Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of research and shopping, I am finally prepared to go out and get a bike. By the subject, you may have guessed what I really want. The '98 or '99 ZX-7R is in my opinion one of the best looking bikes out there. The trouble is that there are not all that many of them(another reason I want one).

I have been looking in the local "News On Wheels", Ebay, and the clasiifieds of this site. Cna anyone offer any advice on how to go about finding one for sale or possibly list some sites or publications to search in?

I am not really pressed for time here and I am willing to shop around a good bit to find one that is in GOOD condition, with minimal cosmetic damage if any, and a reasonable price tag. I prefer the Green color scheme but I would be willing to look at others.

I'm setting the time limit on this search to about the beginning of Oct, which should give me about 5 weeks. If I can not find anything by then, I will probably go with a '99 or '00
ZX-6R or a CBR F4 which are a dime a dozen.

Please help me out if you see any for sale. Thanks.

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
Joe, pick up Cycle Trader magazine, I saw several ZX7Rs in last week's issue. Granted, they were all in Texas (it's the TX/LA edition), but you may have to go out of state since Louisiana ain't exactly the sportbike capital of the world. You can also check www.traderonline.com

Good luck!

P.S. I hate to say this where Spitfire can see it, but I too think that the ZX7R is one of the best looking bikes out there.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited August 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete. Where do I get that magazine???

I have no problem going to Texas to get the bike if the price is right. If I do, will I have to pax tax on it to bring it back into LA???

------------------

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hey Joe,
Just check out the website. I believe it has all of the listings that are in the mag and then some, since you can list for free on the website. www.traderonline.com

If you want the paper copy, most 7-11's or Circle K's (do you have those?) carry them. Just look right next to the front door in the magazine rack next to the newspapers. (Convenience stores are so predictable)

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

P

·
0 Posts
Joe,

What Will said.

As for the tax, yes, you'll have to pay when you register the bike in Louisiana. You can minimize the hurt to your wallet by convincing the seller to write the sale at a much lower price than the actual selling price. The state will use that bill of sale for the tax basis.

------------------
Pete
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sales tax on a private sale???

Is that a Texas/Louisiana thing? In AZ, and everywhere else I know of, you shouldn't have to pay any sales tax if you're not buying from a dealer.

They tried a tax law here a few years ago, where you had to pay sales tax if you bought a used vehicle from a private seller, if the value of the vehicle was over $750. All of a sudden, every used bike and car people bought seemed to be worth $750!

The lawmakers soon realized just how stupid and unenforceable that law was, and they tossed it!

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Its actually not that uncommon....I know Virginia does it also. You get to pay tax since its a sale in that state. And you had to register your car with the County you live in so you could be taxed on it once a year too...(can you say double taxation), that tax was based on the bluebook times a certain percentage....

Just my rambling

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

P

·
0 Posts
Well, maybe I spoke out of turn about bringing a bike back into Louisiana, but I know it works that way when you bring one into Texas, or buy from a private seller within Texas.

------------------
Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Joe, I guess I should have been more clear with the terminology. You're right, it's not a sales tax, it's the tax for registering the bike in the state that you have to pay.

Just FYI, you got the pronunciation right, but the spelling is p-i-r-o-g-u-e. I'm Cajun, born and raised in Thibodaux, LA, and logged many miles in pirogues. For those who don't know and want to know, I can best describe a pirogue as a flat bottomed canoe, without the upswept bow and stern. Made to traverse the mucky swamps, i.e., the backyard. ;)

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I checked on the tax thing. As far as I understand, I won't have to pay any "sales" tax if I go buy the bike in Texas since it is a private sale. I will have to pay tax for the ownership of the item based upon estimated blue book value once I bring it back here. I'm not sure whether an "adjusted bill of sale" can be used for the tax basis here. Basically, I think this means that I don't get double f*cked, but I do have to pay tax on the bike when I register it in LA.

I know there are some LA guys on this forum so if you guys read this and you can clear this tax issue up for me, Please do so.

Thanks for the site Pete and yes we do have Circle K's here. I just have to row my peerog to get down the bayou to one.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm almost glad I didn't spell that right. I'm scared that you did though. :)

By the way, is around $6500 a fair price for a 98-99 ZX-7R with no cosmetic damage and 7000 miles.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
NAHHHH , You can beat him down!!!

check here www.kbb.com
------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

[This message has been edited by Squidwannabe (edited September 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smokin' Joe:

By the way, is around $6500 a fair price for a 98-99 ZX-7R with no cosmetic damage and 7000 miles.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokin Joe,

No price is a good price for a ZX-7R. Tell yourself "No Green"... "No Green". J/K :p :D

BTW, I like Baton Rouge. It is a fun city and is close to the hometown(Walker, LA)of one of my favorite racers, Jamie James. :cool:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to throw in my $.02... I don't want to tip over the apple cart or piss anybody off but is looks the only thing drawing you to the ZX7R? The reason I ask is that Kawi has neglected the 750 for year now (since 94 I think). The only real changes to the bike for years has been cosmetic. I agree they look good but you don't want a 98 ZX6R to out preform you 98 ZX7R do you? The 6 will ever out run you 750 in the quarter if they are both stock. What about a ZX9R? 98 or newer are sweet bikes. Check them out.

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hey Rob, Smokin Joe doesn't want to hear your damn Vulcan logic! Let him buy on looks alone. If we start caring about actual specs, we'll all end up riding R1's and R6's, and how boring would that be?

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just my 2 cents..

When I brought my THRICE wrecked '86 Ninja 6 in from Texas, I stand when I say that, I had to pay FULL BLUE BOOK price for the "taxes", herm, I mean registration fees. I owned the bike and did not have to pay any tax, just a "registration fee of X% of KBB". To make me even more pissed, they called the local bike shop and asked what the "resale" value for my bike would be. No "official" anything to justify me paying that much for a bike with UGLY cosmetic damage.

Have to just love this crappy state,
Xert
Can't seem to get out of Looserana due to suction.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Green Rob, I would have to say that looks are probably the predominant reason that I want a ZX7R. I just love the way the bike looks, especially the 98's. That being said there are other reasons. I want something that is going to be a little more stable and less flickable than the lighter 600's. The ZX7R has a little more low end and I am going to be doing a lot of city/suburban/highway riding. The fact that the bike weighs a little more will most probably bode well for this type of riding. At the same time, The power to weight of this bike isn't even close to that of the 900's and I am not sure that I am ready for that much power quite yet.

Did I mention I like the way the 7R looks?

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
COUGHPOSER!!!!COUGH

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me get this straight. I'm a poser because I want to buy a bike that I think looks good? I didn't ask your opinion Squidwannabe. :D

Got some semen dangling in your throat? :eek:

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokin' Joe (edited September 12, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts