Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone do with their helmets when they go in a store or somewhere? Do you lock them on your bikes or take them with you? I don't plan to buy an expensive helmet, so i thought i would lock it to the bike, but i've heard horror stories of things that happen. Like someone pouring a drink in it or an ice cream cone? It just seems like a pain to carry it. So what do ya do?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I take my helmet with me reguardless. My biggest worry is not that someone will be malicous to it but more the wether and it raining or someone just bumping it by accedent as well and hurting it. Or even a dog pissing on it lol. If you want to lock yours to your bike, you might buy a helmet with a removable liner just incase something happens you can wash it. HJC makes fairly cheap but nice helmets with removeable liners.

Sepias

·
Registered
892 Posts
i take it with me always. people do stupid things and that nylon strap can be cut very easily. depending on the store i usually leave it by th security guy up front for by customer service behind the desk or something like that so i dont have to carry it if i'm going to be in there for a bit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
$500 helmet = take it with me!!!

It's really not that big of a deal to carry it around. I never thought of leaving it with the security guy, but even then, I get better peace of mind when it's in my hand. If something does happen to it, I'll know that it's my doing, and not because I left it somewhere and someone else fucked it up. Kinda like if you crash your bike: shitty as it may feel, it'll feel much better than if your friend, or some dumbass you don't even know crashes it. But that's with a $500 helmet. If you get a cheap one, then it might be different. And I still don't think it's a pain to just carry it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Take it with you. Some knucklehead could drop it on a carpet-covered cement floor and the crushable padding would be damaged with no visible shell damage. It's not worth the risk. Helmets are a "one shot" piece of equipment.

When I ride to the gym I leave my helmet behind the desk on a deep shelf. The folks at the gym have known me for more than a decade and understand that the helmet can't be subject to impacts. I would never give this much trust to a retail store where they don't really know me.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't even take it off. I just ride the whole bike in the store and do some mobile shopping. LOL:D I usually take my helmet in with me. It would be so easy for someone to steal it or damage it.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
For me, it depends on where I am at the time. In my little town, I've got no qualms about locking it to the bike but, in some suburbs, I wouldn't even consider leaving it on the bike.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ditto here. I find the locking tabs on bikes to be too much of a pain to use. Plus I'm ussually walking away from the bike by the time the helmet comes off anyway....(Take the left glove off, put key in pocket, take 2-3 steps while the right glove is removed, another 4 to pop ouf of the helmet, place both gloves in the helmet, another step, start pulling off the jacket. Yeah, I'm a creature of habit)

As for gyms, the most annoying part is that the helmet wont fit in a standard size locker. So the only choice you got is to ask someone to keep it behind their desk.. Few people ever mess with it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Whats a gym and why are so many of you going to it? Is it anouther form of couch? Or some new type of TV that serves beer? LOL. Im at my gym right now :D

Sepias

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Stuff my gloves in the helmet & carry it under arm or if in for a cuppa then it sits on the counter or the table.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Smitty said:
Stuff my gloves in the helmet & carry it under arm or if in for a cuppa then it sits on the counter or the table.
Very good point... Helmets make excellent places to put gloves in.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I usually pinch my gloves in visor on my helmet that way they dont fall out. I also usually ride with a backpack on and I have an extra long sleeve shirt in it as well as a pair of heavy leather gloves just in case. Does anyone carry helmet bags with them and put their helmet in it when they get off? Ive tried it but it seems to be more of a hassel than a help.

Sepias

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have always locked my helmet to my bike. Maybe I'm to naive to know better:I don't know. I have never had any problems (that I know of). I think the only time I had anything close to a problem was at work. It was a windy day, parked next to an island that was covered in cedar mulch. I ended up with a bunch of it in my helmet. I think I'm much more worried of dropping it myslef, than I am of someone messing with my lid.

Although, I just picked up my new Shoei lid (that I'm wearing as I type this). And I think I might have to reconsider my practices.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
...I just picked up my new Shoei lid (that I'm wearing as I type this)...
Mate, you're supposed to wear it when riding, not when surfing (the 'net). :twofinger

·
Registered
515 Posts
cookeetree said:
Mate, you're supposed to wear it when riding, not when surfing (the 'net). :twofinger
this place is getting to be dangerous as well, may as well protect your noggin :twofinger

I almost always take my helmet w/ me, its a great place to store my gloves, as I'm usually moving away from my bike while I take off my helmet and gloves anyway. i feel paranoid enough when I leave my bike out in the open, but I do occasionally leave my helmet locked whenever I'm out w/ other riders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts