1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you haven't already seen it, check it out

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/12july01hdvrod.html

Opinions?

I'm not much into cruisers but I think this one has the sexiest lines I've seen. Everything on it flows, it's a piece of art. Dual overhead cams, liquid cooled, FI, four valve heads, and they're spinning it to 9000RPM. It's a complete departure from traditional Harley that has the masses crying foul. But I think it's great.

Two thumbs up for Harley for taking a chance. I hope they are rewarded for it. I think there are enough dentists and lawyers buying Harleys now that don't want to spend hours working on their shovelhead or panhead or..... I think they'll sell really well.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't linke the design, but the engine isn't bad... Pete, I think I see your new bike. *RUB* !

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been a die hard Harley nut since I was 15 and up until a couple of years ago (I'm 22 now) I never dreamed of owning a Japanese crotch rocket. I've changed my mind because I developed a need for speed in a bad way starting with my Mustang. So obviously sick fast motorcycles were the next step. I still like Harley's but thought they were kind of ancient and now with this new engine I like Harley's more all over again. I think it has sweet lines and the new engine is the new face of Harley in the coming years in my opinion, same as the 4.6L modular engine in the new Mustangs. Pushrods are dead and it's about time these American auto/cycle companies are getting out of the dark ages of the internal combustion engine. It's die hard Harley guys and drag racers that refuse to see the advantages of these newer engine designs.

Beau

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm hopeing to see this motor in a new Buell, I have no use for a motorcycle with a 60 something inch wheel base and a 650 pound dry weight.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It's still gonna be an overpriced bike!! Techno dinosaur......
The Honda or Yamaha version of this "new" craze are better bargains!!

JIM

·
Registered
35 Posts
Harley's are in high demand. I don't know if it's still true but there used to be a three year waiting list for a new one. I think that is true anyway. There is nothing else like a Harley either. The demand, uniqueness (is that a word?) and the name plate on the tanks costs the money admitedly but imported cruisers aren't too much less for a comparable bike are they? I've never inquired, I wouldn't know.

Beau

·
Registered
35 Posts
I sit corrected, the 2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior looks a heeell of a lot like a Harley and is around 12 grand when a comparable Harley is around 16 grand. Now that is a sweet bike, uh, not the Harley.

Beau

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
congo_grey said:
...just give me the Honda VTX 1800.
I agree

BTW speedfreak, where can I get a comparable Harley to the Yamaha Warrior or VTX for $16K? A totally stock FatBoy is over $15K before you add tax, bs, and add ons :eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a Honda fan too. But they cut too many corners on the VTX. Kind of pissed me off. Did you know the headlight nacelle is plastic? How about those nice pressed seams on the bottom of the gas tank? I'm also looking at a picture of the Warrior right now, and it looks like shit in comparison. My only complaints against Harley have always been the ancient technology and some of the people that ride them (which isn't Harley's fault). If the VROD proves reliable and as refined as it looks, the VTX and Warrior are not even on the same level. They are throw aways compared to art.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of a Dyna model from Harley which if I remember right start around 16K. Either a Dyna or a SoftTail. And another thing Harley's have going for them is the degree of customization that can be done to one. There is absolutely nothing that you absolutely have to leave stock. Stretched and raked frames, custom swing arms, custom tanks and fenders, bars, forks, seats and whatever else you can think of for aesthetic mods. And the engines have a huge array of mods to be done to them also and with the new engine in the VROD these hot street machines will probably be faster than any Harley ever built. Did you know you can get a turbo charger or a supercharger for a Harley? I guess a Harley is to the motorcycle world what the imports are to the car scene currently. Anything can and has been done to those cars, however they still arent' capable of the speed and handling of a V8 Mustang with a built suspension and a turbo for probably comparable money. That's what I was going to do before I decided on getting a bike. I was going to put 20K into my engine, tranny, rearend and frame stiffening. I was going to have an 800+/- HP turbo charged 306in engine built for it. Of course the suspension would also be modded to handle this power but only in a straight line. BTW, the car would run mid 9's at 150mph or so if I did go through with this but seeing as how I'm in college that is a big bill to flip. So sportbike it is.

Beau

Sorry that was so long.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The Harley Davison website has all kind of info on the bike.

The look is a departure from the norm for Harley and sure to upset the traditional Harley rider IMHO.
I think the bike should have debuted in the Buell line first. The lines of the bike sorta look "Buellish" to me.
It will be interesting to see how the bike is received.

Lastly, I could never understand why cruisers were always so underpowered. A Mustang 5.0 will whoop the majority of them.
It took Honda's VTX to stir things up.

I'll shut up now:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
motoboy said:

It took Honda's VTX to stir things up.
I don't know enough about cruiser history but I don't think the release of the VTX is responsible for the VROD and others. There is no way Harley could have developed and produced the VROD starting when the VTX was released. These two bikes had to have been on the drawing board at the same time. In fact Harley is probably more than a little pissed that Honda hit the market first. You still could be right though. I suppose that a VTX concept or rumor could have stirred things up originally, but not the actual release.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts