Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my battery back in my bike after its winter rest and fired it up only to discover that I now have this strange rattling sound coming from my exhaust that is wasn't making when I put it into storage. I have a slip-on D&D with the stock headers. The noise sounds like there is a small pebble or something in the area of the shift lever, where the pipe actually slips on to the stock exhaust system. I removed the pipe last night and was unable to see anything in there. It does not make the noise when idling, only if I throttle to about 3-4K and let off, it makes the noise on its way back down at around 1-1.5K and it rattles for a very short time and then stops (it did this with the pipe removed as well). I've checked every nut, bolt, pin, screw, etc. and none of them seem loose. Any ideas??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!! I found this site that explains adjusting the exup valve to get rid of the rattle (it's funny, they explain it as the tiny rocks inthe exhaust problem). Not sure if I'll tackle this myself or just take it in.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!! I found this site that explains adjusting the exup valve to get rid of the rattle (it's funny, they explain it as the tiny rocks inthe exhaust problem). Not sure if I'll tackle this myself or just take it in.

Thanks again
That should be it. Typical EXUP rattle on your R1. Try to determine if it's cables or bushings. Some of the older ones have needed bushing replacement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres a big fat THANK YOU!!! going out to 97yzfinwyo:thumbs2:. I followed the instructions for adjusting the EXUP valve on the site listed below and in less than 1 hour, the rattling sound was gone. The cables were very loose which is amazing to me since I take it in pretty regularly to have tune-ups and things done. I'm guessing they never even touched it. Thanks again!!

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts