Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would imagine that there are a lot of different opinions on helmets. But my question is this. For increased visibility would you recommend that a beginner use a half helmet as oppossed to a full face? I have yet to try on a full face helmet, but I would imagine that a half helmet would have a wider range of visibility, thus making a beginner feel more comfortable. Any truth in that. Opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Case said:
I would imagine that there are a lot of different opinions on helmets. But my question is this. For increased visibility would you recommend that a beginner use a half helmet as oppossed to a full face? I have yet to try on a full face helmet, but I would imagine that a half helmet would have a wider range of visibility, thus making a beginner feel more comfortable. Any truth in that. Opinions? Thanks
Hello friends
I would 100% wear a full face, and more so for a beginner cause the odds of a mishap will be greater due to experience. so go for the protection.
Later all and stay safe
Michael Hansen
Laporte Tx usa
88 v-max
02 fz1 blue:)

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
All of the full face helmets I have tried on did not obstruct my vision in any way. I agree with michael, I would recommend a full face for everyone, regardless of experience level. If you put on a helmet that blocks your field of vision, chances are you have it on wrong (example: sideways or backwards)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Case said:
no less visibility.

But on a more serious note...you'd never see a sportbiker wearing a half helmet :D Cept maybe on a sport tourer...

(no insult intended to those who do!!!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I personally like the look of the full face to the half helmet so I am pleased with your opinions. As I had stated early I haven't tried on any yet, so I wasn't sure about vision. But looking at some helmets on different web sites, it would appear that your peripheral vision would be blocked. This is not the case, granted you have it on correctly as Spicersh suggests? Thanks for that suggestion by the way! ;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
With a half helmet one will also need a set of goggles & would really suffer when up to a decent speed.
In the days of Cromwell or other 'pudding basin' helmets at 100 to 115mph the wind was really taking its toll on the facial skin.
Besides who wants a bug (or more) to SMACK into the flesh, it is a jolt wen some hit the visor or other part of the full face helmet----what a mess even at normal hwy speeds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would say that it kinda depends on how much you like your face... I wouldn't have one today if not for the protection of a full-faced helmet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You do lose a few degrees of peripheral vision with a full face but not that much. Statistics have shown that a very miniscule amount of accidents occur in that area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never noticed any loss of peripheral vision with my helmet. But, for a common sence way of making the decision between a full face and a half helmet, go to a mirror, look at your face, and ask yourself how long you want it to stay that pretty....theres your answer:D

·
Registered
627 Posts
A friend bought her 1st bike & an open face helmet. I encouraged her to take it back & get a full face because she is so new to riding. Fortunately she did & a couple of weeks later when she went down in a corner on Hwy 1 the full face took a terrible beating right where her jaw would have been dragging on the pavement instead of her face.
Now if I had only been able to talk to her about buying a smaller bike to start out on instead of that 1200cc sportster:( but that is a whole different topic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Full face. The Hurt report (the only motorcylce accident statistics report ever comissioned by the government) concluded that most of the trauma to the head occured around the jaw. .02

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i went riding on saturday. i got stung in the throat by a wasp. i can't imagine how bad hitting the wasp with your face would hurt, much less gettin' stung afterwards.

by the way he did get to rip his stinger off, so it was pretty mild, but at 70+, it still hurt like an sob.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Buy the best full coverage helmet you can afford...period. It is the most important piece of equipment you will ever buy. Besides, anything less looks dorky as hell on a sportbike!!! jmo

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Ok, I will admit that there might be a tiny little spot on either side where your view is obstructed (although I have never noticed it). The best way to deal with this is a complicated move called "Turning Your Head". It's tricky, and takes a little while to get used to, but once you have mastered "Turning Your Head" a whole new world of sportbiking is opened up for you. After mastering something like this one is able to move on to more complicated moves like "Starting the Bike" and eventually you may be able to one day "Put It In Gear", but let's not get ahead of ourselves....baby steps....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, I'm glad this was posted in the New Rider forum. With all the sacarsm given' complements of "spicersh" in this thread I would hate to think how this same question might have been handled somewhere else. Half helmet verse full face for a beginner seemed like a legitamate question for a newbie who had never been on a bike, not to mention one who has never worn a helmet. :twofinger Regardless thanks for all the Real help and advice/comments. BTW with advice already received I purchased a SHOEI RF-900. Now I guess I'll just practice turning my head. Thanks again, "spicersh". :twofinger

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Case said:
Wow, I'm glad this was posted in the New Rider forum. With all the sacarsm given' complements of "spicersh" in this thread I would hate to think how this same question might have been handled somewhere else. Half helmet verse full face for a beginner seemed like a legitamate question for a newbie who had never been on a bike, not to mention one who has never worn a helmet. :twofinger Regardless thanks for all the Real help and advice/comments. BTW with advice already received I purchased a SHOEI RF-900. Now I guess I'll just practice turning my head. Thanks again, "spicersh". :twofinger
Hey man, I'm just bustin' your balls. No offense is meant in anything I say. I too am a newbie, I've only been riding two years and since the beginning there has been no question as to which type of helmet was required to ride these machines. I guess I just look at it as a self-preservation common sense type of thing. Not everyone thinks the same though. No, I'm not saying I'm smarter than anyone, just that everyone has different ways of looking at things. There are a lot of things some people would think of as common sense that I don't quite grasp (shut up spicerke, before you get yourself in trouble).
When it comes to my posts, a good deal of them may be somewhat sarcastic, but once in a great while there is also some useful information buried in them (not very often though). Take out the good and leave the rest. Nothing wrong with supplying advice with a little humor is there? Makes the day go by quicker.
By the way, good helmet, I had one of them until my recent get-off. I loved how comfortable it was compared to my old lead-filled HJC. It was somewhat quieter too, but earplugs take care of that (another rare piece of good advice). Anyway, ride safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No bitterness.

Spicersh, to be honest I find sacarsm to be my favorite type of humor, so there was really no bitterness on my part. Actually had to stop laughing before I could respond.

Seriously though, before posting this thread I did try and weigh the advantages, protection from the full face being the obvious. But never wearing a helmet, I thought that the question of peripheral vision was legitamate. Not having any idea how much the helmet blocked your vision, the idea of swiveling my head from side to side constantly to feel comfortable about what was going on around me, didn't seem like it would be too safe. However now that I have, tried on a full face, and bought one, I realize that one's vision is not comprised.

Ok, I'm off, to try that bike starting thing you were talking about. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
The full face helmet is the way to go. It offers the best protection from windburn, sunburn and crashing. It is the most comfortable and offers the best visibility. Over 35% of all impacts to the head are in the jaw area and no other helmet covers that spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go full face

Buy the best you can.
The two rules of thumb are:
1) If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet
2) If you have half a head, buy a half helmet

Seriously, I have taken enough large bugs and stones in the face shield to insure I will always wear a ful face helmet

·
Registered
19 Posts
The ONLY type of helmet I will wear is a full face. In my opinion they offer much better protection than the other types.

Just my opinion, but I would recomend a full face to you. :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts