Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a 9MM/.40 cal semi-auto handgun. I was looking at the Glock 17 / 17L / 34, but I have a problem. I am a lefty, and I am sick of owning handguns with the safty and clip release on the left side of the gun. Is there such a thing as a handgun this style which has those items located on the right hand side of the gun?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like Glocks because....They are light, very reliable and easy to maintain.

I DON'T like Glocks because....their triggers BLOW, and to me, seem unsafe....

Before you flame me....My best friend has the 10mm glock and it shoots VERY well. EXTREMELY accurate....

But...the trigger feels like a fuckin' kids toy.... :-(

If...you REALLY like to shoot...and would like something REALLY well made , reliable and pinpoint accurate ( without breaking the bank), then check out the CZ line of pistols...
Not sure if the mag release can be switched.. :-(
I have the CZ75 BD PCR, and it's ONE BAAAAAAAD ASS PIECE!!
SUPER accurate.
ULTRA dependeble...and.......
The trigger feels as crisp, smooth and predictable as my S&W 686.
can get hi caps for it and it holds 14 =1

I have a Beretta 92fs and it's a TOTAL chunk O' $hit compared to the CZ. :-(
I use it as a paperweight cause it's too big to carry) (the 92fs, that is)

Check it out and good luck in your search! :)

Jimmy G

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ZX6R1033-

They're a bit expensive, but you could always go for the completely ambidextrous Heckler & Koch P7 family of autoloaders. It has a squeezecock design and the magazine release is on both sides with no additional external safeties to slow the draw. Here is the .40 S&W version:

Here is the same pistol in the more compact 9mm size. I know that this was the official sidearm of the New Jersey State Police for a number of years. I'll have to see what I can do to find pictures where you can clearly see the vertical magazine release on both sides of the frame:

This is one topic (besides motorcycles) that I love to discuss! :love: I'm hoping that our friend Smitty also sees this thread and chimes-in with suggestions. Good luck with your research and next firearm purchase.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only thing i can chime in on this one is about the Glock. Have a Glock 21 and it is light but feels "cheap" also has wierd trigger pull to me which in turn throws off my aim. Perhaps it is something that i will grow into but who knows. I have now also heard of them exploding since my purchase.

Good luck finding a lefty

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I know that Joseph Dlask a Cdn pistolsmith/gun maker, dial in www.dlask.com & you will come up with a Cdn gunsmith/maker with CNC machinery that spent some time designing a semi-auto I am sure is in 9X19 to 40S&W but possibly 10mm or 45ACP I do not know. It will show on his sight. Believe he also has a shop in Blaine Wash though times have changed & he might not. Still some interesting guns he churns out.

This is the chap that had a Colt 45 Government Model made out for someone else, with all the bells & whistles only the customer could not come up with the money. Then a year later made a 45ACP to my specks with STI slide, Caspian frame, Bailey bbl & bushing, titanium trigger & hammer by him & so much more.

Also think I ran into something by Kimber(?) though note I question myself, that has a mag release on right side & possibly ambi safety as I have on a number of my semi-autos. I could have read that in a gun board or one of the recent issue of American Handgunner. Remember ambi safety release are easy to put on most center-fire h/guns.

I am not a Glock man either & prefer my Browning action guns along with my Browning P-35 & CZ-75.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cousin has a Glock 17C. I love the feel of it, with one exception... My pinky barely fits half way onto the handle. I definitly want a hangun with a full size grip. Small handguns are not my thing. I don't carry a sidearm, so size has never been an issue.

Also, nickle plated doesn't really interest me at all.

The handguns that blue posted pictures of look like nice guns, but they seem a bit small for what I am looking for.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the GLOCK 17. I am also left handed, it took a little getting used to but after a bit of shooting you get used to everything on the "wrong" side. I asked around when I had to buy my gun, but I was told that there wasn't anything out there specifically for left handers. I like the gun a lot....cheap for target practice. I have not had one problem with it.....I have had it for almost a year.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ZX6R1033-

You might want to research some of the larger .45 ACP models because I believe there are a few with safeties and magazine catches that can be reversed. If my memory is correct, I believe that Llama and/or Star offered a model with the ejection port on the left side of the firearm as well. You could also go with a revolver if you don't wish to be bothered with external safeties at all.

As an aside, the .40 S&W Heckler & Koch P7M10 models pictured above aren't small. They're made with a steel slide on a steel frame and weigh something like 42 ounces with an unloaded magazine. Click this interesting link for some additional details.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Most left-handed civiliarn people are not at home with revolvers ONLY the police all got the hang of them in the days prior to semi-autos being issued. One of the two f/arms instructors of this area for RCMP is a left hand shooter & is at home with his S&W semi-auto DA only 9X19.

If you were ever in competition with other PPC competitors, especially police or retired police, you would be amazed at the speed they can be from the sixth shot to the seventh shot being dumping the spent brass & use of a speed-loader I have seen some that did it in 4 to 6 seconds & still shot that tight that they would win-----------proof that trained to do it then can be darn fast.

Being right handed my fastest is 8 seconds & average is 10 to 12 seconds & best I have ever scored is 402 out of 500 while so many of these police or retired police are way up in the 400s which included some lefties. So not only are they more accurate shooters, but faster in speed-loading.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Smitty-

It has long been my belief that the revolver is vastly underrated as a great defensive firearm. With a bobbed hammer, a compact .357 Magnum is smooth on the draw from a holster, purse, or pocket. It has enormous ballistic energy, ease of operation, and supreme reliability.

All handgun enthusiasts should have at least one wheelgun, even if they generally prefer semi-automatics.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blue Jays said:
Hi Smitty-

It has long been my belief that the revolver is vastly underrated as a great defensive firearm. With a bobbed hammer, a compact .357 Magnum is smooth on the draw from a holster, purse, or pocket. It has enormous ballistic energy, ease of operation, and supreme reliability.

All handgun enthusiasts should have at least one wheelgun, even if they generally prefer semi-automatics.

~ Blue Jays ~

Been there, owned two. one was a .22, which was a somewhat fun toy... considering I was 12 when I owned it.

Something else I noticed today while I was reading about different firearms... It seems that ALL Glocks are 5.43" Tall. The 17C is 5.43" as well, and it isn't a very comfortable handgun for me to shoot.

That HK is still a VERY sweet handgun... but I'm not sure my pockets are deep enough for something like that, whereas a 17C can be had for $150.

I have definitly decided against going for an ambidextrous handgun... it seems too far beyond my reach. Now it is just a case of finding a handgun which fits my hands good without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ZX6R1033-

What about the SIG SAUER Certified Pre-Owned program? They make a bunch of really fine semi-automatic pistols and you could probably save quite a bit of money if you don't mind seeing a bit of holster wear on the sidearm.

Their U.S. headquarters is in Exeter, N.H. which can't be too far from you. What a cool place to take a vacation!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The USA & Cdn are two different worlds in more ways then one as we Cdns can only use a h/gun for target shooting at registered h/gun ranges & not all gun clubs are with certified ranges. The one in my home town is not, but the one just a few miles away is & that is the only one I have belonged to since first moving here in '61.

You see there is always a range officer in charge & said range officer & the range itself is apploved by the Provincial & Federal Govt, plus we have 5 million dollars in Liability insurance compared to the one in my town that anyone can shoot anything at any hr of the day & any day of the week. Quite a difference.

Also our guns, h/guns to all long bbl guns be they rifles or shotguns, are registered & to obtain a Possession & Acquisition License (PAL) we had to go through an extensive Cdn Firearms Safety course though some of us experienced shooters actually challenged the WRITTEN & PHYSICAL tests to pass with 82% or higher. The Fed Govt knows more about our history then they do about our Prime Minister of Canada who is now talking about BANNING H/GUNS--for that only came about in this latest election in Cdn as of yesterday.

We do NOT have the right to carry a h/gun for self-defense & even if someone enters our home with a f/arm we cannot use our h/guns or f/arms for self-defense to our home, family or self. Even if we had the time to get the keys to unlock the gun case, unlock the trigger locking systems & get the ammo from another locked place in another part of our house, let alone time to load the gun!!!!!!!!!!!

So some of these short bbled guns like that terrible "squeezer" by H&K are of no interest to us though I hav dry fired one. We are target shoots be we Bullseye, a IPSC, PPC or simply fun shooters & ALL of use can only purchase guns with 150mm or longer in length bbl which tells you that is around 5 or 6" for anything like a 4"bbl is 101mm & is the same as a 2" snubbie, obviously a "restricted" fun, that can be 'grandfathered" by someone that has had such short bbled guns for quite some time. ONLY they are ALSO planning on forcing us to turn in these grandfathered h/guns. Almost the same as they did to those with rifles that were classed as restricted like AR-15 or anything that looked like an "assualt rifle" in banning anyone from using them at registred ranges------all they are now is a "collectors" item at said owners home.

Still if it came down to a home defense gun I would want my revolver being a Colt 'Detective Special' as it is a 2" snubbie, round butted & six shots of 38Spl rather then the other snubbies with five shots. No need to rack back the slide, no need to release the safety of semi-auto. Just point & squeeze off the six rounds & if it came to an actual shoot-out & I could have cover then I do carry speed-loaders for it as well.

At some jewllery stores & such, of the USA, the owners have carried small & compact Walther semi-autos. In so many cases they forgot to rack the slide or release the safety. Now those that survived & others carried a bobbed hammer of a 5 shot revolver of 38Spl for the simplicity & same with cleaning & servicing it.

You do not need a 45ACP, 44 Mag or such to kill a person for in home defense you are only part of a room from each other & a 38Spl will still down a criminal or even kill him. Also some of us have seen video shoot-outs of a store owner & the criminal simply empty the mags of their semi-auto h/guns which ALSO proves they really did not know how to use a h/gun meaning no continual training. Like once a week or in my case twice a week at this club year in & year out for so many yrs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the glock 22 (full size 40 cal.), & I love it love it love it. Must agree that the trigger takes some getting used to, but after a few outtings its 2nd nature. Very lightweight and accurate, gotta love the tactical rail for lights/beams (In Glock we trust). Got the FN on my wishlist though (not really what you're looking for, but their very interesting). What other handgun can you shoot baby ak-47 bullets with minimum recoil? All I can say is shoot as many different guns as you can & see what fits you best.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Smitty-

The squeezecock function of the P7 series of pistols is absolutely fantastic and intuitive. All triggerpulls are of the same weight and is rendered safe when released. The only downside is that these pistols are incredibly expensive.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blue Jays said:
Hi ZX6R1033-

What about the SIG SAUER Certified Pre-Owned program? They make a bunch of really fine semi-automatic pistols and you could probably save quite a bit of money if you don't mind seeing a bit of holster wear on the sidearm.

Their U.S. headquarters is in Exeter, N.H. which can't be too far from you. What a cool place to take a vacation!

~ Blue Jays ~

mmm I'll def have to look into that.

Exter is about 2 hrs away... exactly half way between here and my hometown in VT. Exter, IMO, is not a good place to vacation. Besides... I dont get vacation time, my company sucks too much.

EDIT:

Tri State Fire and Police Equipment
Rt. 202 135
P.O. BOX 89
Winthrop, ME 04364
207-395-4996
800-342-4867
Fax: 207-395-4998
Email: [email protected]

Perfect... 20 min drive from work. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From sigarms.com
Classic Full Size P226

The P226 is the pistol that set the standard by which all other combat handguns are measured. In use by the US Navy SEALs, Federal agents, and numerous law enforcement agencies including the Texas Rangers, Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Michigan State Police to name a few; the P226 has continually proven itself. The P226's exceptional ergonomics and balance make this high capacity full-size pistol easy to fire. Its longer barrel yields better ballistic performance and accuracy. And its new solid stainless steel slide is Nitron® treated for added strength and wear resistance. The P226 is available in 9mm, 357 SIG or 40 S&W. An optional barrel allows conversion from 357 SIG to 40 S&W. The magazine release is reversible for the left thumb to release the magazine.

:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I fully agree for a 9X19 the P-226 has been the best avaliable for some time. When the RCMP Emergency Response Team was formed all were with P-226, though as the RCMP shifted from S&W M-10 wheel gun to S&W 9mm then when Constables were crying out for a P-226 & some would be cursing away when supplied with a S&W.

We have not seen any P-226 since they were so costly & whilt the Browning P-35 was even more costly it was not as good though the CZ-75 was looked upon as "The poor army h/gun" Though of interest is that CZ/USA has come out with a Special target gun. I take it this will not be with the bore that requires bullet tips of 356 to 358.

Dlask, he site I gave above & who made my two 45s had the CZ line-up then noted the oversized bore, asked them if he could supply the customers with proper sized bbls. They said NO so he dropped the CZ line toot-sweet.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts