Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some advice from you guys. I'm lookin for an older (early to mid 90's) dirtbike just to have to screw around on. Trail riding primarily, so what do you think WR250, XR250? Or go the motocross route and get a CR125 or YZ125. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to dirtbikes. lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would suggest a Kawasaki KX250....and it seems that I just may have one for sale!!!:D :D

It's a '94 KX250, all original, ('cause I'm gonna keep all the chit that I have bought to convert it to a SuperMotard). I have all the original plastics for it, and they're in EXCELLENT shape! Even the seat cover is the original, and it isn't even torn!

Make me an offer that I just can't refuse!!:D :D

Or get something else.....:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
i would go for a 350 4 stroke if i were u....i would get a motocross bike like any 125 or 250, no 500's because thats just too much power for the trails , if u plan on hitting jumps hard and riding really hard....but u can usually be faster in the trails with a good 250-350 4stroke like a xr or dr ....good luck....ride a few before buying something...i think u'll know right away what u'll want when u ride each one.......keep in mind that u'll probably never have to work on the 4stroke bikes compared to the 2 stroke where u usually have to rebuild the top end every year if u ride often which is what i did with my rm 125!!....what a pain!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the same thing I was thinkin, 2 strokes are a pain in the a**. :D Probably try and find an XR250 or 400. mbnickel what do you want to get out of it. I may be persuaded away from a Honda. ;) lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
Doogie said:
That's the same thing I was thinkin, 2 strokes are a pain in the a**. :D Probably try and find an XR250 or 400. mbnickel what do you want to get out of it. I may be persuaded away from a Honda. ;) lol
I'm really not looking for a ton out of it, I'd like to get somewhere around $1800, because it really IS THAT CLEAN! But I'm a reasonable guy, and I think, (with the exception of the aftermarket "supermo" crap that I've bought), that I only have about $1500 in it. I don't need to sell it, but it's been just sitting there in my garage and I haven't had time to build/ride it, so I might as well get rid of it, ya know?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Someone say dirtbikes?????

You want a kick-ass dirtbike go for a Honda CR or XR. I'm a strong believer in Honda's dirt bikes. Mine has been to Hell and back a few times over and it still gets up and goes. I had a battle with the fuel system on it, but my buddy fixed it last week and my little monster is better than ever now. GET A HONDA!!!! :) That's my $.02. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Early mid 90's I think I would go Kawasaki. 2 strokes are really fun. If you just want it for putting a 4 stroke may be the way to go, but if you want to just pound on the bike get a 2 stroke.

I don't know a lot about the 4 strokes, but on a 2 stroke if you ride real hard you want to have a new top end about once a year. Or at least that's what my friends say they do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
At this point, I've had 'em all. The two-strokes are a lot of fun if you like to ride hard and push yourself. They're lighter-weight, and a lot more agile, (especially in the air). The 4-strokes are fun in their own way, but it's not the same kinda rush. I've owned RM's, KX's, and CR's, but never a Yamaha, (I think that'll be the next one). I have to admit that when it comes to dirt, I still go back to the KX's, (even though I'm not riding the newest of them all), but I have had a lot less problems outta the Kawi's, and I enjoy their benefits over any of the other three!

Now buy mine so I can get a new Yamaha YZ250!!!:D :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, after the consultation of some friends of mine that have dirtbikes. They have me talked into 2 strokes, they think I'll get bored with the XR after awhile. I personally think they just want someone else to go to the track with them. lol. But anyway, I know the CR's used to dominate motocross back in the day. And everyone seems to put down the YZ's as being much less of a bike (we're talking early-mid 90's). Anyone have any real world experience to back this up? Also since I know absoultely nothing about 2 stroke engines, anyone care to point out some things I should look for when I'm trying to find one. I.E. how do you know if the top end needs rebuilt for example. :confused: Thanks again. :D :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well, since you decided to go with a 2-stroke (good choice! :) ), and you're looking for early to mid nineties, I think I would recommend you look at a Yamaha WR 250. I am really not all that brand biased when it comes to dirtbikes, and they were all fairly comparable during that era, but I think the Honda CR's and Yamaha YZ's and WR's were slightly ahead of the others in design. As far as reliability goes, in my opinion all the (Japanese) manufactures were pretty much the same, and with a used bike it really comes down to how the previous owners(s) treated it. So choosing between a CR, YZ, or WR, I think you should definitely go with the WR since it is geared more to trail riding than the other two, with a wide ratio transmission and slightly tamer (and tractable) power delivery.

Just a thought though.... if you're feeling up to it, and want huge amounts of power on the trail, get a CR or KX 500. I've ran them enough and I know several guys that have used them as trail or general dirtbikes, and loved them. You can never really run out of power, and the bike usually doesn't have to work too hard. They're great for gravel and sand pit riding were the big power gets you up hills and through power robbing sand. On the trail they can almost loaf along like a 4-stroke with smooth power delivery and loads of torque, if they're tuned and geard properly. But they never really become mellow, and you always have to mind you're throttle hand, it can get you into trouble QUICK! (especially on tight, bumpy, and treed trails.....I learned the hard way :( ). They really aren't a good novice bike but they can be a blast.

As fars a checking out the top end, you could just pull off the pipe and peer up the exhaust with a flashlight and visually inspect the piston, rings, and cylinder wall (at least most of them anyways). If everything looks goods, it should be allright, but a compression or leak down test would be an even better indicator of the motors condition,.....or you could also tear it down and check the motors tolerances, like cylinder to piston etc., etc.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After much careful deliberation, consulting friends, internet research etc. :D I have come to the conclusion I want a 90 or 91 CR125. Why, because everything I've read says it's a solid dependable fast turning bike and nadaguide has the price at just under $1,000. Just what I wanted to spend on it seems how it's going to take a backseat to the R6 when it gets warm. I don't think I need the 500 yet. :eek: It would be pretty fun though. :D Now the problem arises of finding one that isn't destroyed and that has a fresh top end rebuild. :( What are some other things to look out for when buying a dirtbike? Obviously fork seals, tire wear, broke plastic, chain and sprockets. Anything else? :confused:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Doogie... you are one smart man. :D Great choice on the bike. You'll love it! I wouldn't trade my little CR125 in for anything! Even on a street bike. :eek: :) Let me know when you've had some time to hit the trails with it. I love hearing puddle stories. Ride safe! :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've had lots of dirt bikes over the years, and I don't have one bad thing to say about any of my CR's. I raced the $%*t out of them, and I only had the low end apart once. Jeremy McGrath quit racing for Honda because they wouldn't let him race the '93 CR250R's anymore. I don't care what anyone else says; that's why. He raced a '93 until '96 when he went to Suzuki. I had a '93 CR125R for a while, and it was fast as hell. They're wonderful bikes. DO NOT BUY A KAWASAKI OR YAMAHA. DON'T!!! Unless the Yamaha is from 1997 or after. Suzuki made some good 125's back in the day. The '95 RM125 was supposed to be one of the best 125's ever. I have tons of real world experience, and I'd go w/ a Honda. I've raced all five brands (yes, a 1999 KTM, too), and I haven't bought anything but a Honda since 1996.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Doogie~

Keep an eye out for any mother or parents selling their kid's old bike (garage sales are gold mines.) They are always happy to part with the thing and you may be able to talk yourself into a $weet deal. You take the chance that the bike might need some work, but it's worth it. If you don't know how to work on dirt bikes just yet, find someone who'll be willing to supervise while you learn. The more you know about that bike, the better off you are. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, I'm a honda fan, too...
I started on a YZF street bike then stumbled onto and old 87 CR 125 in a friends garage...got a hell of a deal on it...completely rebuilt it, and it turned out to be a lot of fun..even working on it. Then I bought a 2002 CR 125 and made the stupid decision to race it, thinking it COULDN"T be THAT different...yeah, well...two shattered wrists and a surgery later (and one scheduled in three days to remove the plates and screws) I'll have to retract that statement. There is a substantial power, suspension, braking, weight and handling difference. Anyway, that's totally off the subject. Point is that CR' s rule. Now that I've made friends with mine, I won't own any other brand, though I've ridden nearly all of them . And two strokes require more aggression and determination, too...they like to be f*$(#d, but you have to turn around and make love to them later...In other words, they are a bit more maintenance, but it's a small price to pay...besides, its still time with your bike...
:cool:
By the way, I now own an F3 and am trying to sell my YZF...am I a Honda fan? HMMMM...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts