Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked around, and this seems to be the best place for my little rant...so here goes.

Today at work, a customer and I got talking about debt, and my bike naturally comes up as it is the only debt I have. It went like this:

"Well, what kind of bike do you have?"

"A Ninja." :D

"..."

"..."

"That's not what you need. What you need is a Harley."

"I need a bike that doesn't leak oil." :rolleyes:

"Well, they may leak oil, but you will ALWAYS make your money back on them...50 years from now, when you sell it, you will make so much money off of it--"

"Sir, 50 years from now I will be 73, and probably dead. That is a long time to wait to make some money on a bike that leaks oil. Besides, only richboys can afford Harleys, I am a poor student. I got 4.99% on my Kawasaki, and it was $3,499 out the door. Can Harley offer me a deal like that, PLUS reliabliity?...Besides, Harleys are for old men and fags wanting to look macho when they are not doing accounting or dentistry during the daytime. I can't afford a $20,000 bike. Plus, the Ninja is very quick and fun to throw around twisty roads--"

"But Harleys aren't built for performance--"

"They SUUUURE aren't." :twofinger

"They are built for cruising..."

"I don't want to 'cruise', I want to SPEED." :twofinger

"But--"

"Ride safely, sir. What kind of Harley do you own?"

"I don't own one."

"Have you ever owned one?"

"No, but if I had the money I would buy one becuse I would not ride often..."

"So, this is the greatest bike in the world, the absolute pinacle, yet you have not so much as sat on one?! Have you ridden ANY bike before?"

"No, but if I had--"

"Have a nice day sir..." (walks away smirking...) :finger:

"They aren't bult for performance, they are built for...cruising..."

What a dumbass. Only in Texas.

On a bright note, a guy on a red R6 gave me a big thumbs up today. That would never happen from an arrogant Hardly rider...or dreamer, like this pig. lol

So, ladies and gentlemen...I want, no...I NEED to hear your Harley rants!!! Fire away!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Go back a few months on Harley trashing posts. I got a few good shots in. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think the H-D trashing is in a rest mode right now. At least for me. I can't think of anything more negative to say right now, or I would. :hurl:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Desert-Lad said:
Go back a few months on Harley trashing posts. I got a few good shots in. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think the H-D trashing is in a rest mode right now. At least for me. I can't think of anything more negative to say right now, or I would. :hurl:
I was just doing that when i found your fresh post. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That's more of an ignorant non-rider rant, not a Harley rant. There are plenty of dumbasses like that guy who spout even worse misinformation about sportbikes as the absolute truth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had that same conversation you had several times with the same responses but have changed my opinion recently.
On a recent trip to the Pacific coast and back, picking the most curvey roads for the route, I would estimate 80% of the bikes I saw were Harleys, 15% BMW and Japanese tourers and 5% or less were sport bikes. They all seemed to be having a good time, same as me. BTW 99% waved.

I think you can only cruise around town to the local gathering spots so much before it gets old and you want more. A lot of these Harley posers are getting out there and becoming motorcyclists.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man that is awesome, what an idiot!

I can't stand harley riders who are ignorant and don't wave, or just don't like sportbike riders.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Why get into a sensless argument of my bike is better then your bike or my bike is better looking then yours, or my bike is faster to on & on it can go?

Simply a idiotic waste of time & space on the board.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Smitty said:
Simply a idiotic waste of time & space on the board.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Life is going to hand you shitty cards. Why bitch about the bad things that happen when there are so many good things?

Yes, I am not fond of Harley riders myself, and more so because of where I live. I also have given up on waving to them as they are so hard core down here. When I lived in Atlanta, the Harley guys were your typical Harley guys: physicians and lawyers riding the 'Hell's Angels' bike. They were usually nice. Shit, here I go starting another rant. Sorry!

Just don't worry about what people think and say. If you like your bike and have fun with it, leave it at that. Your life is exactly that: YOUR life. Do what you want to do, not what others want you to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There really is no sense in arguing with people like that. I usually give them one or two word sentences to make them shut up and disappear. Arguing back at another person like that proves no point either really. If he wants a harley, then by god his mind is set on getting a "gud ol' amurrican mayde."

The 250 is an AMAZING bike for the money, I do have to agree. I'm in love with mine and drive it every day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JebusJames said:
There really is no sense in arguing with people like that. I usually give them one or two word sentences to make them shut up and disappear. Arguing back at another person like that proves no point either really. If he wants a harley, then by god his mind is set on getting a "gud ol' amurrican mayde."

Amwen to that. They think that way, in spite of the fact that the carbs are Japanese, as is the wiring harness, most all of the chrome if made in taiwan and shipped here, and the V-Rod's engine is produced by Porsche, a GERMAN company! A 'real' American bike, made with many FOREIGN parts!

The 250 is an AMAZING bike for the money, I do have to agree. I'm in love with mine and drive it every day.
The little Ninja reminds me of my ex-Japanese girlfriend: small, tossable, great proportioning, and...most of all...SHE'S A SCREAMER! lol

That last part is what I love the most.

