Sportbike World banner

Do you wear a helmet?

• Yes, every single time I ride..

Votes: 170 95.5%
  • On occasion, but not when it's not hotter then hell out..

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • No, my state doesn't require it, so I figure what the heck!

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • What's a helmet?

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a little post to get some feedback on some people's opinions on whether or not to wear a helmet! I am not sure how many states do not require by law that motorcyclists wear helmets, but I do know AZ does not..I lived in Tempe for a year while in school and used to see hundreds of people not wearing helmets, and roads out there can get pretty enticing..Recently my buddy dropped his brand new TL1000 because of some cager not using their head and pulled out in front of him, and I was talking to him about his accident..He said he probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for his brain bucket! Which is usually true..They save lives to no extent..

So I was just wondering out of however many states don't require you to wear a helmet, how many people actually don't? And why?

I realize in AZ it gets hotter than hell, I would just rather sweat than break open my skull..This also has to do with some kid who used to do 100mph down Baseline to school every day until he got caught my Tempe Police..this was on the news..And he didn't wear a helmet..I just can't fathom being subject to the consequences..

·
Registered
517 Posts
I hate, hate, hate helmet laws.

But I wear mine every time. I have a great family and lots to stick around for.

Washington does have a helmet law. The Navy requires motorcyclists wear them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
When a woman in a Land Cruiser hit me on my Hawk GT my head SMACKED off the pavement big time. The helmet had huge tear marks in it from the pavement. If it werent for the helmet I would have died or at least lost the capacity to read your post and respond to it. All these idiots you see riding around without one just havent wrecked yet.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
darwinism at its fullest extent.

I Don't believe in helmet laws either, but I wear mine everytime I get on the bike...and its actually cooler to ride with a lid on...the sweat stays inside the bucket and acts as a bit of air conditioning...its not a swamp cooler, but its better than having the water evaporate from your head and further dehydration...not to mention dust and all the other crap in the air...like flying tires, bumpers, wheels, etc...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Im gonna have to disagree with that, helmet off is way cooler! The problem is lack of air flow. I thought about drilling a bunch of holes in a cheap helmet kind of like a wiffleball but so far I havent done anything but sweat it out with my lid on an wash it when it stinks. Sometimes when riding along I grap the part that goes below the visor and pull forward and up so air flows up around my head. Too bad theres not a porous head cap with a little air pump you can wear under a helmet to get some air in there. The vent on top doesnt do a damn thing unless Im going 100+.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think it's better to ride with a helmet on when it's really hot! Ever tried putting the hair blower in your face for more than 2 seconds?!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Helmets have saved my life twice now, at least my brains ;)

If it's so hot outside that I cant stand wearing a helmet, then I just wont ride... thats not too often though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i think hemet laws are bogus,:mad: . if someone doesnt wanna wear a helmet so be it, but i think it's also a really selfish act on the riders part. i have to many family members and friends who care about me and would never want to put them thru having to see a love one die, just b/c i want to feel the wind in my hair or it's too hot out. i would sacrafice these two things (even if you could call them that)just to never see a tear from any of my love ones faces just because i was that selfish and had no regard for there feelings. if not for you why not the people you care about.....but hay it's your life and my two cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wear a helmet every time I ride... Be It a Sunday run or a quick trip to the store...
I'm selfish... I want to be able to watch my daughter grow up, go to college, get a rediculously well-paying job, and buy me lots of stuff when I'm older... It'd be kinda hard to do that If I was dead or retarded from a head injury.

-Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wear mine always. I've hit the ground to many times over the years not to wear one. Let's see... Bounce along the ground(or whatever)with a helmet, or without a helmet, No brainer!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Helmet laws suck but helmets make all the sense in the world. I've 5 kids, a wonderful wife & a life of friends & family that are way to precious to give up. Even if you're an orphaned hermit PLEASE, PLEASE wear a helmet. Somebody is going to miss you:(
Do not tempt fate.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Crash helmets have probably saved my life a number of times.

Only wore a helmet when I was flat tracking or dirt hill climbing starting in '47.
Then for Scrambling, Enduros, Cross Country & Road Racing. Did not wear one when in Observed Trials comp.
Wore one 75% of the time from '50 untill it became compulsory in '68 & that means in Trials as well.
In comp I have woken up several times in the hospital having missing a day or close to it due to concuscions & other injuries -- seems the helmet saved me.
Even when practicing my comp up in the hills there are times I would wake up cold, trying to gather my senses & find the bike with the engine dead cold, meaning I had been out for 30 to 60 minutes & that is concussion where the helmet did its job.
On the street I have been hit from behind a few times & on two occasions one look at the helmet proved to me it had done its job & needed replacing.
Yes I will keep on wearing a crash helmet law or not.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i noticed both people that said its cooler with a lid on are from AZ. Must be a climate thing. You guys have no humidity, and here in FL weve got it in spades. You're right about a lid keeping the sweat in, its just that here you dont need it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have to go with the general consensus so far. I hate laws that tell me what I can and can't do with my body, but I can't imagine going anywhere on a bike without a lid.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good responses

Very good responses..I like getting a jist of how people feel over these laws...And jong, that is a beautiful little girl you have, and you have every right to want to be there for her..Have fun! It goes by fast..I don't have a kid yet, but I know I grew up way to fast..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't agree with the fact that the Gov. tells you that you have to wear one. But I think the real question is "Should I go out and crack the cranium or not?" Personally I always wear mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Einstein....

Disclamer: I am on drugs right now (long story I'll do a write up on it later... It's okay they're legal)

Martin Luther King Jr. once said:

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

This is one of the only quotes of his that I have a problem with.
This remark is out of charachter with the Reverend... Almost nihilistic.
You see faulting a man for not discovering what he would die for isn't fair. Ignorance can't be helped. The apparent lack of social and personal contribution doesn't mean that you don't mean something.
I personally have taken the easy way out. I do everything with Ella (my dauighter) in mind. But before she was born I hadn't a clue what was important That doesn't mean I wasn't fit to live. It just means that I hadn't found it yet.

So Every time I ride my bike; be it a mile or 50 miles or whatever I will wear my helmet. I don't want to die because I was neglegent, I don't want to be injured beyond hope because "It was too hot out". These are not valid reasons to go.

I have a great Wife and a Great Daughter... They Are what I would die for........ Not a Sunday run.

On the same token; I think it is ones personal prefference to wear a helmet, buckle a seat belt, seek medical attention when necissary, etc. But if I can help it I will try my best to talk you into the safer alternative. There are times to be optimistic and there are times to be carefull..

-Wow I hope someone understands that? Time for another Pill.. woohoo

-Jon

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't care too much for being told what to do, I certainly don't care for helmet laws. I love my freedom and the right to chose. I chose to always wear a helmet when riding my machine. Actually should wear my helmet in my cage too, the way Metro Atlanta cagers drive, maybe we need a law in GA to that effect,lol, I don't think so. The helmet is distinguished and imbues character and tells the world a little about us. Besides I love my wife and four boys, I want to be a grandfather some day and enjoy life too much.:twofinger

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pretty much

I gotta admit, there are a few occasions when I may not wear it. If I am running 1/4 mile down the rode to my friend's house, or just to check some tune up results, I might leave it off. I do use my helmet at ALL other times though, either on the dirt or the street.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts