Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cbr4fgd,

Now I agree with you. The leathers I "want" are >$1000. Nice graphics with great ventilation is what I want. ;)

I will have to settle for something cheaper again when I convince my wife that a new set is needed. :rolleyes:

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
my friend just paid 1400 or so for custom-fit vansons. they are so nice. but damn, 1400 is a lot of steaks. he also jokes about it taking several red cows to make this leathers. he also says they look like a cow turned in-side-out.

but a cheaper suit will still save you butt (and legs, and arms). buy a back protector too.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ok I finally have enough money to buy a full set of leathers but I have alot of ??? I want to spend around $600.00 and I don't know what to buy.I have found alot of 1 pc suits for $350.00 but I would like to look at other places before I order can some of you please give me some links to places that I can order from?Also how do you order sizes if you can help with this ? my size info is 5'7'' waist 31 and 160lbs . I really need some help please!

Also what is the deal with goat skin??????

------------------
Chris Blackman
If it is GREEN it has to be better!
www.memphissportbikes.com

·
Registered
331 Posts
Stay away from Goat Skin. Sounds like your a size 40-42 US. A friend of mine has some used Vanson Leathers for sale. He is asking $500. They have been down before but look as though someone just dragged them accross the parking lot. If you are looking to spen $350 then I hope you are buying used because you cannot get a decent pair of leathers for under $700 new. Again, don't even think about Goat skin. Its almost useless in any real crash.

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe Rocket leathers are within your price range. I've been wearing the same highside suit for 3 years now and they have held up very well. I am no small rider either. When it comes to leathers you need to keep in mind, higher cost does not necessarily mean higher quality. There is not a big difference in the leather quality from brand to brand. The companies do not have there on cattle farms.

Well, judging by my leathers, someone has a farm with really fat red cows. :D :D

Custom fitted leathers are, of course going to cost more.

CBRF4gd, I hope that your $700 estimate includes boots. ;)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
hey pete has 999 posts, post pete post.

anyway, i agree with geoff, goat skin is cheap for a reason.

agv rage suits are cheap and cow skin.

try www.1888fastlap.com i think they are still blowing out rage suits cheap.

also if you're friendly with your dealer ask them if parts unlimited are liquadating any leathers, and see what they'll do for ya. the last i saw parts was liquidating technic leathers real cheap. if you're not friendly with them, they'll tell you that parts doesn't liquidate anything. just keep in mind if you go this route; you order them, they're yours.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
331 Posts
I must retract my initial statement. You can get decent leathers for under $700. I just havn't found any that I would purchase for under that. I can't stand some of the lame ass graphics these manufactures use. The leathers I have now cost me $350 used. They are Teknic's and I am not very happy with them. They offer decent protection but...well I just want a nicer set.

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have yyou tried http://www.brocktoncycle.com. ? They sell Fieldsheer 1piece suits starting at just under $600. You may want to call some of the Suit manufactuers,they may know of places that carry closeouts or last years suits which could be considerably cheaper and never worn.

------------------

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ok I'm confussed I was looking at the 99 joe rocket highside suit for 339.00 but they say they are goat skin?That is why I was asking for help I noticed one person said he had the highside suit and everyone is saying stay away from goat skin ???

------------------
Chris Blackman

J

·
0 Posts
Goat skin, maybe that's why they feel sooo goooood! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know if my Highside suit('97 version) is cowhide or goat skin. I'll check when I get home. But I will tell you that the thing provides very good protection and is of high quality. The material does not appear to be significantly different than the Vanson or Spyke suits that I have seen crash tested. As mentioned before, stitching and ventilation usually drive prices up.

I will qualify this by saying that if I were going to be racing then I would purchase something more race oriented (i.e., custom fit Vanson leathers).

John

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
i second the www.newenough.com site. i got some (ugly) hjc leathers brand new never worn closeouts for $415 w/3 day shipping. they go for like almost 900 new.. & have came w/a quality back protector. crash tested & approved for saving your a$$.

that brings me to this.. u may think that $700 dollars is expensive & that $1400 is out of this world & u would rather spend the money on something else.. but when u will be singing a different song when u go down... dont skimp on the saftey equipment!

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
speed,

i totally agree. if i can afford it, my safety gear will probably be worth more than my race bike.

my agv leathers are getting old and raggy.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have found several suits and here are my choices,AGV Modena 499.00 new,AGV Wolf 449.00 new,99 Joe Rocket Highside 339.00 new,and a set of Vanson 500.00 used and been down once.In your opinons what is my best choice I'm very serious and will be using your advice because I have never bought or wore a full set of leathers.

I don't wanna go cheap I have been down and I know the value of saftey stuff but after the brake lines,wolf pipe,blinkers,windscreen,foot pegs,2 helmets,a joe rocket jacket and gloves,gel coat on the bike I have only $700.00 to get leathers and boots.I would like a set of $1400.00 leathers but I will settle for the protection of what I can afford now instead of riding without any until I save up the 1400.00

I can't image a set of $500.00 leathers being unsafe and useless if the same company also sells the 1400.00 set.

I must say again I have no clue as to what is the best I don't know and that is why I ask you great people to help me spend my money in the best way possible.

------------------
Chris Blackman

J

·
0 Posts
qbclub13,

I checked my Highside suit. It is(tag says)100% genuine leather. Apparently they have shifted to goat skin on the Highside suit. I can tell you that mine was not as cheap as they are now. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also, I purchased mine when they were just getting into the sportbiking arena. :)

I'm am glad that this thread was started. I was considering getting a new Highside suit. I like the new graphics better. I will look elsewhere now.

This forum RULES! :) :p :)

Ride Hard!

John

------------------

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I got a full race suit(boots, gloves, back pad, vented chest) from Z Leathers. I did pay alot, but if you crash is your skin worth it!! You can't buy back your skin.. :eek:

And yes you do pay more for custom but it is so comfortable..
I spent $1,800 but worth every dollar!!! :D :D

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wander if you can get a suit made out of sheep skin. I hear it fits like a glove and feels more natural. :rolleyes:

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Chris,

I've only wore Vanson, and love em. But I've had friends go down in the AGV's and the protection was great with them also.

The three things I look for in a suite.

#1 Protection (ie: stiching strong? Armor included? Genuine Leather?)

#2 Fit (a *to large* fitting suit will bunch up on you in a fall and cause skin rash, and a *to small* fitting suit will kill your ergos on long rides.)

#3 Looks

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts