Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
What are you new, those have been around for a while, I know I wouldn't mind having one for carrying my laptop and what not. Kawie has one and I'm sure she'll chime in from work on Monday.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
While they are cool, something to remember is that backpacks are not recommended for use by motorcycle riders by any of the various safety groups.

They want bike riders to use, if they have to, tank bags.

The reason is because a backpack raises the center of gravity by quite a bit and this will affect the handling and safety of the bike.

To these safety orgs, this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
fasterbusa said:
While they are cool, something to remember is that backpacks are not recommended for use by motorcycle riders by any of the various safety groups.

They want bike riders to use, if they have to, tank bags.

The reason is because a backpack raises the center of gravity by quite a bit and this will affect the handling and safety of the bike.

To these safety orgs, this is unacceptable.
See now I can see the point on that, but I would rather raise the center of gravity then to have the load shift while in a turn and rock the bike.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I guess it would depend on how much weight you were going to typically carry and how far you were going to ride.

As a general rule, if the weight is on the bike in a tank bag, then you will be less fatigued as you were not carrying the weight on your back and you were not subjected to wind forces such as drag and buffering.

Now, if you only carry 20 pounds and only ride 50 miles or so, that would probably be ok.

100 pounds and going 400 miles at a clip, such as if you were on a trip, then you would have the makings of a possible disaster.

On my Busa, as it is fully faired, it will move alot due to the wind, if you are getting hit from the side. Crossing open areas in high wind, you have to be careful from the sudden wind gusts in these areas.

I know that on my bike, being the size I am, when I used to commute to AA with my 17 inch lappy, you could really feel the effects of the wind on the backpack. It was like adding a sail.

However, if one pays attention when wearing the backpack, it is not really that bad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know the MSF points out to carry all the loads as low as possible and within their triangle principal (top of head to front and rear axles)....I've used both backpacks and Givi Hard bags (50 liter) on my RF9 and haven't had too many issues...with hardbags can tend to unweight the front wheel a little but if overloaded but you deal with it.....I would think the biggest issue with the backpack would be something to land on when/if you fall....

I've got a tank bag that's pretty much a permanent attachment to my bike and use it extensively with work stuff. Planners, prints, etc fit no problem...a bigger bag should handle a laptop ok too....There's always the bungee net to strap the backpack/laptop case to the rear seat as well....all work ok if done right.....personally certified to WAY more MPH than necessary....

Justin

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
As you say.
However, I would think that carrying a lappy in either a tank bag or a tail bag would be asking for problems.
In a backpack (properly designed for carrying lappys) the verticle forces would be operating against the bottom edge of the laptop and would minimize the effect of that force. One of the strongest areas of the laptop would be the edges, when stood vertically.

When laid down, either screen up or screen down, all of the vertical force would be acting on the large surface and exposing the screen to posible damage.

Generally, the human body acts very well as a shock absorbing structure and when on a motorcycle, the major force component to worry about would be the vertical one. The body of the rider would protect the computer from the impact of the horizontal force component (unless an accident occured, something not dealt with herein).

just my :2cents:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the axio swift hardpack (axio-usa.com) and it has it's pros and cons.

Pros:
It's cool looking
It's a lot easier to care my books in than a tank bag
The zippers are more industrial so they don't tear while your riding like a few of the regular back packs did.

Cons:
If your going to do long trips it's still going to hurt your shoulders
How there designed is better for books or a laptop, not clothes or shoes for an over night stay.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"What are you new, those have been around for a while...."
Um....married, with children......more than one hobby....ect......:)

I actually have too many backpacks already.
One full of mountianbike daypack gear,
One for my dunebuggy,
One for one of my two jeeps,
One for work, with work related stuff.
Two for work and home, which I alternate depending on what I want for reading material, Maxim mags, Bike mags, Jeep mags, other bs, music, bills, projects, or my child's school activites/homework.

My thoughts on Hardpacks...
Possibly unsafe for rider during a crash, a little too trendy for me,
How much my back might hurt during rides of any distance with more than ten pounds in one,..."and I have no back problems thus far..." since I know how much pounds adds up for long rides in your ass and back, like backpacking or carrying infants,
and the thoughts of how much more money I'll need to spend when the fad hits public schools if it does.:p

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
fasterbusa said:
...a backpack raises the center of gravity by quite a bit and this will affect the handling and safety of the bike...
Not sure I buy into the "centre of gravity" debate. How is having a guy wear a backpack any different to putting a bigger, heavier rider on the same bike? Either way, the centre of gravity is raised, so what makes one safer than the other???

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
In general terms, the CG of a bike with no rider is close to 6 to 10 inches below and a little foreward of the seat area.

When a person sits on a bike, there CG is located low down, as in their backside when seated.

This is because most males have the bulk of there weight centered around their navel area or a little lower.

A tall rider normally has longer legs, while the torso is still relatively the same length as a rider of normal heights. This means that the CG is still relatively centered around the same place.

Now consider a rider carrying a backpack. Neglect the wind forces.

A rider siting on the bike carrying a 50 pound backpack has now raised the CG considerably because the 50 pound pack is small and centers the weight in a small area. This centering directly opposes the normal CG and raises it approximately 1 to 2 feet.

The CG will be affected less if the rider is heavy, but if the rider is light, it will affect the CG by a greater degree.

The CG is now physically raised or higher from the ground than it was before the addition of the backpack. This effect is very noticable in a turn. In a straight line, the effect is minimal if one only worries about the effect of gravity.
However, in a wind, the higher CG can have a negative effect on the rider as the higher CG can act as a sway amplifier, increasing the leaning effects of the rider.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I guess I don't understand the "crash factor". A back pack is not going to place that much difference into you dying or not in a motorcycle accident or how comfort it will make the situation.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
fasterbusa said:
In general terms, the CG of a bike with no rider is close to 6 to 10 inches below and a little foreward of the seat area.

When a person sits on a bike, there CG is located low down, as in their backside when seated.

This is because most males have the bulk of there weight centered around their navel area or a little lower.

A tall rider normally has longer legs, while the torso is still relatively the same length as a rider of normal heights. This means that the CG is still relatively centered around the same place.

Now consider a rider carrying a backpack. Neglect the wind forces.

A rider siting on the bike carrying a 50 pound backpack has now raised the CG considerably because the 50 pound pack is small and centers the weight in a small area. This centering directly opposes the normal CG and raises it approximately 1 to 2 feet.

The CG will be affected less if the rider is heavy, but if the rider is light, it will affect the CG by a greater degree.

The CG is now physically raised or higher from the ground than it was before the addition of the backpack. This effect is very noticable in a turn. In a straight line, the effect is minimal if one only worries about the effect of gravity.
However, in a wind, the higher CG can have a negative effect on the rider as the higher CG can act as a sway amplifier, increasing the leaning effects of the rider.
Thanks for the explanation. :thumb:

FTR, I couldn't imagine carrying that much weight in a pack! I ride with a backpack to work. At the absolute most, I've put about 10lbs in it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I rode with a fully stuffed pack almost all of the time(except when going for an easy joy ride). As long as the pack has a waist strap I never had any problems with it hurting my shoulders or fatigue or anything. I have a Dakine bag with a waist and sternum strap. It does a good job keeing things from moving around. Jonathan rode 120miles with it stuffed full...ask him how riding to school with his DC bag with only a sternum strap was...every time you turn to check your blind spot the wind would try to take it.

With a hard pack...just think of it like a turtle spinning on his back. When you stop moving stick your arms and head back out and you'll be all set.

Just though this was funny...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would just get an insurance rider for a laptop/notebook before I would be carrying it around alot outside of my home, work, or car...depending on how often and where it. Then i'd just use any backpack.
Anybody want some cheap used backpacks?
My child goes thru one a year.......lol....

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I thought that 2 of the hardshell kind looked very cool. However, when I looked more into them, I felt that they just did not have enough carry space in them.

Oh well. It is kind of surprising how heavy a lappy and a few law books can get.

But it was always much nicer to go to the University on the bike than in a cage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts