Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks,I think Santa,(me), is going to put a performance exhaust on my bike,but,I have many thoughts on the subject and could use your input! :)Here are a few of my thoughts and questions:
1)In addition I plan on a jet-kit and probably a K&N filter.
2) Guess I'll have to loose the center stand,huh?
3)I'd like easy access to the oil filter still...
4)I'm not Bill Gates :rolleyes: so I really have to watch my costs as much as I can.I'd like to go with either Yosh or Vance & Hines.Does Yosh still make the round canister Zyclone??If so,is it one to consider?
5) Is this going to be worth the effort??
I plan on visiting these guys'websites and any others I may consider.(Also:I'm not that much into a noisey-hey-Mr.Policeman!-system either.)
Any of your thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated!! :confused:
Thanks muchly :D :D :D

JIM

------------------
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!!

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
You want to gain performance? Get rid of the Katana! Just kiddin'. I had a Yosh on my 600, and I liked the sound of that much better than V&H. I had a V&H on my other 600, so I've heard both. I actually aslo have a V&H on my 900 right now, but am not really satisfied with the sound. It reminds me of a 600. No offense. I'll be a full Akropovik soon. My santa! Definately go K&N. Good luck.
Yosh sounds better on 6's. MY $.02

------------------
vroom, vroom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well Why do you guys want to waste your money on those bikes??? Esp the Kan a tuna? Seriously I used to ride a Katana for a month.....I bought it in March as my first bike rode it and got a new 6r in april. My 6 has more hp than the 95 900rr I know with the pipe(LeoVinci High Mount Race System) it definately does. You may notice a little diff. but to be honest they are other systems that make more hp than the akrapovich. Just my $.02 I am sorry for feeling that way and I like all riders no matter what they ride but don't wanna see you guys waste money!

------------------
Let the big dawg EAT!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastAssZX6R:
Well Why do you guys want to waste your money on those bikes??? Esp the Kan a tuna? Seriously I used to ride a Katana for a month.....I bought it in March as my first bike rode it and got a new 6r in april. My 6 has more hp than the 95 900rr I know with the pipe(LeoVinci High Mount Race System) it definately does. You may notice a little diff. but to be honest they are other systems that make more hp than the akrapovich. Just my $.02 I am sorry for feeling that way and I like all riders no matter what they ride but don't wanna see you guys waste money!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He did say he was watching his money. I would think that an exhaust systems cost alot less than a bike (unless it's an Akrapovich).

Go with a Yosh pipe. Take a look at RS-3. I think Zyclone may have been discontinued.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
it's funny how guys with $10000 bike will pay 1100 bucks for a akro exhaust to loose 5lbs and gain 6hp, then tell someone with an old katana to not waste his money on a $300 exhaust that will drop a good 10-20lbs and gain 3 or 4 hp (which percentage-wise is a much bigger increase).

personally, if you can get the old old race-only pipe (using a 4-1 pro-series header with a normal looking muffler) and don't care about noise pollution is probably the best bang for the buck.

if the old race-only isn't around or you want quieter, the zyclone is a good sounding choice.

does vhr still make the suspersport exhaust? it's also a good choice.

if those 3 exhaust aren't around, things get difficult. then you're looking at big money on an old bike. have you considered buying a used pipe?

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the input folks...
Like I said,unfortunately I'm on a tight budget,maybe this might not even happen,but at least I should check it out :confused: ,(if I had more money,maybe I'd have a newer,faster,etc,bike!! :D :p :p)
For now I really like the Kat and the handling improved with a tire change so now I am looking at a little more GO-power!! :)
I looked at slip-ons briefly,all I could find were Cobra F-1's,(YUCK!).If that's a possible route,then let me know of other quality,budget brands!?!
I've been told Microns are good,but,I think they are spendy????I've Emailed them for more info....
Again...thanx for all the input!! :) :) :)

JIM

------------------

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my Y2k ZX-6R, I put on a D&D carbon slip-on.. BTW.. great looking can.. =) Cost is pretty high $400 for a slip on since its carbon fiber but sounds pretty damn good. Its got a deep idle and gets pretty loud when ur on it. But I think this is how a bike should sound.. deep and MEAN. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the sound from other riders. The Yoshi RS 3 is alright, sounds a lil smaller compared to my D&D. My 2 friends has the Yoshi on a CBR600 and a YZF600. I've heard a Muzzy on a 6R as well, not as deep as the D&D. Some pics of my bike.. http://www.geocities.com/stylin328i/bikes

------------------
RedNinja6R
----------------------
Y2k Straight RED Ninja ZX-6R,.. Amazingly RED isnt it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RedNinja6R

Thanks for your input!
This whole thing would be more interesting if I could find some slip-ons for my dual pipes.The look of the dual pipes is one of the reasons I like my Kat.The only slip-ons I found were Cobra F-1's...ick!!! :(
My dealer is also checking into any "deals" he may be able to get for me!!
Stay tuned for further adventures..... :) :)

JIM
BTW:Your pix wouldn't come up!?!?

------------------

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had some Cobra F1r's on my old EX500. They were easy to install and I didn't rejet the bike, though they did run a bit leaner than the stock pipe.

No, I didn't add power, but I did lose a lot of weight. Compared to the steel regular exhaust system I must have shed at least 15 pounds. Even with no horsepower gain, that does help a bit. Plus they sounded pretty cool... :)

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
18 Posts
It figuers that a ******* from South Carolina
would talk crap about Katanas.
I personally love my 94 Katana, its paid in full,gets me to work everyday with no problems whats so ever and its a good looking bike.( sorry guys i needed to vent )
Anyways, vance and hines still makes the supersport exhaust and i believe the price is
in the range of about $400, but you still have to rejet and do the timing advance.
I checked with vance and hines about 2 months ago about getting my bike done and
the price tag for exhaust,rejet,timing advance and all the labor came close to about
$1,000 which i thought was kinda high.
I could get the yoshi exhaust for $250( guy I
work with has a friend at yoshimura).

THE KAT PURRS :)

------------------

·
Registered
49 Posts
Heres the link to my bike, stupid Geocities.. didnt work coz I didnt capitalize my B in Bike..
http://www.geocities.com/stylin328i/Bikes/

They dont make slip ons for dual pipes..??

RedNinja6R

------------------
RedNinja6R
----------------------

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RedNinja:

Nice lookin' pipe...not to mention good lookin' ride!! :)
ThanX!!!
(Do you know of a source for slip ons for my dual pipes??)I may not lose a lot of weight if I retain the duals,but,I still like the look!!

JIM

------------------

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well just b/c I am living in SC doesn't mean I am from here so that being said dumbass I am not a *******....so if ya wanna see I real ******* come down here and go thru the low country and you'll find one and while you are here I can smoke you can a tunas ass! Sorry Just NO need to be calling people ********! And also I was just stating a pipe on a Katana is NOTHING but sound vvvrrooom vrrooom no powerso waist of money wouldn't ya say!

------------------
Keep the rubberside down and lean it like you mean it!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well,Ihave to take issue w/the statement that a pipe won't give a Katana any horse-power.Sure some pipes will probably do less good that others but a manufacturer won't risk his reputation on selling a product that won't perform!!
If your comment was'cause you dislike Katanas,then,Iam sorry to hear that.They are one of Suzuki's top sellersfor years now.The proof of that is the Katana has been around since the early 80's.

JIM :) :) :)

(Was I nice enough,Pete :D)

------------------

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 16, 2000).]

G

·
Dear Katana600,

Get a life and stop cluttering up SBW with your usless posts :rolleyes: This Place is for SPORTBIKES! Not for sportbikewannabe Poser machines :rolleyes: :p

Sell the Katana get a bigger bike, If you don't have the money for a new bike save up a few bucks, I hear the old GSXR1100 Engine just slides right in there ;)

Later poser

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow.. I never realized the Katana600 gets so much disrespect. Its a decent bike guys.. I know its not like anything of the modern sport bike class but its better than an older 600 bike. Thank god Susuki finally changed the design of the bike though, what was it.. from 92-99 the bike didnt change design.

I dont know much about dual pipe slip ons since I dont have one and never investigated it. but keep looking around.. Im sure u'll find something.

And a can for sound is all good.. I hate quiet "sport" bikes, my friends CBR929rr sounds like a hamster wheel.. hehe.

------------------
RedNinja6R
----------------------

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Squidwannabe:

With your dual sport 600R,I'd have to say you're jealous!!! :p :p.(also for your mean spirited comments,about the super wonderful Katana, Santa told me I get the exhaust system,but u get a lump of coal!!)

JIM

------------------

[This message has been edited by katana600 (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
Dear Katana600,

Get a life and stop cluttering up SBW with your usless posts :rolleyes: This Place is for SPORTBIKES! Not for sportbikewannabe Poser machines :rolleyes: :p

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No no, tell us how you really feel!
P.S. I agree!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts