Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey... i was wondering what happens when your head gasket is blown? i was just curious because my engine is overheating and i was wondering if the gasket was blown, would it have any effect on it? let me know all you engine junkies..... thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Blown head gasket CBR 600 F4. Check your radiator & oil. If they are millky, more than than likly a leak somewherer. Try a compression & a leak down test.

Mole Baby:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the fan is workin fine... radiator, i added coolant, and the level is the same... so no problem there.. im thinkin if the pump is workin or not... yeah, when im on the throttle, it seems as if there really isn't enough power driven.... when i have my wrist back at a certain throttle angle, there is a very slight sound like it's lookin for power, but really hard to notice. i doubt it's anything with that. im just getting irritated because it is overheating and atter a stop from a semi-long ride, like 20 miles on the freeway, after the first light, it sputters and the temp goes to 3/4 and sometimes a little hotter... like 4/5... so what happens when the gasket is blown??? anyone?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Johnny.
Take off the radiator cap & watch the coolent to see if its
moving, Also your thermostat may not be working.

What happens with a blown headgaskit is you lose compression, coolant & oil mix together, thats why i suggested you check the collant & the oil.
Also on the mid 90 ninjas, the gauge read wrong. They needed a resitor installed inline to fix the prob.

Whens the last time you changed the coolant. It should be changed every 2 years.
Along with all major fulids.

Mole baby

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the coolant level should change even if the radiator isn't on??? the resevior is nearly the same level as it was b4.... thanks for you help mole

·
Registered
156 Posts
Johnnny
As the motor warms up, thermostat opens and the coolant circlates thru the motor. If the water pump is moving coolant thru the motor. Also coolant breaks down after time, and dosen't work as well as when new.
So the age of the coolant has alot to do with how it cools your bike.
Check if the coolant is moving thru the radiator. By starting the bike & warming it up. ( the specific gravity of coolant can be checked ) If it moves try changing the coolant ( a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water ). If not check the service manual on how to check the thermosat. If the thermostat opens, then crud could have blocked water jackets & passages.
If you know a motorhead now would be a good time to ask his help.
Trying to guesse without being there, i can only give you genaral ideas. Good luck with this one.

Mole Baby

·
Registered
230 Posts
Coolant doesn't burn

If a head gasket blows, it leaks coolant into the combustion chamber. This will make a light whiteish smoke under throttle. It also shits up the spark plugs and then you get pits on the valves, valve seats and top of the pistons. The engine loses compression and power and overheats frequently from the hot combustion gasses being forced into the cooling system. Theres several ways to check for this.

1)Cranking compression test
2)Engine cylinder leakdown test
3)Smoke from tailpipe
4)Crappy looking spark plugs
5)Bubbles in coolant while engine idles
6)Coolant level constantly needs topped off
7)Engine oil is white and milky looking
8)Oil sight glass has condensation *if bike has one*

Theres several reasons an engine will overheat but a head gasket is a top cause. If your head gasket is blown then get it fixed ASAP before major damage results. However if the bike just overheats at slower speeds or while at stoplights. I'd look more towards a faulty thermostat or waterpump impeller. But a slight leak in the head gasket will have the same effect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i just ordered a service manual and will recieve it on friday... i will check everything and let you guys know... i checked the oil window but there is condensation....i will check the spark plugs.. what should i look for?? im goin to change the oil too... so im just goin to check everything.. thanks for you help guys...

·
Registered
230 Posts
The plugs will be either soaked with sloppy black grunge, or covered in some nasty brown crud. Just sniff it *yes i'm seroius* and make sure it's not excess gas. If the plugs are wet and they don't smell like raw fuel, then chances are there soaked in coolant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts