Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its summer, but does anyone use electric clothing, vests,pants, to keep warm in the winter? I was thinking of getting some and wanted to get some reccomendations.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ugh, sorry, but even winter here wouldn't call for heated gear. I have heard of heated vests, but that doesn't help you much! Sorry. My recommendation. Move to Florida or Arizona or somewhere that's warm year round! :p

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i don't really need it here but in a couple of years I'll be moving a little further north.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I have talked to people that use the Widder(sp) vests and chaps. They all really liked them. I don't know anything about the other brands. I have thought about getting them myself. ;)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

P

·
0 Posts
JD, there's a company called Gerbing, or is it Gerbring, something like that; they are well known for their electric vests. Also, go to some of the sites listed in the SBW directory, like Newenough.com and Motorcycle Leather Exchange. I've seen electric vests listed there. And Aerostich (riderwearhouse.com) carries their own as well.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited July 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Widder vest and chaps. Everyone laughed at me at first, but I get the last laugh. They work well enough that they can allow you to ride comfortably in weather down to the 45-55 degree range. It also depends on wind protection and the layer on top of the garment. I even use the vest alone in early spring just to take the chill on early morning rides. The new styles even have sleeves. The gloves would be nice to have also.
I don't have the thermostat so it's either on or off. You can vary the heat by which side is closest to your body. One side is quilted, the other you can feel the wires that proved the heat. ALWAYS wear something between you and the garment and be careful tucking them into your boots. I have had to stop on freezing cold days to adjust the fit because of too much heat.
If you have a significant other that rides with you, buy them some too. They generally don't think it's funny that you are warm and they are miserable.
If you get caught out and the weather turns cold unexpectedly, newspapers wrapped around you under your leathers works pretty well. That rainsuit tucked in your tankbag will help insulate you too. I have had the 'lectric, leathers, newspapers and the rainsuit on before. Sometimes idiots don't know when to stop!

------------------
It went...Earth Sky Earth Sky Earth Ambulance.
Crusty

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yeah in my line of work I've been caught out in the weather seriously unprepared alot. Just suck it up and drive on! So I really don't like getting cold on the bike. Thanks for the reply. I don't need them here real bad but I will get some one day.
And thanks Pete, I've got the Aerostitch catologue.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

·
Registered
206 Posts
Every Jan and Feb I ride with just my jacket without the liner in it at temperatures as low as 50 (about as cold as it gets here :D). I suggest you get tougher skin. :) No really though, I hear great things about the Widder vest from friends that ride in colder climates.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts