Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone road on the metzler mez4's?? I am thinking about tryN a set out. Right now I am running the sportec 1's and love them.........

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Z4 is the stock SV tire and I’ve got a couple SVs that I bought new, so yes, I’ve ridden on them. I’ve also used Sportecs, love ‘em. The Z4 is more a sport-touring tire, a little harder, longer wearing rubber compound but less grip than an all out sport tire like the Sportec.

If you love the Sportec why are you looking at other tires and why the Z4? A popular combination is a Bridgestone BT010 front (almost as sticky as a Sportec) and BT020 rear (almost as long wearing as a Z4) but relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I run Metzelers on my bikes with a few exceptions. I am running an MEZ4 on the rear and an ME Z3 (as I recall) on the front. Like one of the other fellas said, you can run the harder compound on the rear to lengthen tire life and a softer one on the front.

I prefer Metzeler, have not been unhappy with any of their tires. I hear that Brigestone 010 is a good tire, but I had not so good experience with Bridgestone so I steer clear of them now.

If you buy Dunlop, remember, it is Goodyear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rocks. That is my best description. Well no not really. For as long as the suckers have lasted they seem to grip half way good. My rear has over 6k on it and i've done numerous burn outs. I still have plenty of tread left. I hear the rear is usually 8-10k and the front goes around 10-12k.

But i can slide it out fairly easy. I have never road track but i have only ever touched a foot down with these tires once and both the front and rear let go. Not a pleasent feeling though i did save the slide.

I am replaceing these tires in 2 weeks and i'm trying piolit sports. I'm going to try some track this year and want something stickyer.

Interesting note. At the drag strip. My buddies 207 were slipping and mine weren't. Neither of us did burn outs but when looking at the tires his were picking up more grit than mine and with that sticky compound they put down at the strip mine actually did better.

I'm not going to run these tires again. Unless you put a lot of miles on in a short time i wouldn't get them. You'll be stuck with them for a while.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As svBob said, they come stock on SV650's through '02. I believe the '03s will come with something a little stickier. The Mez4's aren't confidence inspiring in the corners especially in the cold/wet, but they do wear well (like wood). They are also relatively expensive, I believe. You can do better if you want sticky. What to get for your bike is a bigger question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts