Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use your helmet locks or just carry your helmet into the store, bank or wherever?

My old Kawasaki has the helmet locks set up so that the helmet will be resting on the hot sidepipes. Now I'm no thermodynamics expert, but I know that hot steel and thin plastic/fiberglass are probably not meant come into contact with each other.

The result is that everytime I get off the bike I'm lugging the damn helmet under my arm.

Do newer bikes have this problem too? I know most new ones have the exhaust on just one side, but there are some that have pipes on both sides, how are their helmet locks situated in relation to the pipes?

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have a $600+ Criville replica Shoei and there's no way I'm letting that thing sit on the helmet lock. On my F3, my old helmet would rest on the passenger peg. You never know when some idiot is going to come along and may move the helmet (thereby scratching it) maybe without meaning to. I think the helmet lock is better situated on my RR but I'm not going to try it unless I have to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I see a pattern

I buy fairly solid colored helmets, and don't mind a few scratches. If I'm planning on staying away from the bike for a while, I leave it in the lock. Otherwise, I just take it with me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I always take my helmet with me. There are too many people that will cut the strap on your helmet to take it if you leave it on your bike. Besides, there is no way that I am leaving my Arai Quantum/f at the mercy of whoever happens to walk by my bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use the helmet lock on my ZR750F2 along with a helmet lock extender. Allows me to use the lock when I have my saddlebags on, or if I carry a passenger and need to lock up their helmet as well. Wish the bike would have had two locks, but you can't have everything. :)

I use it all the time when I go to work. I usually take my old RF-R Shoei to work, so an additiona scratch or two won't hurt, but I have also used it with my new RF-800. Guess it is too convienient not to use, even if I get a scratch or two...

·
Registered
15 Posts
you could also use a soft helmet bag that you can fit under the seat. most have pockets to put gloves, extra visors, etc. as well. They are a little less cumbersome to carry than having a helmet under your arm.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Are you kidding me, I would always carry it with me. It's also a good way to find a nice looking future passenger. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Days of Old...

Remembered something I used to do in college:

The backpack I used had a snap for the top cover. I would loop the strap through the visor and just carry the backpack as normal with the helmet firmly secured.

The backpack came in handy most of the time too.

Xert

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That reminds me of a stupid thing I did in college. Coming back from class on my F3, I decided to do a quick wheelie before I got home. Had my backpack strapped to the passenger seat. Needless to say, books are heavy and the backpack slid off the back and lodged between the tail and the rear wheel. Luckily, I was only about a block from the house. Wore a nice hole through a couple of books! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
My bike has a huge problem with the position of the helmet lock. It's not on the bike, there isn't one. But that's OK by me, I never use one anyway. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
College Daze

Problem with bags on rear seat:

One got tangled with the rear tire and pitched a guy on campus. Seems risky unless you really latch it down.

Xert

·
Registered
33 Posts
The helmet locks on 2001 Kawi's (ninja 500 anyway) are no better. My helmet would have to rest on the exhaust, so I never use it. I borrowed my neighbor's helmet once, and it fit on the passenger peg, so I guess some work, some don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts