Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I think we've covered the fact that I dig Ducati's right?...RIGHT!

Here's my problem...

I'm scanning the "classified" section of this site and I come across the ad for a Triumph 595. Here we go...Single sided swingarm. Sensual lines. Good HP. Fat rear tire... UNDER $6000 bucks!

O.K. This bike is a theft recovery, but it has custom paint and other aftermarket goodies! That's WAY more affordable than the used Ducati's I've been looking at! Let's add $1,000 for a clean title without hi-perf. extras. Say $7,000. The used 916s I've seen go for 8,500 to 11,000 and up.

This is painful, and I REALLY want a Ducati more than any other bike. But I'm being tempted..

Somebody talk me out of it!

Oh yeah! I just got back from Katana Bashing over in the Suzuki forum, so I'm really down on my bike right now!

------------------
I WILL have a Ducati!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
The first generation T595 is a pig. Check out the specs elsewhere on the Internet. Any Ducati will handle better. For the price of that used junker you can buy yourself a new M750 and have something that is more comfortable, turns quicker, gets better mileage, and has all the power you need on the street. If it doesn't, you can add aftermarket carbs, jet kit and exhaust.

I had my wife's M750 on the Streets of Willows recently and had no prblems keeping up with most of the 600cc sport bikes. This is more a testament to the Ducati's handling the tight layout of the track than it is to my riding abilities.

For a bit more than the used T595 you can get a new Sprint RS or a Ducati 750SS and have something that handles and runs with the big dogs on the street.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
I wouldn't say a 750SS will run with the big dogs. My 900 tops out on the speedo at @148mph. It will pull though! I was tired of my 92 F2, needed a little more ummphh, and a buddy who sold ducs said his 900 was the way to go. The 750 just didn't quit have it. Now I agree. But, I can run down my buddy on a zx11 in the turns. Of course, I watch him pull away when the road straightens back out. The triumph looks nice but... Ask colin n the triumph section how he likes his. Go with the duc!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
So your 900ss tops out at an indicated 148. Large deal. Notice I said the 750ss will run with the big dogs "on the street." Any squid can go fast in a straight line, but it takes a rider to make it through the corners. ;)

My wife's M750 has all the power anyone needs, as opposed to wants, on the street. Notice I ride somthing a bit more powerful. :D

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by photobug:
The first generation T595 is a pig. Check out the specs elsewhere on the Internet. Any Ducati will handle better. For the price of that used junker you can buy yourself a new M750 and have something that is more comfortable, turns quicker, gets better mileage, and has all the power you need on the street. If it doesn't, you can add aftermarket carbs, jet kit and exhaust.

I had my wife's M750 on the Streets of Willows recently and had no prblems keeping up with most of the 600cc sport bikes. This is more a testament to the Ducati's handling the tight layout of the track than it is to my riding abilities.

For a bit more than the used T595 you can get a new Sprint RS or a Ducati 750SS and have something that handles and runs with the big dogs on the street.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately you do not know what you are talking about!! Yet you're giving this person advice.

The Daytona he's talking about is no pig, I assure you that. It's a friend of mines and I have personally put a couple of thousand miles on riding with it and on it this year. It's also no junker, it was a theft recovery, pretty much the go fast parts were stolen on it and it was abandoned, he replaced it with what it has now(and has had for two years) and rode it for two summers, TROUBLE FREE I might add! The paint is professional quality and you will not see another orange like this, there's only two in existance, both done by this owner. It's a sharp bike and will keep up and has kept up with a '00TLR, RC51, '97 Gixxer750(that he also redid) and my VFR among others. It will trounce the VFR and your Sprint in a heartbeat. Hell my VFR will trounce your Triumph, barring equal riders. Isn't it about the rider and not the bike anyways?

I'll bet you no 750SS will beat it, unless extremely modified!! And especially your pig of a Sprint!! I don't understand how you could recommend your Sprint and not a VFR?? The VFR does everything better than Sprint and actually looks good to boot. :D

Just sounds like your advice is a tad flawed, but you're entitled to your opinion I guess... Though you know nothing about the bike he asked about, yet you decided to "impress" us with your knowledge on the subject. The only thing you suceeded in doing is showing us your lack of it.

Ian


------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

[This message has been edited by 2000VFR (edited October 17, 2000).]
 
G

·
I didn't think that there was much difference between the first T595 and the current 955i, except for the name. Now, if you're talking about the earlier generation of Triumph sportbikes, like the Daytona 900 and 1200, those are totally different animals.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited October 17, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Yup Pete, exactly. The T595 and 955i are the same bike except maybe minor cosmetic differences if any.

Like the thread in the Triumph section, look for yourself and tell me where it looks abused or wrecked?
http://www.virtualimage.com/t595/

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

[This message has been edited by 2000VFR (edited October 17, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000VFR:
Unfortunately you do not know what you are talking about!! Yet you're giving this person advice.

I'll bet you no 750SS will beat it, unless extremely modified!! And especially your pig of a Sprint!! I don't understand how you could recommend your Sprint and not a VFR?? The VFR does everything better than Sprint and actually looks good to boot. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian, he asked us to talk him out of it, so I ran with his request. No offense meant, and I especially did not mean to diss a bike one of your friends owns. You know more about this bike than do I, so I will defer to your experience and recant my remarks.

Notice the Ducati belongs to my wife and I own the Triumph. It seems to me that CSS996 has his heart set on a Ducati and nothing else is going to satisfy him. Doesn't really matter if that something else is as good or better, if it doesn't look like a Duc, quack like a Duc, and handle like a Duc, it ain't a Duc.

And you have the audacity to call my Sprint RS a pig? How dare you! Thems fightin' words in Texas. Fortunately, I moved to California and the Texas attitude is wearing off. ;)

I hereby apologize for offending you and offer my hand in peace. If you ever make it out this way (Laguna Seca maybe?) I'll provide the Scotch and we can laugh about this. OK?

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by photobug:
Ian, he asked us to talk him out of it, so I ran with his request. No offense meant, and I especially did not mean to diss a bike one of your friends owns. You know more about this bike than do I, so I will defer to your experience and recant my remarks.

Notice the Ducati belongs to my wife and I own the Triumph. It seems to me that CSS996 has his heart set on a Ducati and nothing else is going to satisfy him. Doesn't really matter if that something else is as good or better, if it doesn't look like a Duc, quack like a Duc, and handle like a Duc, it ain't a Duc.

And you have the audacity to call my Sprint RS a pig? How dare you! Thems fightin' words in Texas. Fortunately, I moved to California and the Texas attitude is wearing off. ;)

I hereby apologize for offending you and offer my hand in peace. If you ever make it out this way (Laguna Seca maybe?) I'll provide the Scotch and we can laugh about this. OK?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I must applaud your attitude. It's quite refreshing on this and other message boards I frequent to hear your attitude on things. I should also apologize for flying off the way I did.

I guess being that I've spent the summer riding that bike and have felt and seen what it can do your comments were the farthest from the truth and I wanted to correct you but did so in a very unproductive way. I really love that bike and would buy it immediately, but it's proven to be too impractical for me, like a duc.

Sorry about the pig comment also, but considering I also own a pig I figured I can rack on other pig owners and bond with them. :)

Anyway if he's truly interested in the bike I would recommend getting in touch with the owner and just talk with him about it. The bike has character few bikes can compete with, even though it might lack peformance, and that's a trait I look for as I think others do. Not only that but this guy eats, breathes and lives bikes and maybe can share some knowledge. He's built more bikes than we have probably owned.

His name is Rich and can be reached at [email protected]

And I would certainly sit down with you with a drink and talk bikes anytime. :)

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR800

TBR Full CF High Mount Exhaust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Know what? You guys are allright! Man enough to state your opinion, but big enough to cool down afterwards. Right on! I'd like to check the Triumph out, but it's 3,000 miles away and all I've got is my Katana (which I LOVE...not!) and about a grand. If Rich wants to ride it half way to Colorado and trade, I'll do it! But if he does, He's insane!

------------------
I WILL have a Ducati!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top