Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever been out riding and just minding your own business. Cruising @ 66 mph today, out in the country, taking it easy and then my V1 spots a DPS trooper coming my way. It's an instant on shooting. He's not shooting at cars just bikes - how do I know this, because the cars in front of me are not being shot at. I'm on a long straight section and the Jeep and VW Beetle are in front of me a little ways up. Anyway, the cop shoots, I hit the brakes like anyone does when their radar detector goes off, and the DPS hits the lights. I figure that I am only 1 mph over and he was telling to slow down. NOT!!!! He whips it around and I have already stopped, taken my helmet off and I'm getting off the bike. He asks me where I am going in such a hurry, what hurry I'm only doing 66 mph. He asks again, "Is there any reason that you are speeding?" I asked, "Isn't the speed limit 65 mph?" Nope it's 55 mph and you are 11 mph over the speed limit. "Can I just have a warning sir" I did not know that it was only 55 mph." Nope.
I get the ticket, there are only 2 speed limit signs on this stretch of road for 38 miles. 1-when you leave Leakey and 1-when you enter Campwood. So my probation is now screwed and I have 2 tickets going to appear on my license. I am selling the Katana and I am not going to play their stupid little games anymore. Call me a squid, stupid, immature, whatever you want, but I am gonna start running....
I did not realize that I was that far over the posted speed limit and I can not accept the fact that I now have to pay another $110 fine for speeding and will also have the previous ticket added to my record. Damn it!!!
It was nice chatting with you all. I doubt that my wife will post to the list after my next encounter with the law, be it jail time or death.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
40 tickets now. I need a Hayabusa!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Fight the ticket. 50% of all tickets that go to court either win, or get the ticket reduced. Most of the time the cop doesn't even show up. For the love of Jesus and all that is holy fight it. I fought my reckless driving ticket and got the fine reduced from $325 to $100. Excellent. I almost won too.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I plan to fight it. I'll lose but I have to go down with pride. The V1 works great as long as the cops play fair and shoot everyone and not just us bikers :mad:
Looks like I will have to buy a 2000 model bike - did you read Cycle World "Voluntary max speed of 185 mph, for 2001" BITE ME!!!!
The ZX12R hit 199.1 mph.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

·
Registered
987 Posts
Todd, take Dan's advice. The last time I went to court, I got a reckless driving ticket dismissed AFTER I PLEAD GUILTY! As far as running goes, think of this; I know you are a capable driver, but just supposed the cop chasing you was fresh out the academy, and suppose a lady taking the little league team out for pizza pulled out into his path, and they collided. Would it be your fault? Is the money and the points worth the possibility?

Don't get me wrong; there is a time & place for everything, but always consider the possibilities before deciding on a course of action. Go to court, and good luck. In some of the older posts, there are references to websites with resources for helping to fight tickets. Check em out.

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Dude, that really sucks. Did you tell the officer, "sir, I just spent $400 on this damn detector-WTF, I shouldn't get anymore tickets right." Usually the cops around that area seem pretty cool--if you see any at all. Must have had too many complaints about squids crashing through the woods and decided to crack down a bit. Did the cop laugh when he saw the detector or did you hide it in shame? You know those Katana's are cop magnets right? :D You might have a defense if there are no speed limit signs for such a long distance. I had a buddy who got out of a ticket once because of this.

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

S

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>You know those Katana's are cop magnets right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because they know they can catch 'em!! :D :D Look how many tickets Todd has!!!! :D ;)
Just jokin Todd!

Todd,
Your a big boy so I won't preach! But just make sure you educate yourself in the risks involved! I hate hearing when a rider goes down.

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
About two months ago, I received a instant
loss of license ticket - 5 points $185.
(See CBR600F4GD's Post Good Day - bad day in
the Tales from The Street Forum). Anyway
all I did was call the cop and explain to
him that I realize I was speeding and that
I just don't want to loose my license - can
you do anything for me? He dropped the
points and dropped the fine down. I would
do whatever you think will work to fight it!!

Goodluck - Hang in there man.

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, someone w/worse luck than me! Just kidding, Todd. Man, I'm sorry to hear about this latest one. Did the cop see the detector? That may be why he didn't let you off.....
When I met you, you struck me as being a nice, calm, soft-spoken individual. Not at all a bigmouth jerk like me! I'm surprised the cop didn't let you off. Beginning of the month too....no quota to meet.
Leaky, Texas? Where the hell is that anyway? Darn DPS troopers...they target bikes out there. They need a job......good luck.

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"

·
Registered
987 Posts
Didn't want to preach either Todd, it's just that this past weekend there was a car/bike accident where a 5 month old sitting in the car was killed, and I'm taking my 5 month old granddaughter down to Bham for surgery tomorrow.

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Todd,

Back in 1994 i had garnered a cumulative points total of 37 points on my license since 1989. A good number of these were from the 2-1/2 years of riding i had (32K miles) on my 600R. The last ticket i ever got on that bike was a wreckless driving 8 point mother of all tickets. I fought it and lost (the juristiction wasnt allowed to lower the charges so i got nailed with the original charges). Needless to say i sold the bike and waited 6 years before riding again.

Just think about it. A spotless driving record. Its a better proposition than eluding a cop only to lose it and do mouth-to-mouth with a utility pole.

All i know is that there wont be much sympathy from the ones that say "i told ya so" if we ever have to say "i told ya so"

Play it safe, not stupid. There was already at least one fatality in Arizona this year that i know about which was directly due to a rider trying to outrun the cops.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Todd, I am sorry to hear about that mess with the cop. Some police officers are jerks, but then I suppose that can be said about any profession. I know a heck of a lot of jerks in mine, that is for sure!

Just don't give up. Head down and fight the ticket. You most likely will be allowed to "plea" to a lesser offence, thus lowering the points if not the fine (the money is what they care about anyway). Did that with my last speeding ticket about 18 months ago (which is now off the DMV rolls, but the insurance industry keeps it on for at least 3 years!!!).

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the DPS never saw the radar detector. I hid it from him under my gloves. He never even came up next to the bike. I love my V1, it works better than all the previous detectors that I have owned(about 7).
I will go to court, but this is a small town and yes, they are cracking down on bikers crashing in their county. The court is only open from 1 - 5 Mon - Fri. I have not decided if I want to drive the cage or take my bike to court, afraid that he will nab me again.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600

1 - 13 of 13 Posts