Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin about getting my first Sportsbike (been riding a Honda magna for 5 years). I want something fun and comfortable in a streetbike, I'm not that small either however and was worried about comfort issues on these streetbikes. I like the Ninja's and the CBR's, just wondering what the thoughts of you bigger guys out there about these bikes in terms of riding comfort. I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Comfortable sportbikes

If you're looking for more comfort in your sportbike, you might want to stay away from the "racer-replica" bikes and look for the more moderate, comfortable sportbike choices. Honda's CBR 600F4i and Yamaha's YZF-600R come to mind. (Not the CBR 600RR, not the R6). Another really good bike would be Honda's VFR 800.

Not sure what size bike you're looking for, but the Suzuki Hayabusa and the Kawasaki ZX-14 would be good comfortable choices too.

Good used bikes would be the Honda CBR 1100XX and VFR 750/800 and Kawasaki's ZX-11 and ZZR-1200.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: Comfortable sportbikes

zxrider said:
Good used bikes would be the Honda CBR 1100XX and VFR 750/800 and Kawasaki's ZX-11 and ZZR-1200.
Or the ZZR-600/ZX-6 ('04 and earlier) if you want to go smaller. I'm 6'1" and about 230 and ride comfortably on my '00 ZX-6. A buddy, who is comparable in size, rides a '92 CBR-600F2 and it is also quite comfortable.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Don't worry to much about your size in comparison to the bike. Just look for comfort. My mechanic is 6'4 250lbs and rides a GSXR-750 and an R1 and says he is comfortable. It's personal prefferance, atleast thats what I think.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hell, im 6'0 and 255 lbs. I ride a gixxer 600 and im fine. At first I was a little uncomfortable, but after a few rides I was fine. Now I love the bike. Youll be fine.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'd look at 04-05 GSX-R 750's and 01+ GSX-R 1000's. Those are fun bikes, great handling, and you gotta love the looks. They also have a pretty comfy seat compared to other race replica bikes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
im 6'2 was about 227 (since ive been deployed ive lost 5 lbs woot, trying to get to 210 but none the less) and for comfort depending on how much you ride i would definatly reccomend an f4i. I ride for hrs with no problems good seating position etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well Im 6,4 205 and I ride a 06 600 gsxr and an 04 sv650s. The sv is much more comfortable but the gixxer is more fun. my opinion ( and I'm about to shock a few other suzuki lovers ) get a Honda, they are the most comfortable I've ridden.

·
Registered
515 Posts
6'0" and 200 lbs isn't that big dude. What are your plans for the bike? are you planning on doing the sport-touring route? or are you just looking for more power when riding through twisty roads? if you're answer was sport touring I'd suggest the VFR, if it's for the twisties then perhaps the honda f4i, Yamaha 600r or kawasaki zzr600 or 650r, or suzuki's sv650. Those choices are actually good if you plan on using your bike to commute as well.

In the end it's really what feels comfy for you so you should go to a dealership to try and sit on a bunch of bikes. Sportbikes have a more leaned position that I personally found uncomfortable at first just because my body wasn't used to it but now I find that aggressive stance quite comfy. If you can, bring a friend to help hold the bike up so you can get both your legs up and get a feel for the bike while it is upright and not on the kickstand. Good luck and keep us informed on what you decide :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for the tips guys, lots of info here. So yeah, the next bike is gonna be a "daily driver" type of thing, not getting into the whole trick riding thing (yet), so I think I'll take a look at the 600's or the VFR. I love the look of the VFRs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts