Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a 520 conversion on my R6 with the AFAM kit and the front sprocket has a flat side and the other side has a protrusion. Which side goes towards the motor? I'm stuck in the middle of doing this right now, and I'm hoping somebody has an answer for me soon. The dog-gone kit didn't have any instructions. thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Purely speculating but here goes...

The new sprocket is thinner so the projection will be the result of thinning the sprocket tooth area, not adding the projection. At the center, the original thickness will be maintained to allow the bolt to draw up tight.

My guess would be the projection is to the outside but don't know for sure. Look at the rear sprocket for indication. If the old one is flat, which I suspect, and the new one is too, then the thinner new sprocket will be on the same plane at the "inside" with the narrower dimension defaulting to the outside. So, the front which is undercut, will have the undercut (or hub) facing out, the flat plane in, keeping the original alignment. Make sense?... or not at all like described.:dunno: :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dad said:
Purely speculating but here goes...

The new sprocket is thinner so the projection will be the result of thinning the sprocket tooth area, not adding the projection. At the center, the original thickness will be maintained to allow the bolt to draw up tight.

My guess would be the projection is to the outside but don't know for sure. Look at the rear sprocket for indication. If the old one is flat, which I suspect, and the new one is too, then the thinner new sprocket will be on the same plane at the "inside" with the narrower dimension defaulting to the outside. So, the front which is undercut, will have the undercut (or hub) facing out, the flat plane in, keeping the original alignment. Make sense?... or not at all like described.:dunno: :)
That makes a lot of sense and as I look @ them they appear to line like you said. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Glad it worked out. :thumb:

"Instructions?! We don't need no stinking instructions.":D

One quick note. Keep an eye on sprocket tooth wear, especially front. The narrower teeth become a weak link. Especially if you run it hard. Not so bad as to worry about it in hundreds of miles but might be worth a peek around 5,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts