Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to cycles, and so far I love them! I just bought a used 2002 Yamaha FZ1 this past Tuesday, and have put 600 miles on it so far! I chose the FZ1 because it's almost a dual purpose bike. I take my wife for rides, I like the upright position being available, and it still has plenty of power and 'fun factor'. This is my first bike, so hopefully I'll learn to handle it a little better. It has way too much power for me so far, but I'm a big guy, so I'll learn tricks on riding better. The bike came with a D & D exhaust, which I love. This forum has so far been very helpful and informative, and very fun to read. Also, I'm new to the terminology related to sportbikes, so if someone could explain what a "squid" is, it would be much appreciated. By the way, my bike is stock except for the exhaust, so hopefully you guys won't pick on me too much yet. :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings from Kenosha, WI. I am very new to these forums as well. Quite honestly, I've been most impressed with the helpfulness and curtousy that the members have shown. There are many things to learn and great stories to read in these pages. Welcome Indeed.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Welcome! :hello:

As far as what squid means, there are a number of "definitions." Some say it is from riders calling newbs "squirrely kids" which was shortened over the years. Some say it describes a riding style (very quick in straight lines but have to slow/stop to turn). Some say it means "Stupid, Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead." I'm sure there are others.

As far as who it applies to, it depends. Most commonly it is applied to riders who do not wear any form of gear (save for the oh so protective sunglasses, flip flops, shorts, and wife beater). A fully geared rider can also be a squid though, if they ride erratically and well beyond their skills simply to show off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts