Sportbike World banner

Hands hurt after riding....

13K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  marvlover 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.....I'm a new rider and a new memeber to this website. About 2 months ago I bought my first bike, an 05' GSXR-600 and I'm lovin the riding scene. Contrary to what other people may say, I think that this was a great choice for my first bike.

Anywho, I've had some problems with my right hand falling asleap and my left palm hurting after riding for a little bit. I know that this could be because of posture, which I don't really know the correct one. Could it also be that because my bike is such an aggressive ride, I may need to adjust my setup? I'm looking for any tips from those experienced riders out there.

#2 · (Edited)
Straight off the bat, I'd have to suggest that it's your posture.

Your back and legs should be doing the work, not your arms and hands.

Also, make sure you're not gripping the bars too tight. I think it was Vash who said that it's like holding a wet sponge without squeezing any water out.

Oh, and make sure your glove straps aren't too tight. You want them to stay on, but you don't want them to restrict blood flow to your hands either.

Try these threads for more discussion on this:

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50595&highlight=sore+hands

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39714&highlight=sore+hands

Edit: thread links

#6 ·
A good 25% of the new riders on sportbikes come out with the same question regarding their hands. We try to point out some things to do & after a while they have simply cought onto it on their own.

Mind you the death grip, as used by most beginners is NOT necessary. I have 3 sportbikes & ones before these three. In riding the mtn twisties be they narrow 2-lane or some of the rare 4-lane my hands are very relaxed on the bars. Only the pinky & 4th finger are doing any grip while index & 3rd finger are sort of floating free yet are often used to cover the levers when I have traffic in front of my & ALWAYS when I am in a town or city streets as the reaction time is THAT much faster.

Yes I control the throttle with the greatest of ease in this position of covering my levers.

#7 ·
When I first moved from the Buell Blast to the F4, I noticed that my shoudlers would ache after a few minutes of riding, and my hands always hurt, and I was wondering how in the heck anybody could get used to riding like that!

I happened to mention my issues to spicersh in passing, and he gave me pretty good advice.

I stopped bearing weight on my arms and switched to gripping the tank with my legs and forced myself to quit choking the grips. Because I had improper riding position for a few months, I had to constantly recheck myself. Once I started relaxing (that was definitely part of the shoulder ache and sore hands) and got into the groove of a different position, I noticed that I was much less sore, and the riding was much more enjoyable.

#8 ·
Another thing is to get the balls of your feet up on the pegs. That helps to take the weight in your legs and back, unloading your arms.

#9 ·
Its difficult to get your body to support itself with back and ab muscles intead of hands. You want to get yourself to the point where there is no weight on your hands at all, except for the weight of the arms themselves. Its possible but takes a concious effort for a few weeks.

#10 ·
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it. So I should basically support my weight on my legs, abs, and back and try and keep it off my hands...right. I don't really have a problems with the grip that I have, I do grip lightly.

The part that hurts me is the palms of my hands, from holding up my upper body weight. But hopefully after getting used to this new style I won't be hold my weight up anymore. I did just buy some new gloves and I was shocked that they cost $80. I don't really strap them down tightly at all, I think that my whole problem is that I put all of my weight on my palms.

As far as the position on my seat, I have lately been sitting very far back cuz that's what I thought you were supposed to do. When I first started riding 2 months ago I sat with my "junk" pressed up against the tank. Then after watching bike racing on TV I noticed that they sit very far back on the seat, so I thought that I was supposed to do that. Do your backs ever hurt after riding? I'm wondering cuz that's what is supporting your weight.

#11 ·
For my money, sitting with your 'junk' against the tank, combined with gripping the tank with your legs, gives you a bit more 'body control' over the bike.

Your back and legs will get used to riding properly. It's all a matter of conditioning.

#12 ·
Use your abs, & leg muscles to help take the weight off your arms & hands. You will always feel some arms & shoulder strain & that is good for when riding a sportbike I know I am doing a lot of work like I would be doing in the gym be it leg press, & all the moves to work on my back, shoulders, & arms.

#13 ·
You should have about 1"-2" between the family jewels and the tank. Just enough so that you wont hurt yourself if you gotta stop.

Yeah, the back does hurt after a while, but the more you get used to it, the easier it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.