Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to trade my 2001 SV650S in next summer for a larger cc bike. Here are the bikes I'm looking at...

- Yamaha R1 (1998-2001)
- Suzuki GSXR 750 (2000-2001)
- Suzuki TL1000R (1999-2001)
- Honda CBR 929 RR (2000-2001)

I'm looking to buy used (around $8000) and I was wondering which one of these bikes people think would make a good second bike.
I'm 5'7'' 150 and I've had about 2 seasons of riding and I just need some more power and maybe more so... a change.

I'm looking for a good mix between power, comfort and quality. What would you look at? Any help or thoughts would be great! THX

·
Registered
122 Posts
i suppose this don't mean much because i don't own one. i've give a vote to the r1 if you want it to handle,some comfort, power,and looks. then again i'm ridding a fzr1000 from 87 :>) I LOVE IT. the power is a little short.. i'm doing a major rebuild, big bore,ect. and nitrous.... i,ve redone alot already..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
whoa....loaded question. i personally would go with the 929 if you WON'T go for track days. if you are gonna go on the track, then i'd pick the r1 or gsxr. i'm not a v-twin fan (sorry to all v-twin owners.....nothing personal, just my opinion), but maybe a tl owner can give you reasons why it's a good bike. the 929 is bulletproof and will last forever. the yam and gixxer have really aggressive riding positions (compared to the 929), but are ultra flickable and if you read the 08/02 cycle world, they pitted the best riders (journalists) on the top bikes (yams, ducks, etc.) and the gixxer 750 was the overall pick for best bike. i am going to get a used gixxer 750 for track days......wish i could use my 9, but i like it too much for the street and stunting! good luck and i don't envy you......tough choice. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
What Tristan said. a 600 supersport will be power a'plenty coming from the SV650. The ones you're looking at are loop-outs waiting to happen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went from a SV650S to a VFR and I love it. I can drag a peg, blow by most everyone, and ride all day in comfort. Where 200 miles used to be a long ride, I can now rip off 450 no prob. Larry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see this bike is going to be the last one I buy for a good number of years so I don't want to outgrow it. Id rather get a larger cc bike that I can learn to use and grow with. I'm afraid that if I get an R6 or an F4i that I might outgrow them within a year or two leaving me looking for more power. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Aim for a Honda 929

for of the bikes you mentioned this one has the sensible riding position & it was a big bike designed for hwy use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have to agree with all of the above. yet don't write of a r6 or f4 these bikes are by no means SLOW. i think you'd be quite surprised by the sheer power of either.. take one for a spin. just because it doesn't say 929 on the side most street riders will never out do one of those 6's. also the insurance is cheaper. the initial cost is cheaper ect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have to agree with the above. the r6 and f4 should not be overlooked. these are not play toys. just because they don't say 929 does't mean thay arn't POWERFULL take one for a spin you might be compleetly surprised... most all will run 10's in the 1/4 most street riders will never superseed the power... they are cheaper to insure and the initial cost is lower. go to the dealer and take one for a ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My vote's on the TL-R, if for no other reasons than I think it's a cool bike and I don't like inlines :D It's a pretty docile bike if you ride it gently, but it really rips. Lots of aftermarket support if for some reason it winds up being too slow for you ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Couldn't really go wrong with any of the four although I would lean towards the GXR750 or and r1. Better yet, why not haul off and add another couple grand a get an 02 R1. Best looking sportbike, bar none and hey, it's an R1! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the TL. For one reason, you've got an SV and the engine is built the same way from what I understand, only bigger. Another reason is that there are too many inline 4's out there (no offense to you inline guys). Everyone is talking about their R1 or their GSX-R 1000. Be different! Seriously, any of those bikes you mentioned would be a good step up. Also, don't let anyone tell you that a bike is too much for you. The throttle twists both ways and the rider will cause a crash long before the bike will. Just use common sense and ride within your limits. One more thing, have you ever thought about beefing up your SV? They have some great aftermarket stuff for those bikes that can really make them scream and with some engine work, I don't think they'll have a problem keeping up with liter bikes. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From the bikes you are choosing from - either the 929 or the R-1. You should have no problem getting a really nice bike for 8,000. I recommend test driving a few of them. When I bought my bike I tested the R-1 and a 929. I also came really close to the 954 but in the end I fell in love with the R-1 and am soooooo happpppy with my choice.
If you are really serious about getting a bike, most dealers will let you test drive the used ones and then you select.

Good luck with your choice.
Jim out

·
Registered
21 Posts
BUSA busa busa!!

Another bike which isnt on your list but in your price range would be the Kawasaki 7r maybe 9r. my dealer had a 2001 which could of been had for 7500$ If you want a bike you can ride in comfort, id suggest honda or kawasaki. If you want all out track performance i'd say suzuki. I'm a fan of twins, great sound, and tons of torque. Honda Superhawk and TL1000R are cool.

I havent ridden any of the bikes on your list, my advice is to test ride them all and then chose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts