Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's tough for you all to truly voice your opinions and share a few pennies worth of advice, but I would like your input on my upcoming choice.

The Harley's on the market and getting a few nibbles, so I expect to see it head down the driveway within a few weeks. I have a replacement budget of somewhere in the $7,500-9,000 range. I want to put the balance into investments.

I figure I might find a killer deal on a new bike, but more likely, I'm looking at something a year or three old with low mileage. We all know that a LOT of bikes get a few thousand miles on them, then start collecting dust in the garage. That's what I want.

I've eliminated a number of machines for various reasons. I was seriously considering spending the whole Harley wad on a new Ducati ST4S or Aprilia Futura, but figured that I could get a heck of a bike for a lot less $$$.

So here's my list of bike's I'm considering at this point. I know they'll need some tweeking to be just right for me as I lean more towards the sport-touring flavor of riding, rather than canyon carver. Ergo, helibars, dbl bubble windscreens, better seat and some kind of bags as needed.

BMW: K1200RS (might not find one in my budget though)
Honda: 00-01 VFR or XX
Kawasaki: ZX-11 or ZX9R
Suzuki: 'Busa (maybe) TL (maybe)
Triumph: 00-01 Daytona or ST (really like that triple!)
Yamaha: 99-00 R1 (maybe with mods???)

Ducati's scare me a bit concerning parts and service, same with Aprilia, but I won't pass on a great deal if I find one. (ST2 is a likely candidate in my budget)

OK, so fire away with your opinions, suggestions, critiques...

Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
591 Posts
Tahoe said:
I figure I might find a killer deal on a new bike, but more likely, I'm looking at something a year or three old with low mileage.
Don't know exactly what your requirements are (weight, 2-up, etc), but before I'd buy a used bike, I'd think hard 'bout visiting yur Kawasaki dealer (have you read the open-class shootouts in Motorcyclist/Sport Rider?). I looked at used before buying my 6R new, but since Kawasaki was cuttin' deals, the me2 crowd won't go near 'em (thanx guys! :D), and the used bikes I looked at someone had obviously paid waaaaay to much money for. With the deals everyone's offering these days, it's gonna be tough to find a late-model used bike to compete. Methinks you're going to have to find a hard-luck case in order to get a deal to make it worth buying used. I vote for the 9R if you're leaning towards the sport end of sport-touring.

Now if you're leaning more towards the touring end, check Givi and see what they make luggage for. Got a buddy who has an older VFR with the full Givi setup and it makes a dandy sport-tourer. Sure the bags may stick out a bit (but I didn't think they looked bad at all), but if traveling is your thing...

Also, once you buy a Givi setup, you can always carry 'em with you, having to buy only the mount to fit your new bike. Not a bad investment if you look at the flexibility behind 'em.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further clarification: I'll do little if any two-up. The wifey says when the kids hit college, we get a K1200LT and then she'll ride (heated seats and a stereo...she's a smart lady :D ) Also, I'm 5'10 170 with 30" legs, but long arms (35")...yes, a knuckle-dragger :rolleyes:

As I live in the mountains, I really want a lighter bike that will handle well on less than ideal roads. That's why I've shyed away from the big K1200RS, along with the hefty pricetag.

Our dealer selections are limited here, however Sacramento, CA is only a couple hours away and that's a big market. I'm watching the classifieds online in that market as well as Reno. I'm not in a big hurry, so we'll see what pops up. I missed out on a delightful XX that was available last month, so perhaps another good deal will appear. ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Tahoe said:
Also, I'm 5'10 170 with 30" legs, but long arms (35")...yes, a knuckle-dragger.
170lbs!? Darn, why not a 600? I weight 200 (5/10" & 30/31" inseam) and have a blast on my 6R. I sometimes think 'bout trading it in on a 9R, but I stop and ask myself why? I use the 6R for 1 to 3-day rides, and stay in the mountains (crooked stuff). 'Course, it ain't too bad on the highway, but I usually ride with one hand on the throttle and sit up slightly, twisting my back to flex a bit. Darn if it ain't 'bout as comfortable as my Concours on the highway, as I catch a lot of air to take weight off my wrists (my Concours has the first-year only low bars). With 35" arms, dunno if you'd need any risers on a 6R/9R if you wanted a more upright position.

Don't knock it 'til ya try it! The 6R has more mid-range torque than the other 600s, so you don't have to wring it's guts to get it to move. I had an old '85 600 Ninja which you did!

BTW, I got $1000 off my 6R, but Kawasaki dropped the price $500 since I bought mine. I hear they give similar deals on the 9R.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Tahoe said:
Further clarification: I'll do little if any two-up. The wifey says when the kids hit college, we get a K1200LT and then she'll ride (heated seats and a stereo...she's a smart lady :D ) Also, I'm 5'10 170 with 30" legs, but long arms (35")...yes, a knuckle-dragger :rolleyes:

As I live in the mountains, I really want a lighter bike that will handle well on less than ideal roads. That's why I've shyed away from the big K1200RS, along with the hefty pricetag.

Our dealer selections are limited here, however Sacramento, CA is only a couple hours away and that's a big market. I'm watching the classifieds online in that market as well as Reno. I'm not in a big hurry, so we'll see what pops up. I missed out on a delightful XX that was available last month, so perhaps another good deal will appear. ;)
Sounds like you would be happy with a nice, used, low-mileage DUCATI 900SS that someone else has put all of the goodies on and had maintained at a reputable dealer. The 900SS has the air cooled 2valve motor which has much less maintenance requirements. I owned a '95 for 6years and it never failed me or needed repair. You should be able to get a carbureted one for less than $6k and a FI one for a few grand more...

OH!! look out! Here comes basicblur! Gotta go Tahoe, good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tahoe said:

I was seriously considering spending the whole Harley wad on a new Ducati ST4S or Aprilia Futura, but figured that I could get a heck of a bike for a lot less $$$.

So here's my list of bike's I'm considering at this point. I know they'll need some tweeking to be just right for me as I lean more towards the sport-touring flavor of riding, rather than canyon carver. Ergo, helibars, dbl bubble windscreens, better seat and some kind of bags as needed.

Ducati's scare me a bit concerning parts and service, same with Aprilia, but I won't pass on a great deal if I find one. (ST2 is a likely candidate in my budget)

OK, so fire away with your opinions, suggestions, critiques...

Tahoe,

Don't rule out the Aprilia Falco. It is one stellar motorcycle and cheaper than the Futura. Your concern about servicing it is understandable, but they are very reliable. Check some of the posts on the Aprilia forum about this bike. :thumb:

·
Registered
391 Posts
The top of my current wish list is the 9R. I've been down to the local dealer a few times to try it on and it fits pretty good. I'm shall we say large, 6'2" 250, but I like the way the Kawasaki feels. One day:D On the other hand nothing says Hooligan quite like the Triumph Speed Triple. I bet I could get in trouble on that without even moving!

·
Registered
177 Posts
FZ1 or ZX9R

I would recommend either a new ZX9R or Yamaha FZ1. They're both going to be in your price range brand new (well, maybe nearly new), and I think they would both fit the kind of bike your looking for. I would also recommend a ZX11 with heli-bars. I still get a tear in my eye when I remember my ZX11 being sold and ridden away by a stranger, I miss it still. :crying: :crying:

Be sure and let us know which you decide on.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go with the R1 it sounds like what you are looking for. Its compact and light with kickass power. It shouldn't be hard to find a 99-00 R1 in that price range.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
9R or Busa, comfort with the ability to rip it up when the need arises.

I think the TL is a great bike but NOT a sport/tour ergonomic package from what I hear??????????

B(orring)MW:D

Daytona:drool:

And in closing: Busa, Busa, Busa:thumb:

A guy dyno'd a nearly stock bus at 162 monday at the Buttonwillow track day Hammer4 and I went to!!!!!! And it's supposed to handle pretty damn well too.

Keep us posted on the sale and purchase Tahoe, good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tahoe, As A 30 Year Veteran H-D Rider (amoung many other things)And taking Your Size into consideration. I'd Go Triumph I love my Daytona, I'm 6' With 36" arms and that bike is comfortable I find that I ride it More Than I do My Harley's And Parts are no problem. :D :D :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
One other thing is that the Insurance is nothing compared to the other bikes. I pay $102 per year on My Daytona 1200, I'm paying $159/$179 On the Harley's.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Thunder, thanks for the feedback, but I am a bit confused. I understood that the Daytona was a 955, not a 1200. Isn't the 1200 the 4 cyl touring bike? I do really like the Daytona's I've demo'd however the Triumph dealer in Reno has a horrible reputation for service. My greatest concern would be warranty service and parts availability, assuming I used a non-dealer service center.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mines The last of the 1200 Daytonas It's in a t3 chassis They are fairly rare. The newer Daytona's are 955i's in T595 chassis. Newer better handling, lighter But still about the same ergos. Ride a Daytona You Won't regret It. What got me going on triumphs was in Sturgis in 2000 I had My Dyno down there and a guy had me work on His Trophy 1200 ( the bike that Your Thinking of) When I was done He insted that I ride it. I was Impressed It didnt weigh a hell of a lot more than a 1200 SPORTSTER. And Had 108 RWHP This was a Touring bike. After riding H-D dressers For Years the idea Appealed to Me Of a big nimbal Hi powered Touring bike. When I started looking into Triumph's I discovered The 1200 Daytona and had to have it. I still want a 955i 3 cyl also. Good luck in Your search. :D :D :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Man, Tahoe, haven't you decided yet?!?!?!

The more I read you're last couple of threads, and the more I ride my new Blackbird, the more I think a "bird" is the bike for you. Forget the VFR, an XX is simular weight, more power, more room for 2-up. The Bird is a established Honda design that is proven to be reliable...much more than any of the other bikes you've considered. My wife & I did a 2 day trip, 1100 km (700 mi.) 1/2 in the Mountains, 1/2 @ 80-100 mph, absolutely comfortable for both of us, and ton's of power (neither myself or my wife are light weights (170 lbs....I WISH), and we had a tailtrunk on.) If you're used to sportbikes, I'd leave the handle bars alone, although some people are using Heli-Bars. I'm 5-11" and have no trouble flatfooting at lights, in fact, my upcoming Corbin will be 1/4" taller than stock (I HOPE).

With next year's 'Bird being a new model, you'll have no trouble picking up a used one, or even a new one cheap. (hey send me a cheque for about $8700. and I'll deliver you a brand new 2001, nicely broken in, in a color you can't get in the State :D)

If riding w/ your wife is not a concern, I'd get the ZX9r, for a lighter sportier ride, (same deal on delivery btw.)

Actually there really isn't a bad bike in the bunch you've picked, isn't it great!? Go for it! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually there really isn't a bad bike in the bunch you've picked, isn't it great!? Go for it!
Therein lies the problem...which one!

I love the nimbleness of a lightweight, shorter wheelbase bike, and the low-mid torque of a V-Twin (the Trumpet triple ain't bad either!)

I've lined up a ride on a XX when I get back in town and a buddy with a new RC-51 insists that I should try it before deciding.

Sheesh! And after all this, just about anything is going to feel like a quantum leap forward from the old Road King :D

I've also added an Aprilia Falco to my list as there's a cherry one a couple hours away for under 9 large.

Keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you're really (be honest now) leaning towards a sport-touring ride, then just cross off all the bikes on your list that aren't available with integrated hardbags. Let's be honest guys, almost all the new ST bikes can hang with almost all the supersport during extremely spirited street riding (ie. 80%) with a good rider. On the track is a different story.

So here's my list of bikes that can scratch and tour just fine...why NOT have the best of both worlds when you bike spends 100% of its time on the street? Eh? ;)

Sprint ST - Nice solid machine
VFR - no brainer. They aren't called the best all around streetbike for nuttin'. The new VFR will out handle all the bikes on this list.
ST4s - $$ and frequent valve adjusts you're gonna have to pay for
Futura - solid machine if you dig the vtwin thang.
ZZR1200 - Rocketship ST...with bags.
K1200RS - sweet machine (despite what some people here believe). 130 hp, heated grips, adjustable seat, pegs, handlebars, windscreen, TRUE cruise control, electrical outlets, hardbags, on, and on....but it's gonna cost ya. :D A plush, sofisticated, bullet train.

Seriously, if I didn't feel guilty about spending so much money, I might give the RS a shot. As it is I have the '02 VFR...and love it, best bike I've ever owned (9 so far). Excellent all arounder, and that's what I wanted. Not the fastest, or the quickest, or the lightest, or most comfortable, or the besting handling bike on the planet...but I do believe it does all of these thing exceptionally well...VERY well. As do most of the bikes above.

What am I forgetting....? That didn't help at all did it? LOL!

·
Registered
609 Posts
UFO said:
....cross off all the bikes on your list that aren't available with integrated hardbags. ....

ZZR1200 - Rocketship ST...with bags.
Having seen the bags for the ZZR, don't let them be a deciding factor. All they are is a set of Givi E360's painted to match. They'll end up looking exactly like the set I put on my 'Bird. Same price too.

Oh ya, I forgot about the Triumph ST. Another sweet ride.
Tahoe, suck up to you friends, dealers and get your ass on a couple of these bikes. Then buy one and enjoy. There's no rule saying it'll be the last bike you'll ever own.

·
Registered
391 Posts
thunder said:
Tahoe, As A 30 Year Veteran H-D Rider (amoung many other things)And taking Your Size into consideration. I'd Go Triumph I love my Daytona, I'm 6' With 36" arms and that bike is comfortable I find that I ride it More Than I do My Harley's And Parts are no problem. :D :D :D
Hey Thunder, I have a question that I can never remember to ask when I'm at the Triumph Dealer( the nearest one is about an hour away) Anyway, are the fastners on the new Triumphs metric now, or are they still the odd English Whitworth or whatever? I love the new bikes, but I'm concerned that I would have to buy all new tools to do any work on one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts