Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F4 has no front brakes! This happened yesterday during a 100 mile trip. I pull the lever all the way in to the grip...and nothing. If I pump the lever about 3 or 4 times it starts to work, if I pump the lever about 10 times the brakes work fine. I'm assuming I need to bleed the brakes, how do I go about this? I loosened the bleeder valve on both calipers expecting to let air out of the lines and fluid shot out at me. Help!

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
169 Posts
do you know how to bleed brakes ? do you have brake fluid in your resevoir ?
You need to figure out what is going wrong with your brakes first, your either out of fluid, or you introduced a lot of air in you system. did you change brake lines at one time ?

------------------
texas tornado #2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reservoir is completely full, and I have never changed brake lines. The bike only has 2500 miles. The only thing I can think of is...this sounds weird...right before I left on this trip, my friends were tossing a football and it hit the right front caliper of my bike. It didn't do any damage, no lines are loose, there is no leaking anywhere from the reservoir all the way down to the caliper. Could hitting the caliper or lines with a damn football possibly get air in the lines??

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
169 Posts
no i don't think a football would do that, well now that i know a little more info, such as that it is a 2000 (i think)and i am assuming there is no leaking going on, i would take it back to the dealer and get it looked at, sounds like maybe a seal inside the master cylinder is going bad or something like that. it is still under warranty isn't it ?

------------------
texas tornado #2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's a 2000. It's under warranty until March of 2001, so I guess the safest thing to do is make a trip to the dealer. Thanks for your help.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah, if you havn't fooled with the brakes, new lines, what ever, don't touch it, just take it in and let them fix it, when you find out what it was let us know

------------------
texas tornado #2

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but... people from Conn can't catch a damn football. Leave that to the Southern Boys. ;) :D :p If I had been throwing it you wouldn't have a reservoir left. :D

The football thing sounds too damn coincidental for me. I bet it did do some damage that you can't see and you are getting air in the lines. It could be a slight crack or something that is too small see. Take it to the dealer, as mentioned, and don't tell the football story again. :)Just tell them you have no idea what happened. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
133 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I loosened the bleeder valve on both calipers expecting to let air out of the lines and fluid shot out at me. Help!

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if there wasn't any air in the lines, i bet there sure is now. you're not supposed to open the bleed valve without some pressure at the brake lever or using a vacuum pump. you really should take it into a shop unless you know what you're doing. another possible problem with your bike: you're getting blow-by at the master cylinder piston. you may have to get a rebuild kit.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll bet when the football hit it bent your rotor. As the wheel turns the bend spreds the pads apart and thats why you have the pump the lever to get brakes. It doesn't take much of a bend to do this. Have someone roll the bike (or put it on a front stand)and see if the rotor moves closer to one side of the caliper. Also if you opened the lines than you need to get somone to help bleed the air out. If you can't find someone that we'll tell you how to do it.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

[This message has been edited by Tirefryer (edited August 28, 2000).]

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:

So, like everyone said, this definitely sounds like a warranty deal!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other words, DON'T mention the football! ;)

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

G

·
Sorry Tyrefryer,

Gotta disagree with you on this one... The F4 has dual discs up front anyways, I doubt he hit both!

Probably a seal...

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Squid,

It is possible.

My right rotor warped (sp) and caused the brakes to drag( My lever never pulled all the way back). When the right rotor would spin it pushed the pistons back into the caliper and applied the brakes to the left rotor. This is what Honda told me. And American Honda is aware of this problem ( nothing ever hit mine) so they sent me 2 new rotors next day air mail. The Honda Dealer didn't charge me a dime (parts or labor). I'm glad cause the price for just the rotors is $520.00 not including new pads.

I didn't even think about the rotors having any run-out cause the lever didn't pulse. If you have ever hit the brakes in a car and the steering wheel started to shake you'll know what I'm talking about.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did notice some pulsing in the brake lever for the past couple hundred miles. Nothing enough to make me nervous or take to a dealer, but maybe I have the the same warping problem you had. I'll have to mention this to my dealer and see what he says. I'm taking the bike in Thursday morning, I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with the warped rotor theory. A slight bend, even in only one rotor, is enough to cause you to have to pump the lever. Especially if you've noticed pulsing, as you said. It all fits.

The reason it only takes one bent rotor to make your brakes go away, even if the other one is fine, is that the side to side motion of the bad rotor spreads the pads apart just a little bit in the caliper. When you first pull the lever, instead of squeezing the "good" pads onto the good rotor, the fluid first has to take up the slack in the bad rotor. This will use up at least one pull.

So, like everyone said, this definitely sounds like a warranty deal!

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Yupper - Pulsing is definitley a sure sign
of a tweaked rotor. It will knock the pads
back from the rotor so they have to travel
too far and take too long to make contact.
And yeah - don't tell them about the football! ;)

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The pulsing definitely indicates bad rotors and given what Dan said it sounds likely IMO too. :)

A football is not going to bend a rotor... not even with me throwing it. :rolleyes: :p BTW, don't let people throw footballs around your bike... it can damage a brake line. ;) But do NOT mention it to the Honda people. You don't want to give them an excuse to refuse coverage.

------------------
John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Verdict is boys. My dealer took the rotors off and inspected them. He says he can see a slight bend in the right rotor where it looks like it was hit with a "foreign object", it's definitely not from natural causes and is definitely not under waranty. $269, plus labor, out of my pocket. TireFryer was right on with his prognosis!!

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Registered
328 Posts
Aww, that sucks! For one thing, even if the football did cause the bend (which I highly doubt), there's no way it would leave visible damage.

So unless you've actually hit something else with the rotor, I still think the thing just warped from heat, and they should have warrantied it!

Oh well, at least you can ride now...

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:
Aww, that sucks! For one thing, even if the football did cause the bend (which I highly doubt), there's no way it would leave visible damage.

So unless you've actually hit something else with the rotor, I still think the thing just warped from heat, and they should have warrantied it!

Oh well, at least you can ride now...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again I have to agree with AZ. And I would raise hell with. It is very hard to warp hardened metal like that unless it is heated.

------------------
John

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess everyone gets luckey now and then.

I have to fix bent rotors all the time, granted, their on dirt bikes but it dosen't take much of a side impact to bend them.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

1 - 20 of 22 Posts