Sportbike World banner

Hard Drive Help

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  RRDon 
#1 ·
I just got back from my honeymoon and tried to transfer my digital pictures from a laptop to the desktop. The laptop will not boot up no matter what I try. When I check the BIOS, it says that there no hard drive detected. After checking a the Toshiba website (it's a satellite laptop), I've come to the conclusion that the hard drive has crapped out. I can still hear it spinning, but it just isn't recognized.

On the same website, I read that it may be possible to recover some of the data by connecting the laptop HD to my desktop. I'm in the process of locating the adapter to do so(all the local stores are sold out).

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

I'm desperate. I have traditional pictures of the wedding and honeymoon, but there were some shots that were taken with the digital only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G
#2 ·
How old is the laptop ? I've seen people get warranty on old stuff, you just have to fight ...

A laptop HD is expensive.... But Im sure you knew that.
If you get the adapter do you need the software to read the HD ?

#3 ·
I had a HD crap out on me once, and I know that it didn't sound the same as when it worked. It made a clicking sound about every .5 seconds. Also, my buddy's did the same, but rather than clicking, it just sounded like the bearings went bad and made this loud kinda grinding/vibration sound.

If yours sounds the same as it always did, then I would check the cable to the hard drive, or however it connects to the laptop's motherboard. I have had IDE cables come loose before and the computer said the same thing yours did, "Hard drive not recognized" or some s**t. I took the cover off, tightened up all the connections, and VOILA, back in business. Try it out before dropping a few hundred on a new drive bro. Good luck...!!!

#4 ·
Squid,

It's my bro-in-laws laptop and it's out of the warranty period.

That's a good question about the software. I assumed that with the adapter the laptop HD would be recognized just like a normal HD.

Brutha,

I've heard those sounds from other HD's before, but this one still sounds normal. I was thinking the same thing about a loose connection, so I took the cover off yesterday. The laptop HD simply plugs in to the board. There is no cable. I cleaned the pins and made sure the HD was properly seated, but still no luck. :(

PS: If anyone knows a good online source for this adapter, please let me know. I'm in the process of trying to track one down.

G
#5 ·
RRDon said:
Squid,

It's my bro-in-laws laptop and it's out of the warranty period.

That's a good question about the software. I assumed that with the adapter the laptop HD would be recognized just like a normal HD.
The adapter is only for the physical connection. Your HD is toast, if it doesn't work in the laptop it won't work in the PC. The adapter is only half of the puzzle, you need HD recovery software. .. . The software will only allow you to recover the data from the HD.... Again the HD is toast and will have to be replaced.

#6 ·
Squidwannabe said:
.... Again the HD is toast and will have to be replaced.
Me--->sticking fingers in ears saying " I CAN"T HEAR YOU " :D

Ok, I get it, the HD has shit itself. I guess I was hoping that the problem with the laptop could be in the motherboard (a long shot). Anyway, I found the adapter. Now I need to find a data recovery program, any ideas?

#9 ·
there are companies you can send the HD to and they will recover the info off of them. if you want, email me and i'll get you that info. it costs lotsa cheese tho... but if you don't have it backed up then it might be worth it...

i think we all can learn an important back up lesson from you!

#10 ·
I've found a few sites for those data recovery services. You are right, VERY expensive.

I would have backed up the files, but I only had a CD rom drive for this laptop, so I was kind of stuck. :(

I have not given up hope yet. I just ordered the adapter that will allow me to connect the HD to my desktop and I've found some data recovery software. I'll let you know how it goes when my order arrives.

G
#11 ·
RRDon said:
I've found a few sites for those data recovery services. You are right, VERY expensive.

I would have backed up the files, but I only had a CD rom drive for this laptop, so I was kind of stuck. :(

I have not given up hope yet. I just ordered the adapter that will allow me to connect the HD to my desktop and I've found some data recovery software. I'll let you know how it goes when my order arrives.

Next time don't take it scuba diving , ok ?

#13 ·
I just recovered a HD a few weeks ago, for my father. He owes me big time. I saved him thousands of dollars. It's not an easy process. Unfortunately, you can not buy what I reccomend most, Partition Magic 4.0. The latest version is crap, in many ways, but still decent if you avoid certain things. It can repair corrupted partitions, in coordination with some Fdisk, and master boot record re-building, you should be able to get all or most of your data. What software did you buy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.