Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a new visor my RF800?
I was thinking I want the dark smoke, but I'm also considering the yellow and mirrored...do they enhance your vision and how are they in the dark?? The visort would be on a red helmet...think the yellow would look bad?? Thanks, Drew.

------------------
Hamburgers. The
cornerstone of any
nutritious breakfast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd stay away from any of the dark tinted visors if you ride at night. The yellow and high-definition orange work well in low light though. I just put the hi-def on my RF (Picotte Replica) and the orange looks good with the helmet. Your eyes adjust to the yellow and orange, so it's no problem. Good luck......

------------------
C'mon guys! It's all ball bearings these days!...STC

·
Registered
549 Posts
Word of warning: I had the iridescent blue visor for my Doohan replica and when riding up in the mountains in some slight mist, it was ruined. Little spots all over it where the iridescent blue came off and now it's not only ugly but hard to see through, so useless. The only thing we can think of is acid rain, so if you ride in any kind of element, the ones with coating on the exteriors might not be your best bet. I have since gotten a dark black (can't seem to find sunglasses that don't bother the back of my ears in the helmet) tinted visor and I actually carry the clear with me so I can change it if there is a possibility of the ride lasting until dark. Either that or I use the clear and suffer with sunglasses. Just something to think about. The colored/mirrored/iridescent look GREAT, but I just haven't had good luck with them.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

P

·
0 Posts
Stacia, if you'd still like to find a pair of sunglasses that would work painlessly with your helmet, try Killer Loop's "Rebellion" model. Before I got my dark visor, they were the only pair of shades that I had that would do the job inside my helmet. I think Ashford.com still carries that model, if you want to see what they look like.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that,
deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stacia, I totally agree about the blue IR visors. I have one on my helmet and the thing is trashed. I'm shocked that yours got that way from rain. I thought mine got ruined because of the cleaner I was using. About the glasses, I am lucky. I get some great safety glasses from work. They look like Oakleys, and they come either clear or a dark tint(and the best part is they are free). Something to think about when wearing glasses while riding. Make sure they are shatter proof. It would suck to lose an eye in a minor get-off.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Shoei line has 2 different smoke tints, 1 light tint & 1 dark tint. The lighter one is good for both day and night (To me it was anyway!), the Dark one is to dark for night driving, have it on my RF-800 and can't see clearly what the hell is in front of me in the night, but excellent for those sunny, bright days! :cool:

------------------

·
Registered
549 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hammer:
I'm shocked that yours got that way from rain. I thought mine got ruined because of the cleaner I was using. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hammer, we only assume mine was ruined by acid rain. I had had it for 2 years and it was near perfect and I wore it that one day in the mountains when the roads were damp. When we stopped for gas and to clean the helmets, there were small pock marks all over it and it just looked like it was from the "mist" hitting my shield. That's why we thought it was from the misty rain we had ridden in. I cleaned it often and was careful with it and knew it was close to perfect before that point. Anyway, it went into the trash cause it was hard to see out of after that.

Pete, I'm headed to the web site now to check out those glasses. Thanks! :D

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shoei makes several different visors for your helmet, as everyone here has pointed out, and if you are careful, you shouldn't have any problem with the iridium visors in blue, gold, or chrome... I've had the same blue iridium visor now for 6 years and haven't had a problem with the coating at all... I've used Windex (which you shouldn't), pledge, HONDA POLISH (works the BEST) and bonami glass stuff and haven't a mark on the mirror to speak off... Iridium doesn't scratch easiliy unless it is a cheap coating or you are ruff with your gear.... I can say this b/c I've spent several years selling moto gear and exspensive sunglasses at Sunglass Hut... I've seen it all baby..

If you get a mirrored shield, buy a can of HONDA POLISH at your olcal dealer... The stuff kicks ass and you can use it to clean your whole bike (not tires) and your lid.... It won't scratch your visor and it will help get the bugs off next time b/c it puts a protective coating on it....

Say it w/ me everyone....

HONDA POLISH!!

KIRSTY....

PS... If you have white rims, buy it now!!

------------------
"No, this isn't my boyfriend's bike..."
My web site www.geocities.com/hondahuney

1 - 8 of 8 Posts