Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is a new one.
This isn't easy, but the players have got better and better, so the level increased :D
Tell me if you need any help, hint or whatever ;)

What bike, year etc.
Sorry for the patchwork on the tank but I don't have photoshop or anything else than Microsoft photo editor :(

Aris

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK since I saw there are 35 views already and no replies, I thought It woul dbe useful to give some hints :)

The bike is by an Italian manufacturer who was well known for Motocross machines (like this one) at the time this bike was built, but now they are very well known (and world champions many times) for the bikes they make for another off road sport.

I hope this is helpful, but not too much :D

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Aris,

You are correct this is a hard one! Is it a Minarelli? It looks like it has a watercooled head. Year must be somewhere around 1980.

Andy

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've been looking all morning, and haven't found it. But here are my Thoughts so far.

Italian Bike manufacturer, famous for offroad (Non-motocross) bikes: Cagiva (Trials), Maico(well, those are motocross bikes).

Other possibility, Laverda, but Laverda doesn't seem to still make bikes, and your clue included that they are still in business.

It appears to be a 125 CC, or possibly smaller. No way that thing is a 250, that engine is tiny, plus so is the exhaust tubing and silencer.

Its somewhere after 1980. Those appear to be Penske shocks. Most bike manufacturers were using a mono shock by 1983 (from what I've seen). Am I on the right track, Aris???

If I have to enter a guess right now, 1981 Cagiva 125 sx. But, I can't find a picture of it, so I don't know for sure.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

Kevlar you were on the right track, but titomike is spot on!
It's the 1981 Beta CR125 . Beta nowadays makes scooters and lightweight motorcycles but they are famous for their Trials machines!
Beta won many Trials (indoor and Outdoor) championships in last 15 years with Jordi Tarres (1987,1989, 1990,1991) and Dougie Lampkin (1997,1998,1999).
Congrats man, this wasn't an easy one ;)

More info can be found here:

http://www.betamotor.com/media/gallery/historical/1981cr125/cr125fr.html

Actually I wanted to creta a trivia about the Beta MX6, a 50cc Cross that was the bike to have when I was at school, but couldn't even find a picture of it!

Aris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts