Sportbike World banner

Heated Grips - Suggestions

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  four_by_ken 
#1 ·
Even though it's 90+ degrees out today and no one wants to think about fall or cool nights :p I am currently having electronic cruise control (McCruise.com) installed on my bike and thought that since it's all tore apart right now...now would be a good time to install heated grips.

I have a 2006 VFR800 and have already installed HELI bars...

Looking for recommendations ==> I want ones that have a decent control/switch/housing (not a 3 way switch) and allow the amount of heat to be adjustable.

Thanks...JT :D

#3 ·
I have heated grips on my '04 vfr. I bought Dual Stars for around $30 and usually only use the High setting. Anything above 45deg and I don't use the heat anyways. Alot of people get a heat troller along with the grips to have fully adjustable heat.

One thing to consider on the vfr is using a relay (Powered by the left signal light) to bring power directly from the battery. This is due to a number of people frying the main wiring harness from pulling to much juice. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. If you haven't already found it, check out vfrdiscussion.com for the best site on the web for vfr's.

#4 ·
I use the dual star's as well but usually only on the low setting of the three way switch. You can get the heat troller for infinite settings. For $30 you cant go wrong, absolutely love mine. Plus you can put any type of grip over them. Highly recommended.

Dual Star's

#5 ·
Appreciate the suggestions...I think I'm going to check into the Dual Star's as a starting point :thumb:

#6 ·
ah ha... I thought it was Gary who said he had a set :thumb: just wasn't sure :p

I may even consider doin something like that for those darn cold ass mornins that turn into much nicer warmer days...

Judi if you end up getting those let me know and I'll get a set with you - we can split the shipping... :D

E.

#7 ·
Going to go to the local Honda shop to see if they can get me a Honda Grip Heater kit ==> sold in Europe:

Grip heater kit
- patented heat-adjustable grip heater
- integrated circuit to protect the battery from draining
08T50 MCW KIT

We'll see :dunno:

#8 ·
Just whatever you do make sure the power for the heating elements themselves comes directly from the battery. Otherwise you will develop major issues with the main wiring harness. Apparently Honda skimped on some of the wiring and with the 4 headlights etc. some of the wires are already at their limit.
Visit vfrdiscussion.com and do a search on vtec electrical issues to get more detailed info and learn about some easy fixes.

Avoid running the grips and high beams at the same time if at all possible.

Good luck, the heated grips are awesome and so easy to install that I'd put them on any and every bike from now on.

#9 ·
hoopster said:
Just whatever you do make sure the power for the heating elements themselves comes directly from the battery. Otherwise you will develop major issues with the main wiring harness. Apparently Honda skimped on some of the wiring and with the 4 headlights etc. some of the wires are already at their limit.
Visit vfrdiscussion.com and do a search on vtec electrical issues to get more detailed info and learn about some easy fixes.

Avoid running the grips and high beams at the same time if at all possible.

Good luck, the heated grips are awesome and so easy to install that I'd put them on any and every bike from now on.
Thanks for the heads up :thumb: I went on several VFR boards and most liked their Honda grips. Hot Grips were also liked with the optional heat troller.

#11 ·
Ryders_R_Us said:
Appreciate the suggestions...I think I'm going to check into the Dual Star's as a starting point :thumb:
Get 'em... you wont regret it for sure.

I use the low setting most the time... only high when it gets real cold... sub 45. Been down to into the 20s with the right gloves... all warm.

Just remember you still need to protect the backs of your fingers from the wind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.