·
Registered
352 Posts
lol....

just last night i was borrowing my pals 1995 ninja250r and on the way back home, while waiting on a red left turn signal, 2 harley doods pulled behind me, they sat there reving the bikes. light went green i took off, i glanced behind me and the one guy stalled his pig...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Xx954HxCafexX said:
lol....

just last night i was borrowing my pals 1995 ninja250r and on the way back home, while waiting on a red left turn signal, 2 harley doods pulled behind me, they sat there reving the bikes. light went green i took off, i glanced behind me and the one guy stalled his pig...
Isn't that just like them: they're always tougher when they outnumber sportbikers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
wheelie123 said:
Isn't that just like them: they're always tougher when they outnumber sportbikers. :rolleyes:
I love how they figure bigger engine always = faster bike. I suppose they don't understand elementary physics such as the power to weight ratio principle so many HARDCORE sportbike and sportscar devotees know by heart.

Yes, it is just like them to stall their land yachts, as they try to revv to 13,000 with a Hardly engine...which is like trying to win a race against Nicky Hayden on a Paigio scooter versus what Hayden is normally known for riding. lol Their redline is what, 6,500? Oooohhh...I am so intimidated. Fear the buckets of torque they claim to have! FEAR THEM!!!

Even when Harleys dragrace they lose against the best from Japan. Example: I was watching the Speed TV Harley propaganda show hosted by some blonde with the IQ of a dingbat, it was called "American Thunder"...oh, scarry for us "rice riders" huh? At any rate, they were showing a Harley team building and campaighning a drag bike, from the engine up, thousands were spent converting this thing to a race bike. In the end, it was quick, but they had likely spent over 2x as much as another team, which fielded a modded Hayabussa, and already had a stout and proven performance platform to build onto. With a Harley engine and chassis, you have to re-create so many mundane components that bikes like the GSX1300R already have ready for hard competition, JUST to TRY to compete. Well, the funniest part, and the part that was most memorable, was that the Harley team lost by nearly a SECOND on average with every run down the strip against this cheaper "japcrap" Hayabussa. The funniest part was how the dumb blonde host commented on how they were eliminated early on in the season, and then she said
" better luck against 'them' next time". lol

They want to shame those 'japcrap' bikes so much, but don't want to realize that more valves, less internal friction, and a higher RPM celing equal more power. All natural benefits of an INLINE (aka inline-four) DOHC design. Hell even funnycar drag racers have a redline of like, 8 grand, and they are pushrod designs. They did not take a Chevy 350 and say: "Hey! Let's lower the RPMs to a max of 3,500 to make more power!!!" Hell no! They say: "Hey, let's raise the revvs to 8,000, and hope it stays together just long enough to make it down the track."...which is often how long pushrod engines last under such hard acceleration and under such very high states of tune.

They want to compete, but when they lose, they take their ball and go home crying. I won't even go into how Yamaha handed Harley it's own ass back in the 70s or 80s dirt track scene, and Harley, with their political clout in the US, got Yamaha's "overly-competitive" and "copying" design banned, leaving Harley, all alone to win on the dirt ovals. So when the 'japs' play a different game, they cry, but when they build a better mousetrap of a similar (pushrod v-twinkie) design, they squeal like the little pig sows that they are. How un-American of them to hate fierce competition.

"Friggi'n idiots! Gosh!" lol

Sorry for the LONG post, but no one told you to read it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
If they enjoy being on two wheels all the more power to them.

As for non riders spouting propoganda, turn the other cheek. Or just ignore them

·
Registered
659 Posts
I worked with a guy who had a Harley when I had a Katana. I never had a minute's trouble out of that bike. He told me that if he went out in the garage in the morning and there weren't drops of oil under his bike, he knew that it was time to put more in. He was cool though - he didn't mind if we shared a parking spot.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Up here I've found them to pretty much be dicks. I'd say unfriendly, but it goes way beyond that. Up here there are outlaw Harley gangs, and they hate. . . .and I mean hate. . . sportbikes. Doesn't bother me. Life's too short to get brought down by other peoples' narrow mindedness.

Life's all about the ride. :thumb: :cool:

·
Registered
675 Posts
if your really trying to express your opinion and you are upset they aren't waving then instead of waving your hand by them wheelie by them and wave your front wheel......

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

:thumb: +1 to what Vash, mkeeney, wheelie123, and mainerdr just said.

Life is way too short to worry about what brand other people are riding. If the "complainers" are not balanced atop two wheels, don't become preoccupied with their silly and inaccurate statements.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
12 Posts
2005Ninja250R said:
I love how they figure bigger engine always = faster bike. I suppose they don't understand elementary physics such as the power to weight ratio principle so many HARDCORE sportbike and sportscar devotees know by heart.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that most 'hardcore' Harley riders are not hardcore motorcyclists. Just posers, like many of the sportbike riders I see around here, none of which understand those same physics; just like those 'hardcore sportscar' enthusiasts who bought their Porsche or Corvette because it will help them pick up 'chicks.

Many of the people who ride 'Hardleys' are intelligent people, who, in our eyes, made a poor choice of motorcycles. You'd be surprised what they do and don't know, however.

There are very few 'hardcore xxxx devotees' of any kind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts