Sportbike World banner

do you use your horn, and would it save you from an accident?

• yes always. I think it would save you from and accident

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • sometimes. I don't think it matters much

Votes: 78 50.0%
  • never!! horns are useless

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • umm, what's a horn and where can I buy one?

Votes: 10 6.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you wise guys actually use your hornson your bikes? also, how many think they would save incidents and accieents from acurring?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have used it when someone has started to come in my lane and they moved back over but I don't RELY on it.If someone starts to roll out into the intersection I lay on it but I am more concerned about evasive actions than playing a musical theme ,anyway, I still use it. I really want to hook up an air horn...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I almost got run over by a truck backing up but my horn saved me that time. :( I know I was stupid for being right behind the truck but it was a wierd situation.... I have used it a few more times when cagers are moving into my path even though I move away at the same time. It probably scares the crap out of some drivers so I'll use the horn to make them aware of their ignorance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
heres a shocking prediction for you

Blackkaw-0.79 posts per day....kismet-710-4.29 posts per day you will be a forum moderator in less than a year! btw sorry I did'nt email you back ..been a hectic week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Blast them out of their comas

I personally use my horn and headlights a lot and it has saved my ass numerous times. If my bike has a poor horn I will immediately get an air horn fitted as the loud blast stops the bad drivers in their tracks. This really comes into play when you have a cell-phone user about to switch lanes whilst distracted. This happens every time I leave my house and the same goes for my car and van. I used to know a guy back in the ould sod who retrofitted an airhorn from a trawler, thats right, a freakin ship!! That thing would shake the fillings clean out of your head. He eventually got rid of it as he found it was actually causing accidents. I guess people thought a jumbo jet was about to crash land on their roof or something and the poor fools were swerving all over the place!!!! Daithi.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use the horn when necessary, but it's still hard to hear these horns, they aren't really too loud. My horn actually broke about a month ago, I need to replace it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shit I honked at my wife the other day on the freeway. We were side by side, her window was down and she didn't hear the horn, so I don't think bike horns are very effective. I will continue to use mine in the hopes it does it's job, but only in addition to other maneuvers, and not if it hinders those other maneuvers!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Never

I use my high beam to cars at intersections I'm approaching. I used to use my horn until about a year ago when it went missing :confused: must have fallen off, I've looked for it but its just not there anymore. Got to get a replacement some day. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
I use mine for the regular reasons, alerting cars I'm there, telling my kid to open the garage door, scaring pedestians, etc. The Blackbird has a pretty loud horn, for a bike, about the same as a car, but there's times when I'd really like more power, something that can really "reach out and touch someone".:D

Who sells airhorns for bikes, and how much?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got a "Howard's Horn" and it'll wake the dead. Works quite well. You can get smaller versions that mount nicely on sportbikes, that give a nice nasty european car blast. Great safety item and easily worth the $50.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I only use the horn in parking lots or with pedestrians. If I need to alert someone in a car I use my clutch and throttle. My Muzzy is much louder than my horn.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use it as a thank you device while riding the backroads. If a car pulls over I give them a little honk to thank them for moving out of the way. I figure they just helped me avoid another oncoming truck towing a boat to the lake.

-BZ

·
Registered
40 Posts
re:eek:ncomig trucks towing boats

Avoided quite a few of those yesterday in Sonora area around Camanche and New Hogan runnin the twisties! Lot's of hot chickies tho:D :cool:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: Never

Billy2stroke said:
I use my high beam to cars at intersections I'm approaching. I used to use my horn until about a year ago when it went missing :confused: must have fallen off, I've looked for it but its just not there anymore. Got to get a replacement some day. :D
Horn fell off my bike.

If you meant flashing your high beams on an approaching vehicle (turning left?) could be dangerous. The driver might take your flash as a signal for them to go through.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The horn has saved me once when someone was about to pull out in front of me but I don't delude myself, not everyone will hear it or pay attention to it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to use my horn more when I was less experienced at riding.

Nowadays, I tend to be more aware of what's going on around me, and thus less need to use it. If someone cuts me off, I hope I've seen it coming and am in a position to whip past and give them the finger, not the horn and crash :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Re: Never

slowrat said:

Horn fell off my bike.

If you meant flashing your high beams on an approaching vehicle (turning left?) could be dangerous. The driver might take your flash as a signal for them to go through.
I never thought of that....

I've found that most of the time people either think you're going faster than you actually are, they end up waiting at intersections when they could have pulled out or they think you're going slow and they pull out infront of you, then you end up jumping on the brakes hoping like hell you dont lock up and smash into something.

I've Always been more conserned with avoiding a crash than tooting my horn. I've aways thought that with my high beams on I'd be more visable.

my $0.02

1 - 20 of 47 Posts