Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys im eric...im brand new to motorcycles (but no to the idea of wanting one). Last summer my buddy got a bike and the bug was spread to me, it looks beyond fun. So I've decided to start saving for a bike, hopefully by summer...im looking at a ninja 250 or 500. My friend started out brand new to motorcycles with a 250 (ninja i think) and a few months later traded in and moved up to an R6, so naturally im tired of my 89 prelude. I have a few questions for now:

1. Im kinda tall (6'4"), 170 lbs, and have long legs...my friend said they may have to move some stuff around on the bike to accomodate me (cant remember exactly what he said), is this something that costs a lot?

2. I see many reviews and people giving the ninja 250 and 500 the thumbs up for a beginner bike...i want a 500 but im leaning towards the 250 for costs sake...unless i can find a good used 500, are there any good sites to search for used bikes in the area? im nto looking to go super expensive on my first bike, maybe 3-4k tops (so probably used)

3. How much would I be looking to spend when buying gear (pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, etc)? Im trying to get an idea of how much total i may need to save up.

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Riding ergonomics will be more of a problem on a super sport than they would be on a 250/500. If you do have a problem, you can get adjustable rearsets (the brackets that hold the pegs to the frame) they are pricey, around $400 or so. Wait and make sure you really need them first.

In my expirience best place to find a used bike is the local classified section of your newspaper. Friends are even better.

Good gear will run you about a grand. This should get you a good helmet, track ready leathers, racing boots, gloves, everything. You could easily spend more if you want the latest and greatest. If you dont mind going to textiles you could easily spend less to, but at a certain point quality starts dropping too quickly. I recomment the somewhat more expansive but comfortable gear. If its not comfortable, you wont wear it. Check out www.newenough.com my favorite gear store.

Oh, and welcome to SBW, and its good to hear you got the sence not to be buying an R1 for a first bike.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Vash pretty much covered all your questions, but just to add a little...I would also recommend Newenough. Check Ebay as well. Go to dealer and try on jackets, pants, boots and gloves to get the exact sizes that you need. Then go to ebay and look for what you want. Odds are you'll find it and it will prolly be Brand new. Sounds like your on the right track, just get to the safety course! Have fun and ride safe

·
Registered
746 Posts
What is with all these tall bastards??? I'm 5'10" and I feel like Tom Cruise on this forum...:rolleyes:

Look for an MSF course like bhartwig32 suggested.

Welcome to SBW :twofinger

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mstrand_68 said:
What is with all these tall bastards??? I'm 5'10" and I feel like Tom Cruise on this forum...:rolleyes:
-M-
Ditto.... Growth hormones in cattle?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mstrand_68 said:
Hmmm, I've been eating the holy mammal all my life (Farm Boy). Scratch that one off the conspiracy theory list.

-M-
You are a genetic freak. Hardly worth contaminating our statistics with. :twofinger

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome to the site. Everyone on here is great and many of your question will get answeres quickly. I want adjustable rear sets myself because riding my gsxr gets uncomfortable after a while. I took a ride on my friends gsxr with adjustable rearsets and it made a world of a difference. I just don't have $400-$500 dollars to spend on the damn things.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I do not know mstrand for we have all these tall chaps not to mention the over 220 lb people. Here you are at 5'10" what I use to be & due to three major back injuries & age I am stooped so more like 5'9". Then you have to have some twit like this Vash character pick on us. What a bummer life is to us more normal people, bar age!!!!!!!!!LOL By the way what is the height & weight of Nicky Hayden???????

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Nicky Hayden:
Height: 173cm (5'8")
Weight: 68kg (150lbs)

Btw, I'm 5'10" 170lbs. So I wasnt pocking at mstrand cause of his height, just his genetic code.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for the replies guys, what can i say, i eats me greens ;) and those flintstones chewable vitamins one a day...mmmmm.

from what i hear, in WA (where i live) there is no requirement for motorcycle insurance...of course insurance is always a good idea but should I decide to get it, around how much would a 19 year old be looking to pay for insurance on a bike (say a 250 for instance)? what are your guys thoughts on whether or not it would be worth the cost?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm always in favor of insurance. To my suprise it doesnt cost that much, or at least as much as I anticipates (SF tends to have lower bike insurance than others). The chances of a bike being totalled within a year are too good not to carry insurance.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm in WA too. Liability is cheap, you shouldn't be over $50. Full coverage for a 1000RR, $1000 deductable, 25 year old, no tickets, MSF course.... $290 progressive, cheapest I found. Fuck that, and no, WA doesn't require insurance. Seems weird since this state is becoming worse that CA with our bitch of a governor.

It's up to you. Me? None...

If you head my way this summer let me know.

-M-

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
New one to me that Washigton State does not require insurance & I thought that was only Florida. So with so many WA cages in our area I will have to watch out for the DANGEROUS cage drivers here in B.C. Cdn.

Sorry pluda in not helping you out much for mstrand & I sort of changed the course of thought. Personally I would look at one of the 500cc vertical twins put out by Suzuki & Kawasaki as a bike to learn on & make your mistakes without doing the damage to one of the costly & very peaky costly not trotting bikes. Your first year well be full of errors & doing things the wrong way. You do not want that for your next or second step up bikes. Also said 500s are less in cost & are fast off the line amongst most traffic & can still scoot you to speeding tickets in town or on the hwy so they are not guttless wonders. Not two that these bikes are not as costly as your friend's bike---you keep it in good shape & will sell in close to cost for so many are looking for one of these 500cc bike as a first bike & it is HARD to find one that is in good shape.

Also you will learn so much better on a bike you can get along with rather then a bike that scares the 'ell out of you which is what your friend bought as a first bike & so wrong move.

I type with a lot of experience & part owner of several m/c shops plus managing another so I do have some experience in the m/c world which also includes my start of my 60th year of continual riding that not to many want to admit for that means old age still three sportbikes sitting in my gargage & not a HD or Cruiser.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Smitty it's only motorcycles that are not required to carry insurance in WA. The cages still have to have liability. And yes watch out for those crazy coasties driving around up there.

-M-

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If you haven't found a bike yet check out cycle-trader.com I've found alot on their. Also pick up a copy of cycle trader at your local gas station. Dad FL does require insurance despite the popular beleif. We are required to have liability insurance. I have been told this by my MSF instructors, the local po-po's who give me tickets, and my insurance agent. I have mine through progressive. Pluda19 I'm 19 as well and had no tickets, when I got my bike, and liability ran me $145 or something like that for a full year. I'm on a YZF 750 so yours might be a little cheaper depending on what year you are going with. Finding a used 500cc is going to be easier than finding a used 250 so keep your eyes open. Also, dont buy anything new, it will just hurt more when you drop it.

Happy huntin,
Sepias

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a little update, I signed up for my BRC, its not till september, otherwise i would have had to pay an extra 125 to get an earlier class. I wont have much for a bike until then anyway so it all works out. I'm up to $1700 now, and i plan to pay full cash rather than finance, preferably used.

I may be moving in soon with a couple friends, one of which is a very sensible rider with a level head, so hopefully ill learn some from him. He rides an SV650, a bike that is starting to grow on my taste :) he says its a decent bike to begin on for somebody of my size, is that true? I'm starting to set my sights on a bike like the SV, and if not, possibly an older 600 like an f2 or f3.

In the meantime, I gotta figure out how to break the desire to my parents :hurl: . Though protective, they are fair parents and I know they will listen if I let them know Im serious about being responsible and safe (which I am). Only problem is, I dunno how to bring the conversation up...I tried ordering a brochure from kawasaki so they would see it in the mail and ask me about it, but it never came hehe. Any ideas?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Since you are moving out, your parents shouldn't have much more to say about you riding, I waited till I moved out (though it was to a different state) and then mentioned to my mom that I was taking the MSF course, I'm sure she was shaking her head on the other line when I told her but all she could say was just to be careful.

As for a used 600, it is quite a debated topic, but the three you've mentioned get the most oks here on this board. keep in mind that insurance may be higher for an f2/f3. I suggest you keep saving up and look around, you might find an older cbr that's cheaper than the newer 250 and 500cc's.

oh, Vash touched up on this a while back, but is that 1700 just for the bike or does that funding have to go to gear as well? Unless you're really picky about matching gear with your bike, I'd suggest you get your gear first so that you know how much you really have for your first bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I would be moving out and paying for rent, but they are still paying for my school...and own the car i drive...and pay the phone bill (used to pay mine but they merged it into a family plan so they pay it now)...so basically they own me :p . I respect them enough to not go behind their backs and buy one, so sneaking isnt an option, i need to convince them.

As for the cash, 1700 is what I have right now. I make about 600 a month, so by the time i take my msf i will have around 4000 (more depending on stuff i sell...anybody wanna buy an autococker/nitro tank btw? :)). I plan to spend around a grand on gear, maybe 7/800 depending on what deals I can find. Im thinking about buying my gear after the MSF, after Ive had a chance to ride and see if i still like it, whether or not my parents will let me ride. Im done growing, so even if they say no, I will still have the gear waiting for me when I graduate and move out in about a year.

On the plus side, cosmetics are no problem for a used bike...im going to school for autobody painting/refinishing :).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts