Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://ww31.tiki.ne.jp/~seth/photo/CBR400Fi.jpg

ok thats not my bike but im wondering whats the little case in the middle of the lower fairing called, previous owner has dropped the bike and i need new frame sliders and that thing, i think its an engine case or crank case.

the circular thing right below the framslider in the middle of the fairing thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
I wasn't sure if it would work or not. Go to bike bandit, click on OEM parts, select your bike, and then click the link for alternator cover.

I just post while I watch TV:twofinger

Sepias
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am thinking that is it.... now my next question is if it just covers the altenator i should be able to change this out easy. becuase there wouldnt be any fluid and such behind this thing correct? i could just get this and get a gasket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
I dont think there is any fluid in your alternator but I'm not one to ask on that. I know your crank case and gear box have fluid. Be careful if you open it up, it might hold something in place and then youve got a problem if it falls out. Check your MOM or if you dont have one buy it or a Haynes manual.

Sepias
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no fluid behind it, i have a manual in pdf form checked im all good to go so ill wait till next payday or so but thanks for the help man
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
Uhm... there IS oil behind that stator cover! Some will leak out when you remove the cover, but you can limit it by putting the bike up on a rearstand etc instead of leaving it on the kickstand

You will also have to have silicone or gasket maker handy to seal up area where the wires to the stator go through plus you might need a new OEM gasket if you tear the one up on the bike removing the cover & you will need to use red loc-tite on the 4 bolts holding the coil to the cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lord Duckhunter said:
Uhm... there IS oil behind that stator cover! Some will leak out when you remove the cover, but you can limit it by putting the bike up on a rearstand etc instead of leaving it on the kickstand

You will also have to have silicone or gasket maker handy to seal up area where the wires to the stator go through plus you might need a new OEM gasket if you tear the one up on the bike removing the cover & you will need to use red loc-tite on the 4 bolts holding the coil to the cover.
hmmm the manual didnt say anything about oil being behind there, so if i dont have a bike stand what would you reccomend lean the bike over on somthing and or have someone hold it while i know it out? all i need ot do is replace the cover, and yes i was going to order a new gasket with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
I would reccomend getting a rear stand. They are well worth the $75. I use mine atleast once a week when I oil my chain or clean my brake rotors. Plus, when you go to get a new rear tire you dont have to pay the extra $30 or so they charge to pull off the tire since you can take it off at home.

Sepias
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
no biggie, if you don't have a bike stand just make sure you have a fairly large catch pan underneath the cover when you remove it.

Also be aware that the stator is magnetic & will pull the cover back on pinching your fingers etc if you are not careful...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so since a bunch of oil is going to leak out i might as well just wait until my next oil change time and knock it out with that cuz i just cahgne my oil about 600 miles ago.

so just to clarify nothing will fall off/out when i take that cover off right? just oil leak out
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
so since a bunch of oil is going to leak out i might as well just wait until my next oil change time and knock it out with that cuz i just cahgne my oil about 600 miles ago.

so just to clarify nothing will fall off/out when i take that cover off right? just oil leak out
It's not a bunch of oil, but some will come out. I am not sure if there will be any loose items inside that particular bike or not. The 900RR for example has a starter gear that will literally fall out of place & has to be rotated back into position before installing the cover, but I just plain don't have enough repeat experience with your bike to know exactly what to expect off the top of my head...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey no problem man, since your the honda mod do you know a good forum i can go to and get more specific info?
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
Not really, but what I can tell you is that if you do not feel comfortable with doing this relatively minor work, but still want to do it yourself then you should definitely invest in a Service Manual for your bike. They go for about $60 at your dealer, but can be had for half of that bootlegged on ebay & such.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lord Duckhunter said:
Not really, but what I can tell you is that if you do not feel comfortable with doing this relatively minor work, but still want to do it yourself then you should definitely invest in a Service Manual for your bike. They go for about $60 at your dealer, but can be had for half of that bootlegged on ebay & such.
yes i have one on cd, in pdf format. i used it to change my oil :), i love working on cars and do so alot but bikes i dont know i feel like i have to be more cautious
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top