Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About an hour ago I was in a parking lot practicing panic stops. Whenever I would do a really hard stop, the oil light would come on. After a small rev, it would turn off again, till I did another panic stop. This has never occured under normal braking, just panic. Is it normal?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sounds weird. Check your oil levels to make sure your not running low or to high. If you have the MOM for you bike you might check in their to and see what can cause the oil light to come on.

Good luck, and hope its nothin big,

Sepias

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sounds like it might be low but I could be wrong. My thinking is that the oil sensor is somewhere in the bottom of the crankcase, and when you stop so quickly all the oil heads quickly toward your front wheel, making an inacurate reading for the censor.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You're low. If I had to guess, I'd say you changed your oil and filter and didnt check the oil level after you started the engine and the filter filled up.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You may have a bad sensor...

When was the last time you checked the oil level?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont want to insult you or anything, but you are sure you did it right, with the bike upright, not at any angle... and the engine has been run since the oil was filled. So the oil is at the top middle or bottom of the window?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the centerstand, in the middle of my level garage floor, and it's been a couple weeks since I changed the oil, so yes, it's been run. For about 500 miles, in fact. After returning from a trip, engine nice and hot, the level settles down at about 2/3 full in the window. When I just checked it 10 minutes ago, after a cold night in the garage it was about 1/2 way full in the window. The point is, whenever I check it, it's always close to the 1/2 window spot. The light never comes on under normal riding, just under super hard, right-before-the-tire-locks-up type of stopping. And don't worry, I'm not insulted.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i always thought that cold it would read higher cause its had all the time to drain, and hot read low cause it hasnt settled?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me.
Do me a favor, have someone hold the bike upright without the centerstand, just on the wheels. Check the level again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done. Had my mom hold the bike up and swing the centerstand down just to where it touches the ground, to make sure it wasn't leaned over any. Oil was right in the middle.

I forgot to add one detail when describing how I check the oil. When it's up on the centerstand, it leans foreward ever so slightly, thus making the bike ever so slightly uneven. So I take a two by four, lift the front of it up just to where both wheels are the same distance off the ground, and I wedge the chunk of wood between the wheel and the ground. That's my way of making it a one-man-job.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
i always thought that cold it would read higher cause its had all the time to drain, and hot read low cause it hasnt settled?
Hot oil expands just like hot air thus taking up more space.

Does the oil light lite up brightly when your brake or is it dimmer than it should look? It could be blead over light from one of the other indicators on your dash. Or maybe a crossed wire. You might check your MOM to see what can cause that light to go off, it could be that it is suppose to under certain contidions that could be met by the hard braking.

Sepias

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was just reading the MOM for my bike and it says that it is normal for the oil light to come on under hard acceleration or deceleration. At least on my bike.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SepiasSoul said:
Hot oil expands just like hot air thus taking up more space.

Does the oil light lite up brightly when your brake or is it dimmer than it should look? It could be blead over light from one of the other indicators on your dash. Or maybe a crossed wire. You might check your MOM to see what can cause that light to go off, it could be that it is suppose to under certain contidions that could be met by the hard braking.

Sepias
All the indicator lights are in one small cluster. No other lights come on, so it's not light from another indicator.

If this happens to other people, and even says that it's normal for other bikes in their manual, then I suppose it's normal for mine too. Now I'm just kinda curious as to why...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Like I said before, not possitive, but when you are doing a panic stop, you are sending all the wieght of the machine, including the oil toward the front wheel at a much higher force than you do when you normally stop. Im sure this just makes it hard for the oil sensor to make an acurate reading about how much oil is in the case, since it is no longer level and in a balanced position the way it is ment to work. Not really sure how an oil sensor works, but that would be my best hypothosis.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree it is reading low because all of the oil is being pushed forward and tells the sensor its low at the peak of hard braking. Also I agree that a cold bike should read higher than a bike just run, true that oil may expand when warm, but not enough to compensate for the fact that just after running a good amount of oil is not yet drained back into resevoir. the only way I can see a warm bike reading higher, is if its run, and then given ample time for ALL the oil to drain back to resevoir. I always check my oil cold, or I let it sit after running for a while before checking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts