Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, check out the article on New York Times online (free registration required) that talks about the coming of HUDs. I, for one, would like to have one, and at $250-$350, that's perfect Christmas gift range for my wife.

The questions in my mind will be compatibility and wind noise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I dont want to register to view the article. Is this the helmet attatchment for the sort of see through info screen in front of the visor, sort of like a helicoptor pilot would wear? Can you post a pic or the article?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can you sign in, copy the text, then paste it here? Think you can handle that? :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Elvis said:
Can you sign in, copy the text, then paste it here? Think you can handle that? :D
Copyright laws probably cant, or is registration free? If so, then just sign up and look at it. :thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I think a thread about this came out a while back. I think they are cool, but a bad idea. While the picture they show in your link shows it to only take a small portion of the visor, it's still an unnecessary distraction. People seem to have a hard enough time keeping the rubber side down as it is, no need to make it worse with distractions inside the helmet. Not everyone is cut out to be a fighter pilot. :2cents:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
In the event of a get-off, replacing a $400 helmet is bad enough, let alone another $250-$350 for replacing the smashed-to-bits-high-tech-whiz-bang-gizmo that probably caused the crash in the first place. :cool:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Ok, maybe it's not as expensive as I thought. Unless I read it wrong. The $250-$350 includes the whole unit, helmet and all right? that's not too bad, price wise.

Still a bad idea though, IMHO.:cool:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
slaintedan said:
Congratulations to Spicersh...SBW's newest post-whore!!! :twofinger
Yeah, only 1,053 more posts and I'll be caught up to you!:twofinger

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spicersh said:
I think a thread about this came out a while back.
I thought so too, but couldn't find one in the Search. And, yeah, I could cut and paste it, except that's illegal. Sorry, if you're really interested you'll have to create a login and all that crap. FWIW, I haven't gotten any spam as a result of my visits to that site in particular.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In honesty I would stay clear of such a helmet or change to my Shoei helmets. First of all my left eye will not focus worth a darn so I must count on my right eye to do all the work & when it comes to depth of preception it is a struggle.

If even a few small bugs are stuck on my visor (not splattered like mad) I still pull off the road, remove helmet & with proper cleaning liquid & soft cotten cloth wipe away what is distracting that one good eye.

Anyone that rides for a few yrs can pretty well tell what revs they are at, what speed & will also know what gear they are in. RARELY do I need to look down at the tach & speedo so in this way my eyes are kept on the road & ARE NOT DISTRACTED or bothered with number & such from the normal clocks on the bike.

Gimmicks like this & others are coming out fast & strong to even screen of what is behind you & so much more. It seems those most attracted to them are those that do not have a m/c yet or are very new to m/cing.

One big downfall is they get into the way of what is needed on a bike & in so many cases they are not mounted strongly & so in a simple spill they hit the pavement to be kissed good-by along with costs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will wait and reserve my judgement until I have tried this product.

I can say, however, that my car ('00 Grand Prix GTP) has a HUD on it and I can't imagine driving without it! Its just soooo nice to not have to glance down all the time to check the speedometer. In addition to speed, it displays fuel warning, blinkers, and a couple of other things that I can't think of.

Hopefully the motorcycle version will be decent... maybe they'll offer a TV version so we can watch stuff while commuting!

·
Registered
139 Posts
i was wondering when they would come out with something like this, i would deffenatly buy it, allows you to keep your eyes on the road and quick glances to see your speed would be awesom.

i have driven a car with an HUD and it's awesome

i'll deffenatly buy it

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to admit the system seems pretty cool, if any of you are interested in reading a related article check this one out in the seattle pi

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/151752_motionresearch10.html

From the looks of the pics the thing mounts on the outside of the helmet. therefore the little piece of shite better be secured with lots and lots of super glue or it might just fly off at 125mph. as state previously, if you ride enough you shouldn't realy need to look at your tach. its really all about feel. the only time i look down is when i pass a cop and say "oh shit....please dont turn around please dont turn around"

·
Registered
860 Posts
sorry boys im with smitty on this one.....having been on dirtbikes and qauds street bikes vs. cars....you can always tell whats going on due to having the power plant under your testicles...scary thought eh.....to get off topic a waverunner is even scarier a two strok and only thing between you and a con rod is foam...hmmm..anyway in a car its hard to hear when cruising b/c of sound deading materials

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Post whores.:mad: :twofinger

Anyway.........That does sound cool, but i don't see myself buying one. And seriously guys, it takes 12 seconds to sign up. Fake email, fake name, fake everything and you're in.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts