Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in our new park we are next to a bunch of suthern boys, great guys, even better cooks. But they do give me a hard time about my "lawnmower". Does harley make anything stock that can outperform a new 600? both on the strip and in the hills?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The HD "V-rod" was Harleys attempt at making a bike that could outperform a sportbike - as far as i know, it still can't get the job done.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
drumtap600RR said:
The HD "V-rod" was Harleys attempt at making a bike that could outperform a sportbike - as far as i know, it still can't get the job done.
I'm sure I saw one overtake a scooter the other day! :D

I've embarrassed several HD's on our ZZR 250.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
drumtap600RR said:
I don't think even Harley thought they could outperform a sportbike with a cruiser. The V-Rod actually holds its own very well in the cruiser world though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The V-Rod was not intended to take on a sportbike.

However, the version "StreetRod" is a very capable bike, but still not intended to outperform a rocket.

If Harley wanted to compete in the sportbike market, they would.
Or actaully give Erik Buell something other than the Sportster engine platform to work with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HD's got nothing in there lineup that would still be in front of your F4 after 30mph. Their big bore cruisers and the V-rod have a load of torque and jump off the line pretty well, but you'll be passing them before you get to 5k rpm.

I have an 82 yamaha XJ650 (maxim, not seca) that will get up and run with or in front of any stock Harley with the exception of the V-rod and the previously mentioned Destroyer.

A new 600 is no contest. An R bike is almost comical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
night rod

My in laws are coming to visit this week and my father in law rented a night rod. I guess I'll see how it compares to my 636. He said it had like 120hp but it also weighs 600 lbs.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I was under the impression that a destroyer will whip a 600 on the strip.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Despite what they say, it does have brake lights and blinkers and headlight mounting bracket, which leads me to believe that it could be a streetbike. All it has to do is pass emission I think, and it's a 4-stroke. It easily whips 600s and 750s in 1/4 mile drag. Consider all the choppers out there are illegal for street, but once registered, the DMV doesn't give a hoot.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
Does harley make anything stock that can outperform a new 600? both on the strip and in the hills?
I dont see anything about street legal in thte question. So yeah, HD make the destroyer which will take a 600 (half the displacement) on the strip, but would loose miserably in the twisties, discounting rider skill. I'm so impressed, I think I'm gonna send them a cookie

·
Registered
5 Posts
well damn if street legal doesn't matter... nasa makes this ship call the space shuttle that would probably blow away that HD destroyer... if it could ride strait up... i think the wheelie bar might prevent that though... damn hd and there wheelie bar...

I'm just saying what is the point in comparing a bike that was made for dragging to a sportbike... does HD make a street bike that can keep up with any new 600?

Maybe someone can explain to me why they don't... seems to me there would be a huge market for an american made bike that had the performance and handling of a sportbike.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
636dood said:
Maybe someone can explain to me why they don't... seems to me there would be a huge market for an american made bike that had the performance and handling of a sportbike.
Cause they might have to hire engineers. We are talking about a company thats using an engine developed in the 80's. Who run the same models for over 10 years. What do you expect?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hmm i guess i can kinda see that... maybe they should outsource thier engineering to india... haha thats what my company does... to your point though.. the ninja 250 has been in production for over 20 years and the design has pretty much not changed at all.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I was watching the science channel yesterday and they were doing the making of the V-Rod. From what the HD managers were saying, they decided to develope a bike that would sell well to the new age of riders who care more about speed than looks (which pissed me off, because the V-Rod looks horrible, but they think it looks better than a SB). Anyways, they wanted it to sell well and be semi competetive with sportbikes and appeal to sportbike riders. It came with a V-twin that put out 115 HP and weighed around 500lbs. There is no way it could take a sportbike, no even my 97 750. I don't know about the "destroyer" though. Whats the displacement on the engine? If its like most harleys, the displacement would put it up with the litre bikes, so beating out a 750 shouldn't be the real issue, it would be beating out the litres am I right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i guess since most haley's just don't look good to me I don' t even understand why someone would want a harley. I mean with the reputation they have for being unreliable and overpriced and slow why buy a bike that costs 3 times as much when what you are getting is something a lot less. They really must be short on engineers i heard that porche designed the vrod engine. Jeez.. what are they doing over there at harley headquarters??

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Porche did not design that engine. Here is what happened. When searching for an engine for the V-rod, harley went to the VF1000R, which they made 2 of (if I'm not mistaken) and used to race it in AMA back in the day. During those racing years, porche did optimize the engine (as in tuned, not designed from scratch). The V-rod engine is based upon the VF1000 powerplant, but retuned for street duties. So saying that porche developed the engine is a bit of a stretch.

The reason harley doesnt make sportbikes, is because, well, they dont need to. After all, they are actually selling those overprices pieces of crap, and they are selling fairly well. Besides, they risk alienating their base with a sport bike. You know how many harley owners got pissed about a watercooled bike?

BTW, I should be rebuilding an 883 motor soon. Expect to hear some horror stories

1 - 20 of 53 Posts