Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oooohhhh I didn't realize it was jetted...
Who did the work??

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think I may need new plugs, and at about $8 each, they ain't cheap. My bike is hard to start when cold. You have to have exactly 1/2 choke, not full, not 3/8 or 3/4, but half, and then the engine cranks for a good 10 seconds, sometimes longer.

After a good, hard run, the bike will start right up w/no choke for about the first 10 minutes. Once it starts to cool down, even if the engine still feels hot, I need the choke to start it, but once it starts I can shut the choke off and it runs great.

Is this a too-lean condition? The bike doesn't backfire at all when snapping the throttle shut from a high rpm blast. I've read that's an indicator of running lean.

What do you folks think? Oh yeah, the battery is fine, plenty of juice in it.

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"

G

·
Sounds like you got a cold blooded kat!

Just for fun, put the choke on half, and hold the throttle half open and then crank it ...

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming that you have put a good number of
miles on the bike with the same set of plugs
I would change them first before we start
to get into lean/rich mixture trouble
shooting. Always go for the easy solution first.

If that's not the problem than it does sound
like a lean mixture problem. When the air
is cold, it is denser. This allows more air
to 'fit' into a smaller area (volumetric
effeciency). What happens is that your carbs
are dumping in a pre-regulated amount of
fuel without any sensors to tell it to lean
or richen the mixture such as FI does with
MAF or MAP sensors. Chances are that it's
just the plugs.

If not - have you run it through a cold season
before with no problems?? Could very well
be that you have a small vacuum leak - add
cold air and you run way too lean.

Let us know.
Chris

Doh! I just realized your in TX so cold air
isn't happening there. Try the plugs, if
not try what Squid said and tell us the results.
You could be runnig lean for any number of
reasons but it could just be weak spark.

------------------

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmm. Okay, I'll give it a try. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way to have to buy the plugs out of my pocket. Reason is that I have a big 'ol extended warranty that covers stuff like that. The last time I had my valves adjusted, they changed the plugs too. At least that's what the "maintenance performed" section said. Do you think I should bring it to the dealer, and tell them that it's hard to start when cold? If they find out that I jetted the carbs, they may try dealer bs trick #3,419 "oh, you've just voided you're warranty and your service agreement". Don't want that to happen, since I've got another year left on the warranty/service contract and valve adjustments on my bike are $280.00 PLUS TAX. Opinions?

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"

G

·
One more question ?? Do you shut off your petcock after the 10 minute sit ?? Sounds kinda like its flooding??

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
104 Posts
Chris,

I did the work, and was very careful. Not bragging, but I am very mechanically inclined. The jets weren't changed, per the jet kit instructions. I changed the needles and reset the float levels. The bike runs fine, with only a slight flatspot between 7500-8500. It's just a b*tch to start when cold. Someone not familiar with the bike (i.e. not me) would have a very hard time with it.

------------------
Cosmo

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you drill out the idle mixture screw caps
and adjust the mixture screws also?? I assume
you did..

I would start with plugs and looking for
vacuum leaks. That's my best guess. Keep
me informed and I'll do my best to help ya
figure it out.

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
Grrrrrr! It's friggin' POURING RAIN today. Noah himself wouldn't sail his ark in this rain. I rode last night for a little while. Just a quick blast around town. It didn't give me too much trouble starting yesterday. The temp was about 82 or so. Do you think it's possbile for me to have a vacuum leak? The bike is only 3 years old, and I don't think the hoses could've rotted out that quickly. I will look though. Probably a disconnected hose, right? Thanks Chris.

------------------
Cosmo

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cos -

It very well could be, as you know. 3 years
is enough time for something to go wrong.
Cripes man, I've rattle all kinds of parts
off of my R1 already. :rolleyes:

Just keep me informed and I'll help as much
as I can.. I've had many a 'bouts with carbs.

Good Luck,
Chris

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts