Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I wash my helmet with a soft cloth dampened with warm diluted soapy water like Shoei says but what about the nice clear coat on my RF-800? How often should it be waxed? What kind of wax? What polishing devices should be used and with what kind of technique (swirls, straight pulls)?

------------------
Kyle S.
Got Milk?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use Plexus on helmet, it makes it shiny. What about inside of helmet????? In football we use to spray some disinfectant in helmets, but I don't know if it was something special or if it was just some toilet bowl cleaner :rolleyes:

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've always used normal car wax. Mothers three step car wax anyhow. Clean it, polish it, and wax it. That thin layer of wax helps your head slide when you wreck. :)

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also, didn't your helmet come with cleaning instructions? Motor Cyclist this month says you can submerg your helmet in mild soap and wash it. Then let it dry for three days upside down. Some helmets (cheaper ones) this is bad for, but a Shoei should be fine.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever:
What about inside of helmet?????

--------------------------------

Yes, I too am inquiring about how to remove or prevent the "funk" from INSIDE the helmet.

I ride everyday, and since it's so f**kin HOT right now I'm planning a vacation in HELL to cool off a little bit, my helmet and gloves are starting to get a little funky on the inside.

I tried Febreeze, but that only masks the odor for a day or so. I haven't looked to see if the linings come out of my lid (HJC LT-12), and even if they did, what would I do with them?

I'm sure there is something out there designed specifically for this purpose, and since it's for motorcycles it comes in a 4 oz. bottle and costs $49.95

------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"That ain't the way we do things round here boy"

·
Registered
88 Posts
And yet another part to the question---What do you clean your face shields with? I have the HJC CL-12 too, with a blue mirrored visor. The shield is about a year old, and is scratched to sh*t. I clean it with glass cleaner and suspect it is not good for the mirrored coating.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
16 Posts
I cleaned the inside of my Shoei in the bath tub with regular shampoo seeing that it's a good cleaner for sweat and scalp funk and mild enough not to hurt anything. I just made sure it was rinsed VERY thoroughly by soaking, then pressing water out of padding, and repeating until it was just water squeezing out. Then used a couple dry towels pressed into pads to wick up water and then I let it dry for 2 or 3 days (I forget)right side up with the front propped up a bit for airing out. It worked terrific.

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hammer:
And yet another part to the question---What do you clean your face shields with? I have the HJC CL-12 too, with a blue mirrored visor. The shield is about a year old, and is scratched to sh*t. I clean it with glass cleaner and suspect it is not good for the mirrored coating.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the blue mirrored finish on my visor is scratched too. i hear paper towels could be a probably, but i use linen. one problem is because stuff hits. another is because i don't always use the taps to open and close it, maybe...

also, if you go to an nhra event, don't take that visor. my friend's was ruined from the nitro.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tip of the day!!!!!
This one comes to us from my Dad...
To keep your helmet from "stinkin like Lincoln". keep a bar of Irish Spring soap UNDER the helmet when not in use...That's it!!Ive been doing it for about a month and a half and it REALLY works...PLUS...It doesn't burn your eyes or ruin the helmet...Give it a try!!!You'll be surprised!!!Jimmy G.......

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
For the inside: wash your hair often! :D

For the faceshield: hot, hot water until the bugs and stuff is off, then wiped with a lens cloth (like for camera lenses and stuff).

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
For the exterior, both the plastic and the
paint, I use SlipStream. It's AWESOME stuff.
It's wax and a cleaner in one. Safe on plastic
and painted surfaces. For the inside of the
helmet the bar of soap sounds like a good idea,
I use baby wipes to wipe down the cloth. That
keeps it fairly clean.

Chris

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quoted from August 2000's Motorcyclist
"We all fight the battle of the funky helmet. Some riders have gone as far as to put their helmets in the dishwasher.

Arai's Bruce porter doesn't recommend using the dishwasher because the detergent is too harsh and the water agitation is excessive for the helmet material. For a deep cleaning, you need to immerse the hlemt lining in water and mild soap. Porter recommends shampoo, while Mike Schield from Shoei recommends Woolite. Top-of-the-line helmets from Arai and Shoei have removable linings to facilitate cleaning, but you will need to submerge other helmets in water. A word of warning-while all Arai and Shoei helmets use adhesives designed to be immeresed in water, other brands may not. check with the manufacturer of your helmet before trying this method.

The key to cleaning a helmet is tto rinse the lining until all the soap is gone, even if that means rinsing the lining 5 or more times (Be patient). It's also important to let the lining dry completely. Porter said it takes 2 to 3 days for a street helmet to dry properly. Schield said helmets dry faster upside down. Both said not to use heat because that damages EPS helmet liners."

Hope this helped, but it seems like what you all said already.

P.S. there is also a ad for a product called Helmet care it's 5.99 for 200ml spray you can get it at (914)228-0145.

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts