Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I have a HJC Cl-12, It doesn't have a chin thingymabobber and I now have a green liner. :) Is there something I can attach to the helmet ?

2. I have a neck, and it gets cold :) any good specialty scarfs out there or will a reg cotton do ??

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
How about one of those ninga mask looking things that will tuck into your jacket. I thought about getting one just to see if it helps with that darn helmet hair. I do know something that will keep your neck warm and be very fashionalbe at the same time, one of those whiplash neck braces. :D :D

------------------
John

http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/1144987
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings

·
Registered
517 Posts
You could probably buy a bacalava at any outdoor sporting goods place for cheap. Wool or thick cotton would work, but a synthetic material would be best, as it won't hold the moisture in.

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a racing "head sock" that I wear when Car Racing. It covers my head and neck too. It only has an opening for your eyes so everything stays warm on cold days. Simpson, Deist, Racer Wholesale and others have them for around $30.

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have a Chase Harper "breeze buster" that works great. It goes around your neck, and has a "bib" type front to stop the wind. For the really cold weather, I luckily have lots of ski gear that serves double-duty. For a base layer, get a t-neck and long underwear made of thermax or coolmax, NOT cotton. Cotton holds moisture(sweat) and makes you cold and clammy.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a fleece balaclava under my helmet when it gets really cold, say less than 40 degrees or so. Bought it for skiing, but it gets more use on the bike.

In the cold I tend to go with layers as well as using my Gericke jacket and pants with the thermoliner zipped in place. Add some good gloves and you can go out in surprisingly cold weather...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Fleece is good--just make sure the outside is made of a windproof material or it won't do much good.

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
good old fashion turtle neck. that's what i do.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
367 Posts
Does anybody use those fake turtlenecks (Dickies) anymore? I did waaayyy back in the 80's when I used to ride on the east coast, before I got smart and moved to TX. ;)

Have you ever been so cold that you had to stop at every rest area (S.C. has a bunch of them)just to use the hand dryer to warm your body? I was so cold one time that I had the rain suit on over my leathers and I had a newspaper, for extra insulation between the longjohns and flannel shirt. The outside temp was 34 degrees and @ 70 mph, it's Damn cold!!!! I also got good at grabbing the header and alternating hands on the throttle, too.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Something else my frineds and I used to do, is wear a bandana like a train robber, to help from fogging up the visor and keep the throat a little warmer. Plus, you can pack them in a jacket pocket and you'll always have it handy.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a polar-tech balaclava and it works great. Has anyone tried those things that attach to your helmet to protect your neck?

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
His_Suzuki ------

------ Todd when I read your 2nd post I had to take a 2nd look for I have been wearing bandannas for past 40 yrs of riding in cold weather--for a 2nd or two I wondered if it was my post!!. Also I am one that wears 'dickies' but do not know if they are avaliable anymore. Said dickie makes any T-shirt into a short sleeved turtle-neck & same with a long sleeved jersy with mogue neck into a turtle-neck.
Actually some of the snowmobile people have lovely neck muffs that take the place of a muffler (scarf in your words). Riding with Brit riders over here in Cdn I picked up the trick of a short towel to take the place of a muffler & it will not let rain go down the neck nor cold wind in around the neck of the jacket.
I rode up till is was below freezing temp a bit & even stayed that way through the day & as of Thursday I decided it was time to moth-ball the bikes till Spring as I saw sand/salt on the dry hwy (indicating it had enough snow on the prior day to call for salr/sand for the cage driver), then wet pavement & lastly was snow ---- time to turn around & hike it home.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The bandanna & short towl are so good that I carry them under the saddle of my two sportbikes along with a spare bandanna in my jacket ---- during the Spring & Autumn just to keep the cold out of around my neck & helmet. So simple & so inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
ACTUALLY the short towel is carried all year around, for it makes the ideal cloth when one is cleaning off the screen of the fairing or visor, of bugs, with whatever one uses as a liquid ---besides such short towels are simply tossed into the washing machine once they are a bit dirty & another one takes its place under the saddle -- besides said towel can be used to cleaning up any major mess on the bike. In actual fact two of mine actually went with the injured riders to the hospital to hold down the bleeding & YES they were returned with a 'thank you' & properly washed--so they are almost like a bit of a first-aid kit, not that I would recommend it, but when nothing else they are better then nothing.
Crumbs one time I ended up in the hospital with a woman's unuse sanitary napkin to help stop the bleeding around my neck (the wife/nurse of a fellow competitor that dressed me had to make do with what was avaliable) ---some fools strung some barbwire at neck level & would have come close to taking off my head, only I was standing up on a Trials iron when I took the barb wire in the chest & then up to the neck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts