW50, honda has a 50 too but it has a chain chain drive instead of the shaft drive which to me is much safer to keep the little ones fingers and toes safer. the throttle screw is right on the throttle assembly. you just turn it in or out to limit how far the throttle can turn. I know the pw and jr have these right from the factory. also I seen a guy out here had a cutout installed on his little kids bike where you have a remote and you hit the button and it shuts it down. not sure of the range on it but its also an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be sweet. A little remote control to kill the bike.

Man, im like an addict. Tikki was right. Im sitting here sifting thru ads for used bikes and checking dealerships. :eek:

Im gonna get in a load of trouble. I can feel it....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oh Hayden is doing good, he just got his 2 month shots so he’s a bit fussy. You can see pics here: http://www.biggerlou.com/pictures-2007.htm (just look for captions that say Hayden. We moved downriver to Rockwood and I got a new job in Birmingham at a place called Startup Nation. The salon is doing great so……. Yeah everythings been pretty cool. Actually this past weekend my Neighbor broke out his kids 70 (automatic) and the off road go kart in the back field we had a blast. Nothing like getting drunk and tearing it up in a buggy! FYI: don’t bring your beer along it gets really shaken up in the bumpy fields!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yeah. You guys bought a salon right? I think I remember you saying that before.

whats this startup nation place?

Nice pics btw. And no, dont take beer on a buggy. ;)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Re: pw50

97yzfinwyo said:
yamaha makes the PW50, .
My son got it when he was 3. No dirt trails areound
these suburbs, so he tore up the sidewalks. LOL.

It was good practice, and taught him the basics of
driving, respecting traffic, etc. Now he is 9 and
just sold the PW50 for an Enduro and a moped.

...not to be outdone, I bought one too. :cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts