Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have wanted to ride for a long time and finally this first week of October took the "Rider's Edge" new rider course at my local Harley dealership, then went on and got my endorsement on my license. Yah for me.

So anyways, i was pretty deadset on getting a HOG, even had pciked the model i wanted. Then I started thinking, all my friends have sportbikes, and I'm young and i'll have years to get a Harley, why not have fun now? Presto, I want a Sportbike.

I pull into a local dealership, its an all-manufacturer kind, and they have dozens of different models to choose from. After telling my salesman i come with a pre-approval letter from my bank, he quickly proceeds to an 06'Gsxr1000, its mostly grey, and looks sleek as hell. I get throw a leg over the bike. Hmmm. i'm not liking this too much, the lean for me is very aggressive, i'm just uncomfortable, i'm a big guy, i'm stand an average 5'10, however i weigh 250. I'm a powerlifter, so its mostly upper body. My salesman is droning on about something, i dont blame him though, hes just doing his job. I ask if there is a bike with no so much forward lean. Hes walks me over to a bike thats mainly blue, and looks big as hell. It has some type of Jap writing on the front sides...my thoughts are damn, nice bike. He tells to hop on. I do so, and hey! it fits pretty nice, i'm still leaning, but hell i expected that, its not a crusier of course. My salesman tells me its a Suzuki Hayabusa....My eyebrow raises..that sounds familar. oh yeah, just the fastest production bike made. Gee, Jeff, this is a great starter bike. sigh.

But hell I like the bike, its big and beefy, just like me! i'm a smart cookie, not irresponsible, i'll respect the power untill I master the big bike. I'm gonna think about it some more.

I go to leave, the salesman wonders if he can get me to buy today!!! Sigh, why do they always do this? I say no, i have to look insurance costs, do some more research on it..etec.etc...i take a couple more steps toward the door, fully intent on walking out...."What about I throw in a free helmet?" a free helmet? Hmmm, the bike is $11,700 and hes talking about a free helmet....Nah I say, I figure hes finally through, and as i Reach the door, he calls out....."You buy today and i'll take TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS off the price." Hello, that gets my attention.
A brand new Hayabusa for $9700? Yeah that did it for me. About an hour and a half later, I'm the proud new owner of a red and black 2006 Suzuki 1300gsxr Hayabusa. Nice. (oh, and i got that free helmet too!)

Umm..now the ride home..well, thats a different story...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You seem like a great guy. So I'll just say this concerning your health. Get a beater bike, ninja 250/500 for $1k-2k, ride it for at least 3 months, wherever you can, whenever you can, more the better. Then sell the bike and return to Busa. No doubt some people started on this bike, while some others have gotten seriously injured, and not just because of bad judgements. As a well-wisher, I would seriously consider going that route, no real rider will think less of you. And as you said, you're young, so certainly you have years of big power riding ahead of you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That sounds like the way to go... Great deal on the 'busa but would be a shame to lay it down learning to ride. Go grab a cheapy to beat up on for a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If we've said it once, we've said it a dozen times. Don't buy too powerfull a bike for your first bike. I bought a 600 for my first bike, which I admit was probably a bit too powerfull for my first bike. It's taken some getting used to but I've been able to get the hang of it after only driving it on the local twisties. Good news is that at least it was used so it won't hurt too bad when I drop it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Busa for a first bike? ANd i thought i was crazy for hoppin on a 600 as my first (and i was as the scars i bear remind me). Sounds like a death wish to me. Even if you do baby it, one twist of the throttle in to low a gear and you better be holding on tight or its gonna hurt. I'm not one to be giving advice but come on, Do you think it would be smart to buy a Z06 as your first car and learn in it? I dont.:2cents:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey people, thanks for the replies.

sorry I havent told you about the ride home, i've been busy actually riding as much as i can before having to put it in winter storage.

Ya know, I was kinda kidding when I implied that somthing "happened" on the way home.

I understand where everybody is coming from when saying its not a good first bike. Of course its not, I agree. But i'm not reckless eithier. I've got 400 miles on it so far and no troubles...I have no desire to ride this bike like a bat outta hell. Like I said before, i like the feel of this bike, it fits me in my opinion.

Yeah, And i did sit on a coupel very small bikes, the ninja 250 and another model...felt like i was on a damn toddlers bike. Thats not an insult, please dont take it as such. I'm just a big guy.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think 2 grand off a brand new bike, whatever model would bring me right back into teh dealership. As for starting big, there are lots of threads about why its a bad choice, but again I don't blame you because I was going to get a 1000, I just decided I am gonna go to a 600. Be careful have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JeffNights said:

Yeah, And i did sit on a coupel very small bikes, the ninja 250 and another model...felt like i was on a damn toddlers bike. Thats not an insult, please dont take it as such. I'm just a big guy.
Wow. I only have been riding 13months so I no seasoned veteran to be talking with years of experience. But I can see how you like the large feel of the busa but getting a cheap bike would really not be a bad idea. You can focus more on learning and less on your 2wheeled rocket. Sure you can get away with only riding that bike but that is a rather extreme choice. I am 6,1 220lbs and I can ride a Ninja 250 just fine, I love my 2nd bike Ninja 250. Its so easy to throw around and very forgiving. Finding a old cheaper 1k bike like others have said can easily be resold 6months later. Yes of course it feels like a toddlers bike next to a Busa. A Miata to a Viper would feel like a toddlers car too.

That is one smoking price you got and I am happy for you. Very nice ride, just be careful and always focus on your riding. Don't day dream about anything, read as much as you can, grab riding books that explain correct techniques to help aid you. Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
316 Posts
fuck all of these nay sayers .. get your self a jet kit toss a 15 to 20 shot of nos up under that bad boy crack the trottle ballz to the wall baby :twofinger

by the way there is no need for a helmet either those are over - RATED :squid:

ROTFLMAO :D

on a serious note we are mostly experience crotch rocket riders on this site and we have all heard the same shyt from nubes who want to gain street credit without earing it by actually aquiring the skillz the be a respected rider; instead they go out an buy the biggest and the fastest just so they can say DUH I GOT A BUSA.

You may have others believe you will not crack that trottle but I wasn't born yesterday everybody cracks the trottle son and if you think you wont you are lying to yourself.

I am not hatin do you, but like I said this story I have heard b-4 and the ending in never good. Be Safe :squid:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yes...I am going to get flamed...but here goes.

IF you are responsible about it you can handle a busa for your "first bike". But it all depends on who you are, your background and how well you can keep your ego in check. With a smooth throttle hand and in the lower RPM range they really are big pussycats.

That being said, a handful of throttle in 1st or 2nd gear will have you looking at the sky.

One word of warning, don't forget it. On a busa, when you are going fast, sometimes you are going faster than it "feels" like you are going. Be weary. In 3rd gear the difference between 80 and 130 is like 4 seconds.

Be careful man...and congrats...they are great bikes. Try these mods...

Double Bubble windscreen.
heli bar risers.
TLR footpegs.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Bluto said:
Yes...I am going to get flamed...but here goes.

IF you are responsible about it you can handle a busa for your "first bike". But it all depends on who you are, your background and how well you can keep your ego in check. With a smooth throttle hand and in the lower RPM range they really are big pussycats.

That being said, a handful of throttle in 1st or 2nd gear will have you looking at the sky.

One word of warning, don't forget it. On a busa, when you are going fast, sometimes you are going faster than it "feels" like you are going. Be weary. In 3rd gear the difference between 80 and 130 is like 4 seconds.

Be careful man...and congrats...they are great bikes. Try these mods...

Double Bubble windscreen.
heli bar risers.
TLR footpegs.
Man you are always going faster than you think on any bike.

·
Registered
471 Posts
congrats on the bike. the only bit of advice i can give you is be *extra* careful for quite sometime *after* you get comfortable with the bike. perhaps even MORE careful than you are now. Once you get over the intial intimidation of learning to ride, some things start to become second nature. as such, you let your guard down a bit...and as soon as your guard goes down inexperience can bubble to surface in a very fast a dramatic ways.

-sedition

1 - 18 of 18 Posts