Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know that whenever you get your first bike you should expect to crash, but, my neighbor didnt wait any longer than getting it off of the trailer. He decided to drive it up the road and im guessing the throttle got hung but im not sure, anyways all of his neighbors got to see him flying through everyones yard kicking up grass and finally running through a garage door at the end of the cultisac. About 20 min later the paramedics came through. He had road rash and a broken colar bone.

The moral of the story is....if he wouldnt have bought a cruiser the stupid thing wouldnt have set itself and he would have crashed a brand new bike.

It was pretty amazing to watch. :D

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
750babe said:
... About 20 min later the paramedics came through. He had road rash and a broken colar bone.
I've noticed this, too.:thumb:

All crashes seem to happen within that 1/2 hour window before the paramedics arrive. If we could just get their schedule and planned route ahead of time, we could make sure not to be there in that time frame. Incident avoided!:thumbs2:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Re: Re: harleys are bad

Dad said:
I've noticed this, too.:thumb:

All crashes seem to happen within that 1/2 hour window before the paramedics arrive. If we could just get their schedule and planned route ahead of time, we could make sure not to be there in that time frame. Incident avoided!:thumbs2:
This has "government study" written all over it.

Studies show that an overwhelming majority of serious automotive accidents occur between 10-30 minutes prior to medical personnel arrival. Further study is needed to put together a team to form a committee to assign a task force to determine a path forward.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Re: Re: Re: harleys are bad

spicersh said:
This has "government study" written all over it.
Maybe we could get a "no bid" contract.:thumb: We already have a handle on the issue.:)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
LOL... as much as I hate harleys, why was it the fault of the bike? I bet $10 that there was nothing wrong with the throtlte and he simply got scared and forgot to close the throttle. Besides, there is a kill switch on the bars, for that very reason.
I guess the only flaw of HD pin pointed here is that they tend to attract bad riders.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I agree with Vash. As a total newbie he froze to the throttle that is pretty well it. Why pick on a specific make of a bike? Why not a Duke, one of the Jpn makes or such? Mind you it has happend before with newbies on any make of bike.

Also the title of this thread being "harleys are bad" is close to saying one wants to start a Harley-Davidson war which is so foolish.

I have riden HD, Indian, Brit, & other European bikes in the past & presently own bikes made in Jpn.

·
Registered
96 Posts
750babe said:

The moral of the story is....if he wouldnt have bought a cruiser the stupid thing wouldnt have set itself and he would have crashed a brand new bike.
I'm sorry but I have no idea what "set itself and he would have crashed a brand new bike" means.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: harleys are bad

Dad said:
Maybe we could get a "no bid" contract.:thumb: We already have a handle on the issue.:)
You and sh are waaaaaayyyy off base here. We must first start with a special council and order a grand jury to be called. Then, after all the indictments have come about, we can begin the doling out of public funds to political buddies. First things first, please :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: harleys are bad

kanwisch said:
You and sh are waaaaaayyyy off base here. We must first start with a special council and order a grand jury to be called. Then, after all the indictments have come about, we can begin the doling out of public funds to political buddies. First things first, please :)
I was going to take the "minority contractor" approach. :thumb:

You head down to DC and get everything set up. I'll head to Fairbanks and take care of the light work. There must be a few Alaskan natives around who haven't already been gobbled up in the scam, working on Katrina contracts, headquartered in DC, without a Native American in sight.:eek: :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Smitty said:
I agree with Vash. As a total newbie he froze to the throttle that is pretty well it. Why pick on a specific make of a bike? Why not a Duke, one of the Jpn makes or such? Mind you it has happend before with newbies on any make of bike.
+1 i've freaked out before and actually put more throttle when i should have just let go when i first started. :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
GRASPING the slippery twist-grip throttle, to a newbike would frighten the 'ell out of him & if the bike moved forward a few inches the throttle would start to rev up the engine especailly if he had dropped the clutch. The obviouse would have even happend on a little dinky m/c. Possibly not ending in death, but a pretty hairy incident.

I think so many of us saw the video of a chap on a totally new Suzuki SV-650 as the bike jerked forward & across the street to hit the curb, over curb & up the park grounds, fortunately no homes there, & then the fixation on the tree a bit farther along & lower down to where the bike & the rider hit the tree all in first gear ----------was not even a Harley!!!!!!!

In the winter time this is snowmobile terrain. With m/cs in the same shop many thought of or did buy a m/c & all wanted a throttle like the thumb one used on snowmobiles as they did not feel safe on the crazy twist grip throttle. We were able to talk them out of damanding the change & after a while they realized how wrong they were.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts