Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought helmets were too constricting and cut down on your vision and hearing too much, But I'm alot older now and two kids later, I'm considering wearing one. In Illinois we don't have a helmet law but I'm riding 70 miles a day which 60 of that is interstate speeds 70 to 90 so you don't get run over. So my question is do the full faced hemets feel like their going to rip your head off at 80 mph or do they help on blocking the wind and help keep the 40 degree temp out of your face in the morning??

I know better alittle discomfort that your head splattered on the interstate!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tribby said:
I've always thought helmets were too constricting and cut down on your vision and hearing too much, But I'm alot older now and two kids later, I'm considering wearing one. In Illinois we don't have a helmet law but I'm riding 70 miles a day which 60 of that is interstate speeds 70 to 90 so you don't get run over. So my question is do the full faced hemets feel like their going to rip your head off at 80 mph or do they help on blocking the wind and help keep the 40 degree temp out of your face in the morning??

I know better alittle discomfort that your head splattered on the interstate!!!!
IMO a full face helmet is the only way to go at high speeds. They help to cut down the roaring sound of the wind, help actually increase your vision because you dont have to squant your eyes because of the wind, and they help keep all the damn bugs out of your eyes and mouth!:D I havent noticed that my helmets wants to come off, IF IT IS TIGHTLY SECURED.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
It all depends on the helmet. I have had ICON and SHOEI. Both good helmets, the shoei seems to stay in place better at higher speeds due to more padding. The ICON was noisy and moved alot, but had a half naked girl on the side too :eyebrows:

My new shoeit is like a pillow. I sjust got it friday, the Picotte Jester.... fitting if you think about it. :D I can't wait to ride now!

As for cold, look into hooded thing, forgot how to spell the name, sounds like a greek desert. Still get a little cold, but not as much.

Good luck, ride safe! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Tribby said:
...I know better alittle discomfort that your head splattered on the interstate!!!!
You're only just now realising this??????????

Full-faced helmets have better aerodynamics than your head does, so you'll likely notice a marked DECREASE in the amount of buffeting you get at 80mph. Top that off with no more bugs in your teeth and protection from rain, cold and bitumen and they sound appealling, hey?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Differences between balaclavas and baklava

Hi Jester-

This is a balaclava. It is made of silk or wool and can be worn underneath a helmet to provide additional protection from the elements:

This is a baklava. It is made with thin phyllo dough, butter, tender chopped nuts, cinnamon, honey, and other flavors:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Protection in an along-the-asphalt accident requires minimal explanation...

Use of my quality Arai helmets coupled with top-of-the-line earplugs have allowed me to retain my hearing after years of motorcycling. Wearing a helmet will allow a rider to go both farther and faster in MUCH more comfort.

A cicada or small bird to the shield while wearing a helmet is an event that one will mention to fellow riders for a few days and then forget about it. An unprotected rider slamming into a sparrow at 70 m.p.h. can be swept off his/her bike and be involved in a fatal accident.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
329 Posts
there is absolutely no down side to wearing a helmet. Period. You can hear better due to wind nott blowing in your ears, you can see better, and ofcourse it will most likely save your head if you go down. I once went down at about 20 mph, doesnt sound like much, but in this particular crash I scraped the face gaurd portion of my helmet the whole time I was sliding which wasnt far. This was the worst my facial part of any helmet has ever been damaged, even though it was one of my milder crashes, would have destroyed my face if I hadnt had a helmet on. I once flipped an endo at about 35 and didnt get a scratch, just goes to show you never know when it will help, so wear it all the time. no exceptions. My :2cents:

·
Registered
233 Posts
When you do get a helmet make sure you actually go to a shop and pick one out. Nothing beats actually "fealing" the helmet on your head. Even if its just to see what brand and size in that brand. I bought a helmet off of Ebay because it was cheep, the damn thing didnt fit, even though I measured my head like they said.

·
Registered
609 Posts
jab said:
there is absolutely no down side to wearing a helmet. Period.
Absolutely. All those excuses that helmets are restricting, cut down on hearing, vision, ect., are just stupid. It's one thing just to argue the right to not wear one, but no reason for those excuses.

Besides, like Blue Jay said, earplugs will help conserve your hearing. A lot of people ride with them in, and I haven't heard of anyone getting into an accident because they couldn't hear something. You're still going to hear a car horn or realize there's a truck riding your ass with them in.

And to answer your question, I don't think a helmet makes you feel like your head is going to get ripped off. Better off protecting your face from the elements anyway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i heard that something like 90% of all motorcycle fatalities happen within 3 miles of your house and under 35 miles an hour. "no need for a helmet...im just taking a quick ride to the store..."

·
Registered
295 Posts
ok ill touch off this topic just like i do in every thread.

which helmets do you find are the best, my friend had a shoei and when riding with that i really liked it. an hjc came with the bike and that thing sux big balls i cant stand it.

the consinsous (sp?) is shoei, arai and agv are the best. im looking into getting a shoei though just wondering what other people think

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Re: Differences between balaclavas and baklava

Blue Jays said:
Hi Jester-

This is a balaclava.<SNIP>
This is a baklava.
~ Blue Jays ~
You are really killer sometimes :laughing:

Tribby: What they all said. I wanted to suggest that if you're not wearing gear, which means minimally a real leather jacket and real leather gloves with, say, 0.9mm or greater thickness, you're probably doing your kids a disservice. Any of us would be more than happy to make some recommendations given a budget. :2cents:

Good luck out there!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a Shoei, and when I went and tried helmets on, I liked that brand and Arai. When I tried on HJC and some other brands, I didn't like the feel, which is what it comes down to. The more expensive helmets are more $$ typically because of features(lighter, more vents, ect), not necessarily safety.

So the "best" helmet is one that feels best on your head(and is at least DOT approved, and Snell is another safety endorsement).

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm a fan of Suomy. I started with an HJC and replaced it within 3 months. But like Slaps said, it comes down to fit. All helmets are designed differently and therefor fit differently. Which is a good thing since everyones head is different. I have tried Shoei helmets but didn't like them because they were to weak on the cheeks so it got alot of lift and tended to want to cock sideways in crosswind. Just find what fits well and you can live with and get it. I bought mine off the net, but I had already tried on the helmet to get the right size.

Sepias

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
JBaz said:
I get a free helmet for every wrecked bike I buy since the owner's of the wrecked bikes want to rid of everything about the bike (more like the wife does). I have 4 helmets.
That's a pretty good methodology! But isn't the helmet shot from the crash?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts