Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcyclist should develop some commonly known hand signals.
Like pointing at the tank if you need gas during a group ride.

For example, something to warn riders going the other way if you just passed a cop with radar gun?

What do you know of for this and other situations?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Often before group riding people will take a moment to discuss what kind of hand signals to use. Usually they are all pretty standard and easy to figure out because yea everyone knows what you're trying to say if you point to your tank when group riding. To warn other riders up the road about police or hazards typically you'll just see the slow down wave which is palm facing the road and waving the hand up and down. Sometimes the heads up sign which is just a quick tap to the helmet and then pointing upwards. All of its pretty straightforward, just go ahead and ask around if you're unsure what you're group does with those things.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, and it's inportant to use hand signals, I meet a guy on a CBR 600RR at a gas station the other day, we went for a little ride, I was leading and hit my right turn signal to turn onto a side road. I was watching my mirror, and it looked like he wasn't gonna make the turn, I delayed my turn in and sure enough he went by on my right, while he was U turning to come back I took a look at my turn signal, for some unknown reason it was barly visable. Just a harsh reminder to me to check my lights before a ride, to use hand signals (they don't burn out) and watch my mirrors. I had not been riding that bike latly and I don't know what's up with the blinker, it is VERY dim now. I think I'll replace them before I ride that one again.

James.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As was stated earlier palm down, up and down wave means to slow down. Also a raised hand or stuck out leg means that you are turning, slowing, or coming off line, so it tells the rider behind you to be cautious.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'm a big fan of the shocker.

Attachments

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Signals one of the local clubs use:

To indicate to the rider behind you that you want him to pass or ride up next to you in the same lane - Run your arm back and forth alongside your bike on the side you want them to pass on.

To indicate you are moving to the other half of your lane - Stick your foot out in the direction you are moving

To let riders behind you know about a hazard in the road - Point at it with your foot or hand

To let the rest of the group know that you spotted a cop - Pat the top of your helmet with your left hand. Be sure to make this action noticeable to riders in the back of the group.

To tell another rider that they left their turn signal on - Hold your left hand up and repeatedly touch your thumb to your fingers.

To indicate that you need to get gas - Just point at your gas tank.

To indicate that you have spotted a hot chick in a nearby vehicle - Raise the roof. :eyebrows:

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
also known as the notorious "sixpacker"
Or the shocker :D

·
Registered
860 Posts
Jester said:
Or the shocker :D
good stuff :D
but i was wrong the sixpacker is a bit different then the shocker...as the shocker is done with the index, pointer and the pinky...the sixpacker is done with the pointer index and thumb...like carrying a six pack...:D

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
good stuff :D
but i was wrong the sixpacker is a bit different then the shocker...as the shocker is done with the index, pointer and the pinky...the sixpacker is done with the pointer index and thumb...like carrying a six pack...:D

Could be the bowling ball too, no?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
yes you could call it that for slang...but the bowling ball uses the index ring and thumb combo which is a little more dificult, so they tell me.:D
actually its the middle finger, not the index.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts