Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 07 Yamaha YZF R6 from Arizona. DMV wants to inspect the emissions sticker for California use. Will I pass???

·
Registered
369 Posts
No. Current CARB (California) standards still exceed Federal requirements even though the Federal emissions requirements were upgraded in 2006. There is a possibility that California will defer to the Federal standards for the 2008 model year once the Tier II Federal regulations become effective, but that won't help you now.

There is, however, a limitation. A 49 state vehicle with more than 7,500 miles on it can be registered in California under a grandfather rule. If you put 7,500 miles on it in a hurry before you register it, you can then register it in California.

EDIT: If the sticker says it's CARB certified, you're good to go and it will pass. Otherwise, it won't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonderful. I only have 3,700 on it. But I am military and the lady at DMV had some form that may esclude me from this problem. We'll see what happens....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is with California?!?!?

Shouldn't they make motorcycles easier to register to cut down on car emissions and traffic congestion??

·
Registered
369 Posts
newbspeed said:
Wonderful. I only have 3,700 on it. But I am military and the lady at DMV had some form that may esclude me from this problem. We'll see what happens....
Ahhhh you didn't tell me that. Is California your home of record or are you stationed there? If you're military, you have two options - register it in the State you're currently stationed at, or register it in the State of your home of record.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: Illinois

newbspeed said:
...but wouldn't I have to take it out to Illinois to register it??
I don't think so. Most States allow out-of-state military to register vehicles by mail. Unless that's changed - call the Illinois DMV and ask. You would of course need to provide an Illinois address.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I can use my parents address. But tonight I just looked at the owner's manual and it has the (C) at the end of the model number. The difference with the Cali bike is a charcoal canister to soak up unburnt exhaust fumes. It says it has a catalytic converter also. I looked at the model number under the rear seat and it also has a "C" at the end which has also been highlited. So I'm hoping this is a Cali bike. I could take off some fairings and look for the canister and such, but I'll just take it to DMV and see what they say. Thanks for the help Mister Tee!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's registered!!

Told em I am military and I was stati0oned in Arizona when I bought it. Since I'm forced to be in San Diego because of the military, I can register it even though it is not Cali emissions. SWEET!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts